Shenmue 3 & E3 2017 - UPDATE - Confirmed will NOT be at E3

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Shenmue 3 & E3 2017 - UPDATE - Confirmed will NOT be at

Postby Technophilz » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:26 pm

Digital Foundry discussed original Xbox titles backward compatibility on Xbox One family. Shenmue IIx and Shenmue HD are specifically mentioned ...

Phil Spencer also wants to bring OG Xbox emulation and Xbox Game Pass to PC .

phpBB [video]

Technophilz has received a thanks from: Esppiral
Technophilz
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Shenmue IIx

Postby Kintor » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:04 am

The technical problems with successfully porting Shenmue are always going to be an issue but I think that the greater challenge by far is going to be the politics. So even if it's now possible to port the OG Xbox version of Shenmue II to the Xbox One I'm not sure it will happen in this current climate.

I can't imagine Sony being happy with that possibility, if it means being releasde before the PS4 has access to a HD version of Shenmue. It's a situation where Sony would probably try to ensure parity of release or even a PS4 exclusive release of Shenmue HD, even if that means preventing Microsoft from porting the Xbox version of Shenmue II.

I suppose then it’s simply a question of what Sega’s position on this dilemma might be. Sega could be perfectly happy to prevent Microsoft porting Shenmue II, if Sega is already working on a full HD update of Shenmue as a multiplatform release. Just as Sega might be willing to making Shenmue HD a PS4 exclusive, temporary or otherwise, is Sony offers them a better deal than Microsoft.

Not exactly the fairest outcome for Xbox owners but that’s the way the game is played. Lately Microsoft has been doing a terrible job of preventing Sony from making all these exclusive deals, especially exclusive deals with Japanese publishers.
Kintor
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Kiske » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:33 am

If the potential retro compatibility of Shenmue II on Xbox One can help push SEGA towards announcing and releasing Shenmue HD quicker, that's fine by me. :)

Kiske has received a thanks from: Let's Get Sweaty
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby ShenmueLegacy » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:42 am

Let's just pray to the lord of common sense that Sega didn't announce Shenmue HD this E3 due to committing additional time to a remaster and not due to trying to leech a new licensing deal off Coca Cola...

At this stage, I would argue Sony has more of a stake in Shenmue than Sega.

I can't imagine Sony NOT holding Sega's feet to the fire now.

Much more is at stake for all involved.
ShenmueLegacy
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Kintor » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:31 am

Kiske wrote: If the potential retro compatibility of Shenmue II on Xbox One can help push SEGA towards announcing and releasing Shenmue HD quicker, that's fine by me. :)

I suppose this is a distinct possibility as well. Microsoft's announcement about backward compatibility might just force Sega's hand in regards to Shenmue HD.

Bonus points for Sega, if this actually means modern ports of Jet Set Radio Future and Panzer Dragoon Orta. Although, I'd rather see all those OG Xbox ports from Sega getting a multiplatform release.
Kintor
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Telekill » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:15 am

Spaghetti wrote:
Telekill wrote:I've lost hope that Sega has half a brain. Their losing their window of opportunity to make some cash and I don't think they know whay they're doing anymore.

Just gotta keep waiting it out for the moment. It's just a question of when, not if.

Shenmue III isn't due to release for a year now at the very least. SEGA's window is still plenty wide to do the right thing and give us what we want.

I suppose the wait and see tactic doesn't hurt. Shenmue fans are used to waiting after all these years.
Telekill
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: Telekill
Currently playing: Detroit Become Human

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:46 pm

Now we just need to convince Spencer to make a dreamcast emulator run on Xbox.
killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby celsowm » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:15 pm

ShenmueLegacy wrote: Let's just pray to the lord of common sense that Sega didn't announce Shenmue HD this E3 due to committing additional time to a remaster and not due to trying to leech a new licensing deal off Coca Cola...

