December 2017 is fastly approaching!

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: December 2017 is fastly approaching!

Postby Telekill » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:32 am

killthesagabeforeitkillsu wrote:

Off Topic: Andromeda is a gigantic mess of a game.

I honestly don't see how. Maybe I got the only copy of the game that runs fine and is fun to play?

Telekill has received a thanks from: Esppiral
Telekill
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: Telekill
Currently playing: Detroit Become Human

Postby fittersau » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:39 am

Sonoshee wrote: I honestly wonder if YSNet did get some funds before the Kickstarter even started and they were able to work on the game to some degree. Two and a half years does seem like a small development period for a Shenmue game, even with the perks of UE4.

If we look at Nier Automata: an action orientated, story driven, music laden game, also developed on UE4, runs and looks beautiful. Began development in 2014, released in 2017 - 3 years development. 1 million sales in 1 month, rated 8.8/10 on average across gaming press and players. Took a significant portion of Platinum Games studio 197 staff to make.. so lets say 1/3rd say 60 people to deliver this level or product in this time frame. One other third working on the now cancelled Scalebound and the other third working on future projects or support projects for already released games during this period.

Nier Automata's play times:

https://howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=38029
PlayStyle Polled Average Median Rushed Leisure
Main Story 95 19h 06m 17h 03m 12h 28h 49m
Main + Extras 153 36h 19m 35h 42m 23h 34m 56h 30m
Completionists 51 55h 50m 53h 06m 40h 25m 77h 14m
All PlayStyles 299 34h 11m 33h 19h 46m 66h 47m

Comparatively Shenmue's play times are between 20-35 hours. https://howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=6591. So we should expect something similar for Shenmue 3. Shenmue 3's team is probably 20-30 people at best with an initially projected time frame of 2.5 years...

adom11800 wrote: I can't say I'm liking the fact some people are saying 'yeah 1 or 2 more years of waiting is no problem, we've waited this long.'

Sonoshee wrote:Because after so long waiting, we don't want an unfinished, buggy mess or something that Yu is unhappy with.
If they need more time, be it a year or so - and they have the funds to cover it - then by all means they should take it and not have to worry about backlash from fans or the Kickstarter crowd. I can understand people are desperate but we were even more desperate when we didn't even have a Shenmue 3 in production. Just let YSNet work their magic.

Precisely, I don't understand the mania behind whipping up support in this forum to meet some arbitrary deadline which given the real resources and time frame, Ys Net has at hand wouldn't be realistically be able to deliver a decent product.

The goal is Shenmue 3 and Shenmue 4. The team need to build something sustainable and also allows the profits to be funneled into Shenmue 4 so we can avoid the risk of another Kickstarter. Shibuya is really an investment agency, and it's defacto investors need to be paid as will Sony for it's marketing investments. Whatever's left over can then be put towards Shenmue 4 to attract existing or new investors to maintain or expand the team for Shenmue 4 (hopefully the conclusion). These are just some of the realities that need to met and go beyond simple pinning for a game on which the IP has been quite a risk in the past.
fittersau
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Spaghetti » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:13 pm

R.E: Nier - Platinum Games actually developed their own engine for it.

But either way, the staff/hours to complete numbers argument is apples and oranges, though. You can never compare development 1:1 like that.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Hazuki00 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:54 am

As Spags says, Nier has its own engine and that takes a lot more time.
Thats why Suzuki chose UE4 instead of creating an engine from scratch.

And the most important...maybe a few days until new update! Maybe this friday or next monday we'll have new material to comment, I'm eager to see what they show us :)
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Waiting for Shenmue 3

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:26 am

The goal should not be Shenmue 3 AND 4. They need to pour everything they got into 3 otherwise you will never see 4.

Even acknowledging that Nier: Automata is a niche game it had two big name studios working on it. Shenmue III is being developed by a indy team made with AM2 alumni and some young employees. If anyone thinks this game will have a AAA level of polish with a beautiful orchestral soundtrack they are creating their own disappointment.

When it comes to play times, it's irrelevant. If Shenmue doesn't deviate from the original structure, it really depends on you since the original titles actually had you think instead of shoving quest markers in your face.
killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Hazuki00 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:16 pm

It is not a big team but we don't really know how many people there are working right now, besides, I wouldn't say they are a Indy team because they are from AM2 who manages the differents departments. I think this is important, sometimes we forget that a lot of important people who worked at sega are working right now in Shenmue 3.

I'm confident that they will make a good job and if the game won't look like an AAA title, it won't be far from this. Suzuki is doing everthing he can to make shenmue 3 as good as the previous.
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Waiting for Shenmue 3

Postby Spaghetti » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:19 pm

Hazuki00 wrote: It is not a big team but we don't really know how many people there are working right now, besides, I wouldn't say they are a Indy team because they are from AM2 who manages the differents departments. I think this is important, sometimes we forget that a lot of important people who worked at sega are working right now in Shenmue 3.

I'm confident that they will make a good job and if the game won't look like an AAA title, it won't be far from this. Suzuki is doing everthing he can to make shenmue 3 as good as the previous.

Strictly speaking, they are indie because of being an independent developer - but there are various classifications of indie so it doesn't really matter.

But yeah, there's a lot of experience going into the game. Even the "new" developers to the team aren't totally green, as YSnet's recruitment page explicitly says they will not hire anybody without experience of shipping at least one game. Then you've got the AM2 alumni, the creatives from outside the game industry, and Yu himself - who has been making games for nearly 35 years.

All things considered, it's a good spot to be in. Seasoned veteran of the industry (arguably one of the greatest of all time) leading a team of trusted and diverse colleagues from back in the day, and developing talent amongst the young blood in the studio. Shenmue IV aside, I hope III does well so this team can stick together and work on projects beyond the continuation of the series.

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Peter » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:34 pm

Inside its like a big classroom. Suzuki-san is at the head table and each member of staff has daily meetings at scheduled times where they bring their work up to him. Okayasu-san sits just to the right of the main table at his own desk, then all the other staff, old and new are together. Learning and working. Sometimes Suzuki-san​will do a walkabout and see what you are working on at that present point in time.

Peter has received 4 thanks from: FlagshipFighter, Hazuki00, Spaghetti, Switch
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:20 pm

Peter wrote:Sometimes Suzuki-san​will do a walkabout and see what you are working on at that present point in time.

Or as the staff probably call it, "Brown Trousers Time."

Let's Get Sweaty has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Previous

Return to Shenmue III