Why do Shenmue III rumors only come from obscure sources?

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

What do you think? (Total votes: 30)

I'm glad Shenmue has enough spark left to inspire rumors
33%
I'm sick of these bullshit lies!
47%
I don't care and Kaven is an idiot for making this poll
20%

Why do Shenmue III rumors only come from obscure sources?

Postby Kaven » Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:32 pm

The fact that nobody like IGN or Game Informer picks up any of these rumors and they all originate from obscure places like Kikizo, the Swedish mag called GameReactor, and that one Spanish website suggests that they are all liars or idiots who take dubious sources at face value just to lure in Shenmue fans to visit their websites.

Is this good for the Shenmue community, does it keep forums active and show Sega that many people still have great interest in seeing the saga completed?

Or is this bad? Are we being taken advantage of by unsavory characters who continually shit all over our dream and make us look stupid?
Kaven
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Board Games

Postby FRASIER » Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:44 pm

brought up a good point, is Kikizo an obscure site? and NO its not healthy to give such hope to too few.
FRASIER
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby WantaShenmue3 » Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:45 pm

Well said Just passing through everyone's pants, well said.
WantaShenmue3

Postby geno » Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:35 pm

Really, I think the so-called "major" sources are too scared of hurting their own credibility. Not that their credibility isn't hurt through other means, but they're smart enough to know that any rumor involving Shenmue is a flat out lie.
geno
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby WantaShenmue3 » Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:50 pm

Wow we joined on the same day Geno, that's like sooo amazing.
Isnt it weird that there havn't been many rumors in the past year,
even rumors are becoming extinct for this game.
The rumors don't even seem like rumors anymore and dont even seem believable at all.
Atleast previous ones looked posssible but now all we get is Shenmue coming to the Wii, what a load of crap.
WantaShenmue3

Postby MiTT3NZ » Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:38 pm

None are rumours, they are speculation. The Kikizo article seemed to be legit, but progress was halted due to the sales of Shenmue I & II not meeting SEGA's expectations. Not to mention the introduction of Satomi when Sammy came in and shat all over the company. That just made matters worse, as their goal is now soley profit.

I reckon that as much as we feel SEGA turned their backs on us, they must feel we did the same, due to our lack of support regarding the Dreamcast, Shenmue, and even the Saturn. I mean, c'mon, how many of us bought brand new Dreamcast games all the time? I did once, and that was when I first got the console, as it was bundled with Sonic Adventure, Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation, and UEFA Striker (oh, and I later bought Sonic Adventure 2 straight from the shelves).

The only reason the Dreamcast 'survived' amongst gamers was because there were so many second hand models at cheap prices, and even more pre-owned games. How much profit would SEGA gain from those sales? Exactly. Fuck all.

I know this has completely gone off topic, but this is the very reason, in my opinion, why not only the Dreamcast failed, but Shenmue did (although, the whole Xbox affair had a lot to do with it too). Hell, my copy of Shenmue's third hand.

I could also mention the Shenmue Online fiasco, but we all know about that. It was just a poorly-received online RPG that tried using the Shenmue franchise to sell itself. But only for China/Korea. See anything right about that? Me neither...

Anyway, I hope this helps people to better understand SEGA's reasoning behind shelving Shenmue. I think it's common sense nowadays to see SEGA as a business that doesn't want to make the same mistakes again, because business-wise, Shenmue was a huge mistake. We can sit here in front of our screens bitching about how great the games were all day (which is what a lot of us do regardless), but the fact remains that Shenmue was a failure.

I do truly believe that Shenmue will be re-booted within the next decade, as the fanbase grows a little more every year, and never loses one person. When the time is right, SEGA will announce it, and it will be released. Sadly though, we're gonna have to wait around two or three generations.

However, in the meantime FUCK SATOMI!!!!!!!
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Kaven » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:39 am

I blame Sega for all those failures.
The Saturn failed because it was designed as the ultimate 2D console and were forced to run 3D aps because of Sony. It was also difficult to program for.
The Dreamcast failed for many reasons IMO, the PS2 was tough to beat. And maybe if half the games wern't either canceled (Half Life, Prop Arena) or Japan only (Rent a Hero) they would have sold better in America!

Shenmue would have done better if Sega was better prepared:
First, the title and box art arn't well suited to the US market.

Second, I think if they could have had the game ready for launch it would have sold way better. I remember being in a game store and watching people marvel at the graphics of some DC football game. If they had Shenmue up on the monitor instead, people would have been floored! This was way before GTA 3 mind you.

