Which graphical style do you want shenmue3 to follow?

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Which graphical style do you want shenmue3 to follow? (Total votes: 42)

Shenmue I
69%
Shenmue II
31%

Postby b_ren » Thu Dec 04, 2003 3:04 pm

A mix of both.
b_ren
of Heavens
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby ShOzO MiZuKi » Fri Dec 05, 2003 9:03 am

i would also like to see it cell shaded

jk
ShOzO MiZuKi
Homeless and hungry
Machine Gun Fist

PSN: Old_Battle_Axe
XBL: TheLastR3negade
Currently playing: Yakuza 3

Postby ys » Fri Dec 05, 2003 9:54 am

I preferred the first one.
Something I didn't like about the second one was the sky. Especially the color of it sometimes. Now, I haven't been to China yet but I don't think it would look that way. The good thing was that the clouds were moving though.

And the lensflare of the second one also made you feel like you were watching a movie. The first one maybe gave more of the impression that YOU were actually there.

So generally I also thought the first game had a little bit more of a realistic feel. But it's not that the second game's graphics were disturbing or so. I wouldn't mind at all if the next game looked like that.
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Silas » Fri Dec 05, 2003 10:16 am

Magic weather was one of those things that had to be sacrificed in order to make room for the larger playing areas and larger NPC population, and certainly we were left with most unconvincing sky colours, as well as losing the wonderful slow fading of the light.
Silas
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby LionheartUK » Fri Dec 05, 2003 5:21 pm

I voted for shenmue 1 because like reporter says the dark gritty realistic look which in my opinion looks better.
LionheartUK
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Bluecast » Sat Dec 06, 2003 6:00 pm

Shenmue 1.....I loved the Detail and the realism that this is a real place.

Shenmue 2 seemed less realistic and because it was so bright I knew it was a game...which is not good....plus it hurt my eyes it was so bright.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Beck » Sat Dec 06, 2003 6:20 pm

I'd like a mix of both. Shenmue 1 had better lighting and weather effects, and the landscaped were overall better.
But in Shenmue 2 i liked how you could have more characters on screen and i LOVED the Guilin section of the game, so..mix of both for me please!
Beck
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Genesis5o5o » Sat Dec 06, 2003 7:21 pm

Shenmue 1 has a more realalistic look to it.
Genesis5o5o
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby FoxHound » Sat Dec 06, 2003 11:08 pm

I loved Shenmue II's use of color as opposed to Shenmue's bland looking grays. However, the fact of the matter is that the color scheme used in each game will depend heavily upon the setting of the story. The reason why Shenmue II was much more colorful was because it took place in Hong Kong and later Guilin. You can't expect the same color scheme for all three environments.

One thing I do hope is that, no matter what console the game is released on, Digital Rex goes for Shenmue II's water style. The water in New Yokosuka Harbor in the original looked like Jell-O.

Oh and please, Digital Rex, lay off the blur effects that Shenmue IIx had (don't know about the Dreamcast version). THAT, above all, was the one that made the game look less realistic than the original.
FoxHound
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby shenmuaholic » Sun Dec 07, 2003 7:14 am

yeah it is all down to the time of year that the game is set and in which place. u cant expect guilin and hong kong to have snow and grey type darkness in the middle of spring. and different places are made of different materials, like yokosuka was maybe made of grey concrete slabs, while hong kong was made of red bricks. te UK in the winter would look differnt to america in the spring. i hope the graphics are nothing like shenmue IIx, cos that was just dastardly. with the glowing faces and the blurs.....urgh..horrible!

as for the magic weather, thats not really a graphic style factor, thats just a bonus feature added to make it more realistic. i was dissapointed that this wasn't in shenmue II, cos it wasn't really realistic that it was just the exact same weather all the time, but in shenmue I it was pretty realistic, like in the morning it would be raining, then that afternoon it would be snowing and loads of snow would've already set on the floor, then it would be a clear night.

i think the graphics of shenmue I and shenmue II are pretty much the exact same (shenmue IIx sucked!), its jsut cos shenmue I was in winter it was a bit more atmospheric, thats why we liked it more. i think we could expect shenmue III to be a lot more like shenmue II cos its gona be set closer to the end of spring/beginnign of summer.
shenmuaholic
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Birty » Sun Dec 07, 2003 8:54 am

But I know what you mean, Shenmue I made me feel more as if I was there and I was living in Yokosuka myself, I don't know why. Maybe it is the eccentric use of colours in 2x, I'm not sure.
Birty
Old School
"After Burner...Great!"

XBL: TWH Birty2k

Postby Xandman » Sat Dec 27, 2003 6:13 am

final fantasy the movie type graphics - but that aint gonna happen unless its released in like 2010
Xandman
Master of the Three Blades

Postby DeXTeR » Sat Dec 27, 2003 2:12 pm

areas in shenmue 1 are more detailed than 2. there are some details that you can notşce hard. I think they wanted to make shenmue 2 quick so they didnt have time for details. But Guilin was great. I'll go with 1.5 :) (mix)
DeXTeR

Postby KiD » Sat Dec 27, 2003 9:02 pm

I think RYo looked "cooler" in the first one... his face seemed skinnier and sharper, giving him the young, in ur face look... rather than the round cubby-cheek-ish ryo of the second one... either way is good, but i'd prefer the ryo from SHENMUE 1, but the scenery of Shenmue 2
KiD
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby waser2 » Sun Dec 28, 2003 1:13 am

i liked the dirty city feeling of the first
waser2
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III