Shenmue 3 & E3 2017 - UPDATE - Confirmed will NOT be at E3

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Shenmue 3 & E3 2017

Postby FlagshipFighter » Tue May 23, 2017 8:42 am

Never want to be the bringer of bad/hype killin' news but what are everyone's thoughts on the progress of Bloodstained?

The website states:
- game is roughly 20-30% complete
- Igarashi notes that he needs to increase the pace of development
- the reason Switch is being favoured over Wii U is that the game is being developed with Unreal Engine and ported from PC
- the planned release in 2018 also lead to the decision of moving away from Wii U
- there are plans to exhibit Bloodstained at other events and could end up at E3 2017

I know Iga had a few development stumbles which is unfortunate but I still find that percentage surprising considering the quality of the demo that they had (I believe in mid-2016?). Perhaps it's difficult to communicate a percentage in regards to development but it did make me think about Shenmue 3's development.

I didn't back Bloodstained but I hope Iga can deliver a game that he wants in the time that is afforded to him. Perhaps they were just pausing on actual development in order to have a more concise/clear design document in order to realise the game as best as they can. I'm sure making a new IP/spiritual successor can have it's own challenges versus a sequel.

I can see why people have made this a point of concern and compared this to many other successful kickstarters following said path of development but I don't think it's much of a cause for concern. He seemed transparent about finding his footing and having to make the hard decisions like cancelling WiiU (which will most likely benefit the end game) those are the things crucial for kickstarter development. Bloodstained, Psychonauts 2 and Shenmue 3 all have external investors/relations who check on the game in occasion to ensure development is smooth sailing and milestones are met, projects without them are often those high level of stakes are the ones to be concerned about. As someone mentioned here prior, surely the image with Gio and Yu-san counts for something, and instils some level of confidence with what they have?

Just my thoughts on it, that percentage seems to have shocked quite a few out there (considering it's initial launch date was March 2017) but many seem supportive of it which can only be a good thing. It's good that they set their expectations with the fans right now (as many companies seem to regarding their E3 presence).

What are your thoughts? I just don't see any reason to get riled up about anything atm but I'm open/intrigued to hear the reasons why anyone is? I'm sure there's plentiful answers awaiting in Iga's inbox xD

UPDATE: Apologies if the first sentence scared anyone here lol I just thought this topic kinda pertains to Shenmue and E3, mods delete if necessary.
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: FlagshipFighter
XBL: FlagshipFighter
Steam: FlagshipFighter
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby Peter » Tue May 23, 2017 9:19 am

Take from it what you will, but Shenmue 3 was at a rough 25% completion mark in September 2016.

On that note, catch you in the streams. Enjoy E3 8)

Peter has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Hazuki00 » Tue May 23, 2017 9:23 am

You can't compare these two games, they are made by different estudios, as you have said IgA had Many problems and lost lot of time with wiiu and swich versions.
Suzuki has the advantage that the history and many other things are actually done since Dreamcast era, has some finantial support from shibuya and many masters from the Am2 team are on board which helps a lot.

And the last but not the least, even today they are saying that everything it's going fine to meet the release date.

Hazuki00 has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Waiting for Shenmue 3

Postby Hazuki00 » Tue May 23, 2017 9:26 am

Peter wrote: Take from it what you will, but Shenmue 3 was at a rough 25% completion mark in September 2016.

On that note, catch you in the streams. Enjoy E3 8)

If the progress is secuential, based on what you said, they need at least two more years to finish the game??

Hazuki00 has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Spaghetti » Tue May 23, 2017 10:17 am

I wouldn't get too deep into percentage numbers on how complete a game is.

Case in point: Final Fantasy 15. The director said the game was approaching 80% completion in March 2015, while in February they said they were 60% complete. The game didn't launch until December 2016.

It's not a quantifiable measure.

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby FlagshipFighter » Tue May 23, 2017 11:09 am

Thanks everyone, great replies! I agree with all of you, it is challenging to put projects in percentages and then apply that to a timescale as people were doing with bloodstained today (e.g. 2 years took 20%-30 so that must mean we get it in 7-8 years...:/). @Spags brings a great example, and no doubt has (almost) every developer described just how huge the gap/hurdle between 90-100% is. But thanks guys I needed to hear this from you, I feel like there's recently been a lot of concerns around the web about the project despite us being so close to potential news and further updates.

Games like Yooka Laylee have sparked concern about the platform but Thimbleweed park came out not long before itwith high praise and reviews and I think many have overlooked it as another example of a kickstarter success. For those who aren't getting sleep (in the other communities/social media) instead of doing a post-mortem on Yooka Laylee or Bloodstaind's development and correlating it to Shenmue 3's development, let's just wait it out. Some have said you can't compare the two, which I can sorta see, but they how achieved a similar amount of funding and like many nostalgic projects they both had a lot to live up to. I genuinely think TP approached it right "making a long lost adventure game how you remember it and not how it actually was".

But I am a total apologetic fanboy of the series so I'd be ecstatic if Yu-san said Shenmue 3 was going to be composed of 16bit sprites, it's actively challenging for me to be objective about it. I've encouraged the idea of Shenmue 3 being episodic (as if it were 'discs') with staggered release dates and that also brought a lot of interesting opinions here (other games I've backed handled it well and have benefited from the feedback of the first episode, I'd be open to it). Of course Shenmue 3 will have a beta/demo of sorts so that may not even matter.