The last of us 2, Dreams, Deep Down, Golem, FF7 and of course Shenmue 3

It's clear they are "holding" some bombs to PSX 17

I really hope Playstation Experience will be our moment of glory including Shenmue HD
celsowm

PSN: celsowmbr
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby ShenmueForeseen » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:56 pm

celsowm wrote:
ShenmueLegacy wrote: Let's just pray to the lord of common sense that Sega didn't announce Shenmue HD this E3 due to committing additional time to a remaster and not due to trying to leech a new licensing deal off Coca Cola...

The last of us 2, Dreams, Deep Down, Golem, FF7 and of course Shenmue 3

It's clear they are "holding" some bombs to PSX 17

I really hope Playstation Experience will be our moment of glory including Shenmue HD

Don't forget Resident Evil 2 Remake. :D

ShenmueForeseen has received a thanks from: celsowm
ShenmueForeseen
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby JohnBlack » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:21 pm

Sony didnt show anything, it was just compilation of some stuff.
JohnBlack

Postby drunkensailor » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:04 am

Peter wrote:
drunkensailor wrote: I've been saying for 10 years and i'll say it again; there won't be a shenmue hd rerelease. not ever. can't believe so many people here get their hopes up based on nothing. why would sega re-release these games? answer that question. there is no reason. hell even square had to bend backwards to do hd rereleases of final fantasy 10 (and now 12) which actually was a commercial monster success unlike shenmue. and shenmue is more expensive to rerelease as well.

Im really not a told you so person, and i have a dislike for people who are. But for this one time, i will happily say a big fuck you when the HD remake is indeed announced, after all the years of having to read your negativity both concerning Shenmue 3, as well as HD remakes.

Of course, when the HD remakes are announced, you will probably bitch and moan about them too since, ya know, thats what you do. Why change now, eh?

I was never negative about shenmue 3. not anymore than anyone else here. but a remake yes. and you can try and make it personal but I won't go that low.
drunkensailor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: gjb1985

Postby drunkensailor » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:06 am

sand4fish wrote:
drunkensailor wrote: I've been saying for 10 years and i'll say it again; there won't be a shenmue hd rerelease. not ever. can't believe so many people here get their hopes up based on nothing. why would sega re-release these games? answer that question. there is no reason. hell even square had to bend backwards to do hd rereleases of final fantasy 10 (and now 12) which actually was a commercial monster success unlike shenmue. and shenmue is more expensive to rerelease as well.

Gotta love this comment. I'll save it for posteriority as by the time Shenmue HD is finally announced, it will be even much more satisfying looking back to these posts.

good on you and it would make me look like a fool, but what would that make me? laugh at you guys for the past years every time there is no announcement of shenmue remake? I won't laugh at that as I'm a shenmue fan.
drunkensailor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: gjb1985

Postby Telekill » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:43 am

drunkensailor wrote:I was never negative about shenmue 3. not anymore than anyone else here. but a remake yes.

drunkensailor wrote: good on you and it would make me look like a fool, but what would that make me? laugh at you guys for the past years every time there is no announcement of shenmue remake?

I don't believe any of us are/were so hopeful that there will/would ever be a Remake of Shenmue 1 and 2. A remaster HD port on the other hand... that's what we are expecting.
Telekill
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: Telekill
Currently playing: Detroit Become Human

Postby darksniper » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:10 pm

if Bluepoint Games is working on SotC, then we can scratch them out as the possible developers of Shenmue I and II HD. What are the possibilities that it could be an internal project within Sega? I'd assume they would still have the assets and source code in their archives somewhere.
darksniper
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby punkmanced » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:15 pm

A full-on remake à la Shadow of the Colossus ’18 is never going to happen… unless perhaps some Kid Nocon-type fan project were to become so advanced that Sega would end up taking it over/ slapping their logo on it. Chances of this happening are most likely nil at this point.

On the other hand, a simple HD “remaster” (ie port), akin to Shadow of the Colossus 2011, I would say is a sure bet. Cheap, with enough diehard fans to make the release profitable over time.

Granted, I can understand Sega’s reticence: the franchise hasn’t exactly made them rich over the years (understatement); then again, in an age of ever-growing digital-only releases, there is literally no good reason for them not to make Shenmue at least available again.
punkmanced
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III