Third, the game could have been faster paced and Ryo could have been less uptight and wooden. Repeating everything said and asking for sailors a million times isn't appealing to everyone.

Fourth, $70 million?!?! GTA IV only took $45 million (that includes the $2 million spend for song licsensing!) Where did all that money go? I know a lot of Sega execs (including Yu Suzuki) drive Ferraris (which is why they made F355 Challenge) but damn...

Sega's hemoraging cash, they arn't going to invest more money in a project that filed to deliever. I think our best bet is petitioning for a CGI movie to wrap the project up, or a short novel.
Kaven

Currently playing: Board Games

Postby WantaShenmue3 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:16 pm

I don't want anything but a game, even if i have to wait long but i want Shenmue 3 now.
I also want to win atleast a billion dollars.
WantaShenmue3

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:08 pm

i am a dreamcast addict... i got almost every single game for it except one - seaman :lol:
killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Clint » Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:33 pm

It's not our fault. In terms of Dreamcast game sales, Shenmue did very well. You have to blame SEGA for spending 70 million on a game, where every Dreamcast owner in the world would need to buy the game twice to break even. Think about it, we're fucking lucky Shenmue ever saw the light of day.

Sometimes it's nice to think about how the story could end. When I play Shenmue, I think about where the series was heading, and what would happen to Ryo, Lan Di etc.

Look on the bright side, atleast we've been blessed with 2 of the greatest games ever created. Anything from here on is a bonus.
Clint
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Currently playing: Fallout 3

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:13 pm

My question is: why?

Why is SEGA spending money on more useless "sonics" if they got a fanbase that is dieing to get shenmue III?!
Its nonsense... even casual gamers will get exited with the game if they advertise it in the right way
killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Re: Why do Shenmue III rumors only come from obscure sources

Postby FRASIER » Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:19 pm

kaven wrote:The fact that nobody like IGN or Game Informer picks up any of these rumors and they all originate from obscure places like Kikizo, the Swedish mag called GameReactor, and that one Spanish website suggests that they are all liars or idiots who take dubious sources at face value just to lure in Shenmue fans to visit their websites.

Is this good for the Shenmue community, does it keep forums active and show Sega that many people still have great interest in seeing the saga completed?

Or is this bad? Are we being taken advantage of by unsavory characters who continually shit all over our dream and make us look stupid?

what you are saying about the big names not picking up on Shenny 3 really does me skull in!
FRASIER
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby TheEdge » Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:19 pm

your all dam pesimists! <--- Did i spell this right? cause either way im not going to check. In your face!
TheEdge
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby HappyKillmore » Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:11 pm

kaven wrote: Where did all that money go?

-Investing in the technology to make the game, i.e the engine it runs on. Producing such an advanced engine for the time would not have been cheap

-Constant remodeling and design changes, Suzuki wanted his game to be how he visioned it, down to every last detail, if the slightest thing seemed out of place, it was scrapped. This sort of change is evident from the beta videos

-Having a large orchestra to make the game's music

-The vast amount of staff involved, both designers and voice actors

-Perhaps the wasted Shenmue Saturn project, the game looks as though it was in further stages of development on the saturn, and the entire game was wasted
HappyKillmore
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PSN: big_g_mcfc
XBL: DerK0mmissar
Steam: kingkong001
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: With Myself

Postby MadeManG74 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:17 pm

Fourth, $70 million?!?! GTA IV only took $45 million (that includes the $2 million spend for song licsensing!) Where did all that money go? I know a lot of Sega execs (including Yu Suzuki) drive Ferraris (which is why they made F355 Challenge) but damn...

I don't know where you heard GTAIV cost only $45 Million, but last I heard it was possibly close to $100 Million.

And as for where all the money went, the Technology for Shenmue was mind-blowing at the time. It was probably hte best looking and most detailed game ever at the time. Not to mention the research that went into it, there was a LOT of work put into Shenmue, IMO I think that for its time, Shenmue is far more impressive than GTAIV.

I've mentioned it before, but Shenmue was so expensive that it was pretty much never expected to turn a profit, but it gave SEGA new technologies and was intended to sell Dreamcasts and (I'm assuming) enhance Sega's image because of how impressive it was. They were hoping to get their moneys worth from the game through those sorts of things rather than just sales figures.
MadeManG74

Next

Return to Shenmue III