I just think crowd-funding and project management are in themselves fascinating topics. No doubt are those games learning from the one's that have preceded it. Honestly couldn't be happier with this game being worked on (I was just catching up with a friend about it over phantom dust multiplayer) sharing our personal stories/reactions on E3 2015, like the driest of all wells was suddenly bursting with water, still feels like a miracle :-).

P.S. @Peter You too! Yeah it's probably for the best to go media blackout until the 13th. The E3 media hype train is definitely in operation though, with all this news about major releases and pre-e3 teases.
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: FlagshipFighter
XBL: FlagshipFighter
Steam: FlagshipFighter
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby shredingskin » Tue May 23, 2017 12:51 pm

YS already had a scaleable project depending on money raised, so I suppose they were focused from the beginning on what could be achiveable and what was not (even though I think that they probably found UE to be very comprehensive engine, quite good for designers with many answers right out of the box).

Different teams, different projects, different times.

Of course, it would really make me stop worrying to see the state of the game.

shredingskin has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby celsowm » Tue May 23, 2017 2:21 pm

In your opinion, How much a E3 trailer +/or a Shenmue HD announcement would boost the Slacker Backer?
celsowm
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: celsowmbr
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Spaghetti » Tue May 23, 2017 3:16 pm

celsowm wrote: In your opinion, How much a E3 trailer +/or a Shenmue HD announcement would boost the Slacker Backer?

Depends. A Shenmue III trailer alone would have more impact than just a Shenmue HD announcement, I think.

Together? Could be huge. $7 million could happen before the end of the year if the Slacker Backer site stays open that long.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Telekill » Wed May 24, 2017 10:03 am

Spaghetti wrote:
celsowm wrote: In your opinion, How much a E3 trailer +/or a Shenmue HD announcement would boost the Slacker Backer?

Depends. A Shenmue III trailer alone would have more impact than just a Shenmue HD announcement, I think.

Together? Could be huge. $7 million could happen before the end of the year if the Slacker Backer site stays open that long.

Agreed. I feel that $7 million could be reached with a huge Shenmue announcement (both HD remasters as well as 3's trailer), but as stated earlier in this thread, it's possible that we could see the slacker backer campaign completed and closed down as we are nearing the final months of development. Whatever they are making would basically be checked off the list by now and then starting on polish.

The hype is real:

19 days

until Sony's E3 2017 press conference
:rotflmao:
Telekill
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: Telekill
Currently playing: Detroit Become Human

Postby Spaghetti » Wed May 24, 2017 11:21 am

Telekill wrote:Agreed. I feel that $7 million could be reached with a huge Shenmue announcement (both HD remasters as well as 3's trailer), but as stated earlier in this thread, it's possible that we could see the slacker backer campaign completed and closed down as we are nearing the final months of development. Whatever they are making would basically be checked off the list by now and then starting on polish.

Yeah. I've always imagined the Slacker Backer ending coincides with a development milestone, seeing how Joel said it could either end during late summer, or at the end of the year. Likely the point where they lock the code down and move into Beta, which would make sense considering the SB site is there to help reach more stretch goals.

I dunno how important the stretch goals are right now anyway. Yu seems to have managed to stretch the budget to include the final two combat goals we didn't hit, either through efficiency or just because they fit his overall vision of the revised combat.

More money can't hurt, though. Just means they can maybe fund a delay if needed, hire extra staff during crunch time, etc.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Hazuki00 » Wed May 24, 2017 12:38 pm

It's necesary for increasing the money (and for our mental health) they present a re-reveal trailer at the E3, and if Sega announces HD Shenmue's remake I'm sure they will reach 7 million before christmas.

I suppose the way Suzuki is making the game he should not have any problem adding new stretches even if they are on beta fase.

Only 1 week to new update!
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Spaghetti » Wed May 24, 2017 1:07 pm

SEGA rep kinda dodges the question on Shenmue HD in this interview: https://www.pcinvasion.com/sega-pc-port ... john-clark

PCI: Whenever Shenmue has come up as a potential future HD PC release, licensing issues have been cited. Is that accurate? What are the particular licensing issues there?

JC: Whenever you’re considering re-releasing games from the catalogue you assess everything from technology licences, music licences, voice over artist agreements, in game assets and so on. The more there are, there more time it takes to check.

Nothing new, but I thought I'd post it here all the same. Unfortunately this might inflame the same old arguments about licencing.

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: Kiske
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Valascaziel » Wed May 24, 2017 1:22 pm

Pretty par. Can't really say much else there without giving confirmation of it's planning or existence, I guess.
Valascaziel
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Himuro » Wed May 24, 2017 1:50 pm

Spaghetti wrote: SEGA rep kinda dodges the question on Shenmue HD in this interview: https://www.pcinvasion.com/sega-pc-port ... john-clark

PCI: Whenever Shenmue has come up as a potential future HD PC release, licensing issues have been cited. Is that accurate? What are the particular licensing issues there?

JC: Whenever you’re considering re-releasing games from the catalogue you assess everything from technology licences, music licences, voice over artist agreements, in game assets and so on. The more there are, there more time it takes to check.

Nothing new, but I thought I'd post it here all the same. Unfortunately this might inflame the same old arguments about licencing.

He didn't dodge the question though? He was asked about licensing and answered about licensing. The question wasn't asking if Shenmue HD was coming out, it was about licensing. Or maybe I'm wrong and I'm missing something?
Himuro
Banned
Banned

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III