Tekken dev requests guest fighter ideas - let's give 'em one

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Tekken dev requests guest fighter ideas - let's give 'em one

Postby Spaghetti » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:16 am

Tekken's Harada has recently asked on Twitter for guest character suggestions - likely as baseline research into Tekken 7 DLC.

https://twitter.com/Harada_TEKKEN/status/853769649447608320

We all know about Harada's reverence for Shenmue and Yu Suzuki thanks to that amazing interview Switch graciously translated for us all on his blog, so a swell in suggestions for Ryo being a guest character in Tekken is likely to be noticed and taken seriously.

In regards to the fighting style differences between Tekken and the Virtua Fighter-lite system Shenmue uses, the Tekken team appear to have been very faithful with mixing in the gameplay style of Street Fighter when they included Akuma into baseline Tekken 7, and hopefully they'll do the same again with Ryo and have him control quite like he should if he is included.

WHY THIS MATTERS IF YOU DON'T LIKE TEKKEN/WANT RYO IN TEKKEN

It raises the profile of the series and its characters, which is nothing but beneficial to Shenmue III or future instalments. I'm not much of a Tekken person either, but I see this as an opportunity.

Shenmue fans are great at mobilising and making our voices heard, so why not throw our weight behind this to grab Harada's attention?

Spaghetti has received 4 thanks from: Kiske, Let's Get Sweaty, Mr357, Sonoshee
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Re: Tekken dev requests guest fighter ideas - let's give 'em

Postby Telekill » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:12 am

I may actually buy Tekken if Ryo was a character in the game. It would make more sense for him to be a guest character in a new Virtua Fighter though.
Telekill
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: Telekill
Currently playing: Detroit Become Human

Postby Spaghetti » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:44 pm

Telekill wrote: I may actually buy Tekken if Ryo was a character in the game. It would make more sense for him to be a guest character in a new Virtua Fighter though.

Absolutely.

But who knows when, if ever, SEGA will make a move on another Virtua Fighter.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Telekill » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:13 am

Spaghetti wrote:
Telekill wrote: I may actually buy Tekken if Ryo was a character in the game. It would make more sense for him to be a guest character in a new Virtua Fighter though.

Absolutely.

But who knows when, if ever, SEGA will make a move on another Virtua Fighter.

I think it would be pretty awesome to have a new Virtua Fighter with Ryo in it. When was the last one? VF5 on PS3? I heard there are rumors that Sega may be creating a VF6 for current gen but as with Shenmue 3, rumors are rumors until proven otherwise.
Telekill
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: Telekill
Currently playing: Detroit Become Human

Postby Toua77 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:00 pm

I'd like him, but isn't what he does already accounted for? Karate(Jin, Lee,) Judo (Asuka) and some characters have Jiu-Jitsu elements in their game(Nina, Dragunov, Paul).

Iwao added a lot of stuff from other martial arts into his own so he could fight uniquely enough from a Jin, or Asuka I assume.
Toua77
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:22 pm

phpBB [video]

At 8:20 he responds to the interviewer's suggestions of Ryo and Kazuma for guest characters.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby SlySpy » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:22 pm

Toua77 wrote: I'd like him, but isn't what he does already accounted for? Karate(Jin, Lee,) Judo (Asuka) and some characters have Jiu-Jitsu elements in their game(Nina, Dragunov, Paul).

Iwao added a lot of stuff from other martial arts into his own so he could fight uniquely enough from a Jin, or Asuka I assume.

Ryo has a good mixture of kung fu as well, even from the very beginning of Shenmue 1. Remember, Hazuki style combines japanese and chinese martial arts. Ryo in particular has a lot of baji-quan moves, like the Elbow Assault for instance.
SlySpy
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby The_Intruder » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:55 pm

I really think Ryo would fit better than Kazuma in a fighting game. Kazuma fighting movements doesn't look Martial Arts.
The_Intruder
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Jann-Lee1999
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Zelda:Breath of the wild

Postby Hyo Razuki » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:47 am

I never really liked Tekken and I wouldn't be very happy with Ryo being in it, tbh. I understand the good the Texposure could do but I can't take part in a petition, Twitter marathon or any other activity that tries to get one of my favorite fictional heroes of all time into a game series I dislike. I just can't.

Virtua Fighter or even Street Fighter would have been fine, but count me out on something like Tekken. Sorry.

Good luck to you guys. I'm not trying to hinder your efforts to get Ryo more exposure but with Tekken... I can't. Sorry, but I just can't do this.
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Spaghetti » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:53 am

Let's Get Sweaty wrote:
phpBB [video]

At 8:20 he responds to the interviewer's suggestions of Ryo and Kazuma for guest characters.

Interesting reaction. He talks more about Yakuza but the response to hearing Ryo as a suggestion is definitely a lot more lively.

I would not be surprised if either character makes it in, though I guess it's down to how a licencing deal is struck with SEGA and what Namco will allow Harada to do. It'll be cool to revisit this thread six/ten months from now and see how it panned out.

If you want Ryo in Tekken, gotta keep pushing for it on social media. It's the only way they'll know.

In an ideal world they both get in, in lieu of a new SEGA crossover fighter/VF6.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:21 pm

Hyo Razuki wrote: I never really liked Tekken and I wouldn't be very happy with Ryo being in it, tbh. I understand the good the Texposure could do but I can't take part in a petition, Twitter marathon or any other activity that tries to get one of my favorite fictional heroes of all time into a game series I dislike. I just can't.

Virtua Fighter or even Street Fighter would have been fine, but count me out on something like Tekken. Sorry.

Good luck to you guys. I'm not trying to hinder your efforts to get Ryo more exposure but with Tekken... I can't. Sorry, but I just can't do this.

Are you alright?

Let's Get Sweaty has received a thanks from: SickOctopus
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby Spaghetti » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:25 pm

Let's Get Sweaty wrote:Are you alright?

Tekken killed Hyo Razuki's father and ran away to China.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Centrale » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:38 pm

I always thought of Tekken as a rip-off of Virtua Fighter. Actually just about everything Namco did from the late 80s throughout the 90s seemed to be "let's see what Sega does and then put out our imitation of it." But enough time has passed that I guess Tekken has developed into its own thing. Nowadays if it can help introduce Shenmue to more people that can only be a good thing.

Centrale has received a thanks from: AM2
Centrale
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Hyo Razuki » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:44 am

Exactly. Tekken has always been a cheap VF ripoff to me and I don't want Ryo in there.

Hyo Razuki has received a thanks from: AM2
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby AM2 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:29 pm

Tekken doesn't even come close to Virtua Fighter, I don't want Ryo or any VF character guest starring. The DOA inclusion of VF fighters was a disaster imo. Let each universe exist on its own, why all of this "21st century" cross-multiverse characters mix because developers are lazy and just because it's hard to innovate anymore.
AM2
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Life

Next

Return to Shenmue III