Would YOU donate to a Shenmue Project? (& how much)

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Would YOU donate to a Shenmue Project? (& how much)

Postby Mel0ne » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:49 pm

I'd donate 50 € ($65) for starts. As the project grows, i would spent moren. The most important thing here, is to get Yu or Sega to accept such a donation!
Mel0ne
Asia Travel Representative

Postby Peter » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:47 am

The Double Fine campaign just surpassed 2 million dollars
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Master Kyodai » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:16 am

Just asking if anyone is still seriously involved in this. Still no kickstarter project about Shenmue so far as i see.

But yeah good planning > quick start.

I thought a bit about the goal and details, so i calculated a bit on my own. Just some weirdo math on a lte evening with much rum...

SO my low budget calculation, feel free to flame me for this or post some better dieas:

- Outsource all work on VWorker (popular programming/gfx / online work outsorcing website)

- Goal: Make Shenmue HD. Actually only make the textures HD, make a converter to convert dreamcast models into a current format (3D Studio Max) and reuse them. Reuse all sounds. Remake the rest from scratch in Unity 3D, so the engine is compatible with PC, XBOX 360, PS3, Wii, cell phones and more.

Spendings:

1. Get the necessary sources.

- 10,000 USD - make a suitable converter for all 3D models (Characters/Scenes/Objects). Hire some guy to do it for 10K or less based on the tools and sources we already have. The converter needs to output in 3ds or any other format usable in unity 3D.

- 10,000 USD - Source control. We can extract all textures and sounds from the game but we need someone to find a clever way to catalog all this. We need some sorting and naming scheme for the textures to make it possible to replace them with hires versions. Also we need to be able to relate every footstep/fighting/talking to a character in the game later on, we need a usable catalog scheme here so our programmers/game architects will later know which sound to put where.

- 10,000 Let someone play Shenmue for weeks and make a real standard game script out of it, noting all scenes and cutscenes, dialogs and scripting relevant events. This will be what we later base our final game scripts on so it should be as accurate as possible.

2. Prepare the platform

- 40,000 USD - Make a Shenmue alike interface, scripting platform and logic (Zooming, Running, Talking, Cutscenes, Buying, Fighting, Bicyling, drinking, Weather, riding a motorbike, driving a forklift, Inventory, loading/saving, wristwatch, etc) in Unity 3D

- 40,000 USD - Convert all characters, objects and scenes into unity 3D format, replace textures with royalty free versions. Rig and animate the characters. FOr most characters some generic animations will do.

- 50,000 USD - script the whole game logic, copying the original SHenmue game

So I'd say that it would be possible to make Shenmue HD for 160 Grand.

Maybe even less - if you find some starving indian guy on vworker (Theres plenty of them) doing some task for a few grand you might even save big on some parts. OK just quick and dirty trolling, but I'd really like to read a serious estimation.
Master Kyodai
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Who Really Cares? » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:57 am

Maybe but then if i had my way now i would simply release it as a budget title. Convert it to HD and a bit of work on the controls and animation and release it like that.

Offer both english and japanese voice work[still belive the reports of an Xbox version of III announcment being pulled at the very last minute which would mean the work is done] and release it on disc and digital for those that wanted it.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby ThyDarkAngel » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:29 pm

Ryudo wrote:
ThyDarkAngel wrote:
Luvly KM wrote:as previously stated I would happily and sensibly donate $200-250. I wouldn't even need a reward scheme a la Double Fine's Kickstarter campaign.

Heck, if it started to shape up (moving from pipe dream to "wow, this is actually happening") i would probably splurge another £300, no joke.

You hear of people buying consoles just for one game. Why not just buy that ONE GAME! :shock:

I bought an Xbox for the sole reason of playing Shenmue II

I already had Shenmue II DC, and did the same.
ThyDarkAngel
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: LOADING...

Postby Snoopbob2006 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:40 pm

I would probably pay upto £500 for it only if I knew I was definatly getting it.
Snoopbob2006
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Snoopbob2005
XBL: Snoopbob2005
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Peter » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:01 pm

Snoopbob2006 wrote:I would probably pay upto £500 for it only if I knew I was definatly getting it.

Heeeey Snoop. Good to see ya again!
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Mitsuzuki » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:05 pm

I like the idea of an up-converted Shenmue I port available through XBL and PSN. It's a great way to raise awareness to the franchise.

I like the idea of the money going either to Yu Suzuki and a team of his choosing, or an independent studio.

I would lay down a hundred bones to start, more if the idea actually makes traction.
Mitsuzuki
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Currently playing: Deep in the Destiny hole

Postby Bluecast » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:06 pm

Well I don't know where you are getting so many bones from. But bones don't count as money. Manny tried to pay me in bones once.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Mitsuzuki » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:13 pm

Hm, perhaps you're right. From now on I submit that all future currency proposals are offered in the format of capsule toys.

I'll offer 100 capsule toys. Can't guarantee there won't be any duplicates.
Mitsuzuki
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Currently playing: Deep in the Destiny hole

Postby Master Kyodai » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:45 pm

During my times in Papua New Guinea people tried to pay me in Shrink heads - it depends a bit on the head but generally these are cuter than bones.
Master Kyodai
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Snoopbob2006 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:56 pm

Peter wrote:
Snoopbob2006 wrote:I would probably pay upto £500 for it only if I knew I was definatly getting it.

Heeeey Snoop. Good to see ya again!

You to brother! Hope all is well :D
Snoopbob2006
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Snoopbob2005
XBL: Snoopbob2005

Postby ys » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:01 pm

I'm in a bit of a hurry and couldn't read the whole thread but did someone mention Project C.A.R.S already? I read about this some days ago, a studio working on a driving simulator They used to work on Need For Speed Shift games under EA. But for this project they use investors and donations from the fan community. This is quite interesting since they allow gamers then to influence development.

Depending on the donation you get advantages like being able to watch their meetings, discount when the game is released, being able to ask for features which they sometimes add within a week etc. And even downloading weekly builds of the game in development to give some feedback. The more you pay the bigger the influence and perks.
This got me thinking of Shenmue of course. Especially when they said that it gives freedom as compared to being under a publisher plus the fact that the community interaction also makes them sure of what fans want.

Edit : I found their site mentioning the perks.
http://www.wmdportal.com/projects/cars/

If Yu Suzuki would do this for a new Shenmue game I would be following those meetings I guess:P
It's also a very good way of creating a strong fan base since people are even more involved then since they are "part" of the project in a way.
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby szymon247 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:46 pm

Seriously if I knew that this is going towards the development and makes a change I'd pay most of my spare money.

If I was told "pay me X and you will play Shenmue 3 in its true glory" I suppose I'd pay up to $10K.
szymon247
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Mactalisker » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:29 pm

i'd be more than happy to donate for the creation of Shenmue 3. however i would have just 1 request and that would be for a Dreamcast version. i know it probably sounds retarded but i loved the fact that you could transfer your save data from Shenmue 1 to Shenmue 2 and i think it would be ace to do it for Shenmue 3. not to mention the Deamcast version of Shenmue 2 was faaaar superior to the xbox version. but thats just my opinion.
Mactalisker

Nintendo FC: 8334243122818961
Currently playing: Shenmue 1&2 (DC)

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III