Shenmue III @Gamescom '17 Discussion - That's All, Folks

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Shenmue III @Gamescom '17 Discussion - Yu's at a party

Postby ShenmueLegacy » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:18 pm

I presume there will be 3 teasers in total before the official trailers are premiered next year.

Gamescom - Teaser 1 (Insiders have confirmed 90% of this teaser is at least 12 months old)

TGS - Teaser 2 (Possibility)

PSX - Teaser 3 (Likely)

E3 - Trailer I Premiere (Guaranteed -- unless there's another delay)

All falls in line with a strategic marketing build. Just my thoughts.
Last edited by ShenmueLegacy on Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShenmueLegacy
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Hazuki00 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:34 pm

Maybe the teaser is old but I suppose graphics have been improved since 10k backers saw it.
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Waiting for Shenmue 3

Postby Mystere » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:40 pm

ShenmueLegacy wrote: I presume there will be 3 teasers in total before the official trailers are premiered next year.

Gamescom - Teaser 1 (Insiders have confirmed 90% of this teaser is at least 12 months old)

Have they? Peter said in another topic that Choubu didn't look like this a year ago, compared to what we're seeing now. In his words it was "far more cartoony". Obviously I can't speak for him so here's the quote:

Peter wrote:No because I am basing it on what I seen almost a year ago to what we are seeing now. Choubu didn't look like that astheticly, it looked far more cartoony. So logically, I have to apply the same way of thinking in regards to character models. I'd rather base my assumptions on what's gone before than out of pure speculation.

Maybe like Hazuki00 said, the teaser's direction is old but I'd be very surprised if 90% of its assets are.
Mystere
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby ShenmueLegacy » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:22 pm

Here is what Peter stated on NeoGAF:

"In the name of transparency, I can say that 90% of what was in that trailer we were shown a year ago at the Kickstarter dinner. There is a strategy to what's being shown. If you think this was put together last week that's your business, I am just telling you that the majority of that footage is at least a year old, some even 18 months old now."

What he means by "90%" may need further clarification.
ShenmueLegacy
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby pennypincher » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:27 pm

I will try to be there for the first signing sessions tomorrow evening.
Will wear my orange Dreamcast tee and bring a fast lens and flash to snap a few pics of the meet and greet.
pennypincher
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Postby Enigma » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:30 pm

ShenmueLegacy wrote: Here is what Peter stated on NeoGAF:

"In the name of transparency, I can say that 90% of what was in that trailer we were shown a year ago at the Kickstarter dinner. There is a strategy to what's being shown. If you think this was put together last week that's your business, I am just telling you that the majority of that footage is at least a year old, some even 18 months old now."

Oh my! The game in its current form must look even prettier by now then if majority of the footage is a year old!
Enigma
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: SWOTOR

Postby staplepuffs27 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:37 pm

Peter's on NeoGaf? Wow, I feel bad for him. Rough crowd.
staplepuffs27
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Steam: staplepuffs27
Currently playing: Sonic CD

Postby Yokosuka » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:41 pm

According Yu Suzuki, the main story will take 20 hours to finish. Add 20 another hours to complete the secondary quests.

Yokosuka has received 3 thanks from: Amir, SheepheadCG, TwiceFriedRice
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby iyapol » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:46 pm

I just don't understand the logic in showing the world material that is 12 to 18 months old. Saying that, there have been a few illogical moves by the team. That's not to say I don't have full faith in the project.

I really do feel/hope there may be more to show us before the end of Gamescom. The team have been upfront about their participation at Gamescom yet the only material we have seen was released via Sony prior to the event. This could quite easily have been done remotely from Japan. I doubt Yu came all the way to Germany to host two meet and greets.

Also, didn't PRS translate one of the updates as plural videos? Worst case scenario, folks, the hype train roles on until the end of Gamescom!
iyapol
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Hazuki00 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:51 pm

Why then they show outdated material? Knowing how press and people over react... And what about what they said? 'We will show our latest clips' ... :?:
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Waiting for Shenmue 3

Postby Yokosuka » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:00 pm

iyapol wrote: I just don't understand the logic in showing the world material that is 12 to 18 months old.

Avoid the wastage. For many developers, making a trailer takes a lot of time and we know YSnet missed the opportunity at PSX.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby iyapol » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:05 pm

Yokosuka wrote:
iyapol wrote: I just don't understand the logic in showing the world material that is 12 to 18 months old.

Avoid the wastage. For many developers, making a trailer takes a lot of time and we know YSnet missed the opportunity at PSX.

If the trailer wasn't suitable for PSX, then why would it be suitable now? Again - doesn't really make a lot of sense.
iyapol
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby staplepuffs27 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:11 pm

Yokosuka wrote: According Yu Suzuki, the main story will take 20 hours to finish. Add 20 another hours to complete the secondary quests.
Awesome news! I'll be sure to take my time as well.
staplepuffs27
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Steam: staplepuffs27
Currently playing: Sonic CD

Postby ShenmueLegacy » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:19 pm

Yokosuka wrote: According Yu Suzuki, the main story will take 20 hours to finish. Add 20 another hours to complete the secondary quests.

Interesting numbers. So based on these initial figures, Shenmue III's main story spans at least as long as Shenmue I and has more extras to explore than Shenmue I and II:

https://howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=8400
https://howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=8401

Very good news.

ShenmueLegacy has received a thanks from: TwiceFriedRice
ShenmueLegacy
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Peter » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:33 pm

I'm gettin far too old for this shit. I haven't slept in 2 days and the amount of stuff that the human brain has to take in, I just can't manage at the moment. How people do this for a living I do not know.

I tried to keep up with the community as a whole these past 48 hours, but with being here and trying to update the Dojos social media it's been a hard task and I'd say live missed 90% of it all. I know about the negative backlash though. I think even Suzuki-san knows too. He keeps saying "environments good, character temporary". I said it on NeoGaf in a post I am far too tired to dig up. But seriously, criticize all you want. I am not blind to see the issues with the characters. But where is the patience. Where is the 4, Wude. You are not helping the already unwinnable position Suzuki-san is in. He is damned if he does and he is damned if he doesn't. The game is not ready yet and with any other normal game in development, so you shouldn't even see this stuff. But with every Kickstarter update, it's the same comments if they are not showing enough, we want more. We want a trailer. Really, you sure you want a trailer now at this stage of development? Ok here you go, and bam, it is still as bad a reaction as ever. It's an unwinnable battle the man has to face, and I feel sorry for him.

I literally don't know what to do anymore in trying to steer you guys towards the things I am seeing and the things I hear. It's a waste of time. I do honestly give up at this stage. Not singling out any one comment, its just gotten to the stage where I have no words anymore. The negativity has gone from critical to venomous and toxic. Hey, that's people's right, you are entitled to your opinion. My opinion of that though is just one of sadness rather than anger and confrontation now.

Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III