What do you think we will see in this month's update

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: What do you think we will see in this month's update

Postby shredingskin » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:04 pm

A photo of Yu passed out on a pile of whiskey bottles holding an IOU note.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Spaghetti » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:10 pm

iyapol wrote:YS has promised a substantial update in 'early 2017'.

Early in the new year, I think we’ll be able to show you things such as new videos.

Not a promise, and not a "substantial update" either.

Sorry to pull the quote up, but it's probably for the best we remind ourselves the exact words Yu was quoted as saying.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby mjq jazz bar » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:17 pm

I understand they're up to their necks in work, but would it really be that hard to just take a photo of them in the studio to prove they're alive? Something minor would please some people, obviously annoy the perpetually displeased, and just get this issue out of the way.
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby SMDzero » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:00 pm

I guess we're just not going to get monthly updates anymore.

Since the game's development has just recently shifted gears into full scale development I guess it makes sense.

Wouldn't hurt to at least update us that there will be no updates.
SMDzero
Banned
Banned

Postby Spaghetti » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:08 pm

mjq jazz bar wrote: I understand they're up to their necks in work, but would it really be that hard to just take a photo of them in the studio to prove they're alive? Something minor would please some people, obviously annoy the perpetually displeased, and just get this issue out of the way.

To be honest, do we even need a picture like that? We know they're there, and it's hardly like that kind of update will shut the usual suspects up in the KS comments.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Yokosuka » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:16 pm

Today is the judgement day. If really we'll get nothing in the coming 12 hours, this is the complete WTF, with YSnet giving absolutely no sh*t about their word and communication. :rotflmao:

Ah at least, they will annoy no one with trivial random content and that the way of handling I always wished to see. Just do that hell of a game!

Yokosuka has received a thanks from: Himuro
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Hazuki00 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:32 pm

No news is good news I think. Although I think 5 minutes to write some "news" wouldn't harm the work and it would help some fans to calm down a bit I'm sure we will see something big at E3 or in next event. They are working hard to meet the release date proposed.

I'm soooo looking fordward to see some images, videos and so but I understand it takes time and I trust them.
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Waiting for Shenmue 3

Postby Hazuki00 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:40 pm

Kiske wrote: Comment by "Shenmue Backer" on the Kickstarter page.

@Tom thanks for that. Im glad at least backers were told that, and were not becoming needy on monthly updates when at the end of it all, Yu-san and the team are working around the clock on Shenmue 3.

That said, despite that promise from Yu-san, its worth remembering that sometimes a promise may need to be broken for the greater good. I know its hard not having updates, but we just need to be a little more patient. Its now crunch time, and when I say Yu-san is trying to get this game out on time (December '17) then trust me he is. The team isn't huge either but the results they have achieved have been staggering and despite not showing them publically, the game looks and feels amazing despite being just under a year from shipping. So much so, that I feel sorry for anyone from the team looking at this comments section and seeing the disrespect that's displayed, all because information is being kept in house and not made public E3 should be the place when we see what Shenmue 3 really looks like. If people can wait to then, that's when faith will be rewarded.

=D>

Is this Saint from the Dojo? :D

At first I thought he could be someone from kickstarter dinner but he could be some fan talking what he would like it to happen?
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Waiting for Shenmue 3

Postby iyapol » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:49 pm

Spaghetti wrote:
iyapol wrote:YS has promised a substantial update in 'early 2017'.

Early in the new year, I think we’ll be able to show you things such as new videos.

Not a promise, and not a "substantial update" either.

Sorry to pull the quote up, but it's probably for the best we remind ourselves the exact words Yu was quoted as saying.

Would you not deem new videos substantial? I certainly would.
iyapol
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Spaghetti » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:24 pm

iyapol wrote:Would you not deem new videos substantial? I certainly would.

Depends on the content, but it doesn't really matter. Yu didn't stress much importance of what could be in the new video content. He wasn't even particularly committal to it being shown at all. We'll just have to see if anything comes of it or not.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Snakiest » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:02 pm

The only thing I don't like is that when a promise is broken, you have to come out and acknowledge it and maybe explain why you did what you did.

I've lived and worked in Japan for almost a decade now, and unfortunately this kind of behavour is really a norm. If there is something negative to report (as in the absence of promised news), execs and managers just choose not to say anything. Silence goes on for weeks, people start wondering, then they break it to you - there was this or that problem, we spent 3 months thinking how to tell you.

It is ok in Japan, I guess, but it annoys the hell out of me.Is it so hard to have a timely update saying - look, we are working hard, we need a break, see you at a major gaming event in the future, thanks guys! That would take literally zero effort from Awesome Japan, but at least the fans and backers would be informed and, hopefully, appeased.

Oh well... I can't let poor management take away from the excitement I have for the game.

Snakiest has received 3 thanks from: Himuro, iyapol, shredingskin
Snakiest
Master of the Three Blades

Postby shredingskin » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:20 pm

Snakiest wrote: The only thing I don't like is that when a promise is broken, you have to come out and acknowledge it and maybe explain why you did what you did.

Yeah, but it can be counted as "bad PR" and I totally get it.

And to be honest an update saying "things are doing good, don't freak out" might freak out more than a no update (specially the press).

I do think the game is doing well, and we'll get a great game.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Snakiest » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:02 am

These are the dangers there. Sure, big companies can hunt down bad PR and shut such articles down if they present untrue or misinterpreted facts to defame the project. Sure, the Yu team probably have no resources for that (the fairly unprofessional Awesome Japan probably being the only "English" communication means they have). I get that.

Now, not saying things may seem like a good idea, but in my experience it has always back-fired. You lose trust from the employees (in our case - us, "investors"), you lose reputation for unprofessional behavior, and, surprise, you get a lot of bad publicity. I mean, it is probably not going to happen to Shenmue being a low-profile niche project and all, but the game is not totally off the radar. Stay silent like this too long, and somebody will notice. And then it will be a lot harder to stop the "Yu goes into hiding with 6 millions dollars" shitstorm and later wash off the blemish. I have seen this before with especially Kickstarter projects (Mighty 9, anybody? khe-khem).

I am just trying to make a point that being transparent is the professional way that eventually pays off.

I don't know. I don't really care so much. I could have gone 2 years without a single update - especially considering how unsubstantial these updates were. What I don't understand is this kind of behavior. Reversing promises is a common thing in this age - just roll it in linguistic glitter. Doesn't take much. Doesn't cause trouble much, either.
Snakiest

Postby Jibby » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:17 am

Correct me if I'm wrong, but monthly updates were never a promise but more a goal or target. Nobody's being deceived here.
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Sappharad » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:23 am

Sonoshee wrote: I still stand by my opinion that, this year, no monthly updates are a good thing.

YSNet are extremely busy and freeing up any resources right now to throw out a small monthly update would only hurt development.

But you're seemingly ignoring the fact that YSNet doesn't post the updates, Awesome Japan does.

It seems feasible to me that AJ could come up with some kind of filler updates on their own that don't require new materials from YSNet. Mighty No 9's social team did it several times and everyone knows how bad that project actually turned out. They had a few updates that just showed off fan art that was submitted to them. Awesome Japan did do some filter updates during the campaign, like when they interviewed Ryan Payton so he could talk about his support for Shenmue.

I don't mind if they have to take another few months to show us more content, but complete silence generally causes people to think something might be wrong. Maybe we need to help out Awesome Japan by providing them with content to provide the rest of the fans.
Sappharad
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III