Shenmue HD

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Shenmue HD

Postby Esppiral » Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:12 pm

The problem with Shenmue HD is licensing, I guess they could remove things like... (Timex?) if the licensing issues are related to the engine.. well we won't see it anytime soon.
Esppiral
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: Esppiral
XBL: Esppiral
Steam: Esppiral
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: The Witcher 2

Postby Himuro » Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:25 pm

Kaven wrote: The way things have been going at Sega these days, it's like they're allergic to money and want to go bankrupt. They have to realize that re-releasing Shenmue I and II (along with Skies of Arcadia) would be profitable.

That isn't true. The other HD Dreamcast games like Space Channel 5 and Jet Set Radio bombed.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Kaven » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:02 pm

Himuro wrote:
Kaven wrote: The way things have been going at Sega these days, it's like they're allergic to money and want to go bankrupt. They have to realize that re-releasing Shenmue I and II (along with Skies of Arcadia) would be profitable.

That isn't true. The other HD Dreamcast games like Space Channel 5 and Jet Set Radio bombed.

Sega admitted once that Shenmue and Skies of Arcadia in HD were their two biggest fan requests. Maybe I'm being too simplistic, but I think they'd sell well on Steam, Xbox Live and PSN. I think Kickstarter proved the demand is there for Shenmue

Kaven has received a thanks from: Anthony817
Kaven
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Currently playing: Board Games

Postby Master Kyodai » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:07 pm

Kickstarter is always there for us. Give Yu the time to finish Shenmue 3. The HD remakes and the revenue from the game and kickstarter campaign will be used to measure the value of this IP... If Shenmue 3 does well then it is pretty much unevitable to start a Shenmue HD project on kickstarter. With previous releases like "jet set Radio" or "crazy taxi" they just invested money and it bombed.With kickstarter you can be like "Okay 1 million USD to fund the project or bust" and not that investment risk involved like with unfunded projects. Personally i cant see the HD remakes being developed until Shenmue 3 hits the road - but after that it is just logical to milk the IP cow.
Master Kyodai
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby JaySw34 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:39 pm

I'd absolutely lose my shit if they remade Shenmue I and II in a similar way to FFVII. Can you imagine?
JaySw34
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: JaySw34
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby sanoichiro » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:47 pm

raunchy wrote: the problem with HD shenmue is that the franchise doesnt have indie cred nor a strong visual presentation anymore. i doubt people buying S1/S2 HD will be like "wow these games are so amazing and quirky, i'm going to rush out to get S3" its really just fan service releasing them at this point.

I agree. It's been so long, and gaming has evolved so much, that an HD release of Shenmue 1&2 might actually hurt the release of Shenmue 3. However, without them, NEW fans will have little to no understanding of the scope of the story and why the things that seem important ARE important. In that sense, I think I am going to take it like this.

Shenmue 3 is being made for US. For you, for me, for this community. It's not for "CODFAN_99". Nor should it be. They haven't been here waiting for it. If the game is made and THEY like it, maybe we'll get an HD remake, but for now, I'm just happy WE'RE getting it.
sanoichiro
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

PSN: sano-ichiro
Currently playing: Street Fighter

Postby Anthony817 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:05 pm

I think Sega will be more persuaded to ride the coattails of the sucess of 3 and release HD ports of 1 and 2. Hell maybe even those could release on Xbone and might do something but as it stands, Shenmue 1 and 2 and 3 are on vastly different systems that never has had the complete story, the only way to play the majority of the games would still be on Dreamcast. PC and Sony never really had a stake in this series but as solely a current gen gamer that plays exclusively on PC this is good news that in a way I can already play all the games in HD with NullDC but I still prefer playing 1 and 2 on my Dreamcast. I feel kind of bad for Xbox gamers as they did have part 2 on the system, and the controller is obviously a successor to the Dreamcast design so in that aspect is would feel closer to the original experience with the Dreamcast controller.

I am pretty sure the guys here will mod the first 2 games locations into Shenmue 3 since it is the Unreal 4 engine and just about the easiest to mod in all of PC gaming. Plus playing the game on ultra in 4k at 60fps is going to be really awesome in the futire when the majority of us can afford one.

As of now I have taken my PC over to my friends house and he let me play on his 2k monitor and my R9 270X Hawk really did well with GTA V, so I guess it has a few more years left in it even if it isn't bleeding edge.
Anthony817
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Steam: Anthony817
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue II English 99min

Previous

Return to Shenmue III