Why PayPal?

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Why PayPal?

Postby elfshadowreaper » Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:13 pm

Reprise wrote:
elfshadowreaper wrote: I don't have a problem with Kickstarter. I've never been burned by them or publishers as I've never contributed before Shenmue 3. But I wouldn't put money into ANYTHING that I would lose sleep over if it never panned out. I really don't see PayPal bringing in very much money but I could be wrong. It would be contingent upon people getting the same rewards as Kickstarter backers get.

Kickstarter get 5% and it's fair enough, they're a business.

Exactly. They provide a service and should be compensated. And Yu's a grown-up. He could have chose straight PayPal if 5% didn't seem fair.
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Jeff » Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:02 pm

What Yu Suzuki should be doing is merchandising. Make and sell Shenmue merchandise. It's obvious but only to me evidently.
Jeff
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

PSN: jgk1020
XBL: jgkny
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Halo Master Chief Col

Postby Tomato Convenience Store » Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:04 pm

Jeff wrote: What Yu Suzuki should be doing is merchandising. Make and sell Shenmue merchandise. It's obvious but only to me evidently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNZove4OTtI
Tomato Convenience Store
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: PuzzleQuest II

Postby Riku Rose » Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:04 pm

Paypal isn't going to make the game suddenly hit $10 million. Bloodstained only made about $200k through Paypal. Also out of the 50k that have pledged I'd be surprised if even 5% of people would donate every month.

There also comes a point where YSnet have to cut off funding and decide on the budget. You can't develop a game for 2 years not knowing how much money you will have next month and hope that you get more support.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby manuel tripero » Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:09 pm

Most kickstarters have it, as far as I know it gets less of the cut (something around 3%), so I don't see why not.
manuel tripero
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Anonymous81 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:14 pm

The biggest impact from PayPal would be a cumulative one over time, after the KS campaign ends in my opinion. Especially if they put up a slick official Shenmue 3 site with a donation counter, some incentives (even just forum badges reflecting donation level,) and an official forum. If they do that, and heavily promote it, we will - I believe - EASILY meet the rest of their funding needs over the next year. I hope they have a plan to do so.
Anonymous81
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Witcher 3

Previous

Return to Shenmue III