Sega returning to hardware??

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Postby Amin » Sat May 01, 2004 7:05 am

^if sega were not to make a new console, i would love for that too happen. That to me would be as great as shenmue 3 announcement :D ,well almost!
It'd solve my probalem of which next gen console to get.
Amin
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby DKMatt » Sat May 01, 2004 8:43 am

firstly, i'm sure these points coulda been raised but i havent had the chance to read through all 5 pages yet.

But anyhoo, how come i raised this point the day before and it got locked cause it had been 'raised before'

If it was true though, and it would be an interesting possiblity and could spell a good future for the shenmue series, as they always make great use of their own hardware, much like nintendo, though they never seem as good when ported to supposedly superior machines
DKMatt
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby reporter » Sat May 01, 2004 6:37 pm

Oh btw, isn't Zach Morris that guy from Saved By The Bell?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
reporter
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby white lotus » Sat May 01, 2004 6:57 pm

its all bullshit
white lotus
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: I am a former gamer

Postby Paul » Sat May 01, 2004 7:37 pm

'Interesting' is all I'll say at this point. As for the point raised about there not being room for sega in the console market, nintendo have all over the place in recent months, and rumors that they are going to follow sega into the software market havn't exactly been hard to come by (but what people get up to in their private time is their buisness. so moving very quickly forwards) and so this could give sega the 'space' they need.
Paul
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Cpt. Ultimate K Prime » Sat May 01, 2004 7:49 pm

Sega returning to hardware... hmm... that frightens me, to be quite honest. I just don't see how, after folding the Dreamcast, they now have enough time and money to try again, and most likely fail. They'll need to do a whole lot better this time around.
Cpt. Ultimate K Prime
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby Peter » Sat May 01, 2004 7:57 pm

Now if they did, would we all like to see a new VM or just a hard drice like the Xbox?
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Daemos » Sat May 01, 2004 8:46 pm

A new VM, but cheaper and with more space. Not to mention a damn hard drive on the console. *looks at Xbox* um.... yeah.
Daemos
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Juanfran » Sun May 02, 2004 12:40 am

World Exclusive - Sega to return to hardware!

On the 12 th of May, Day 1 of E3, Sega will showcase to the world it's re-entry into the Console hardware arena.

We first reported on a rumour regarding Sega returning to hardware about a month ago, but now the rumour is a reality, Financially revitalised, finally debt free, Sega now firmly belives it has what it takes to rule the roost.

But why you may ask are they doing this? wouldn't it be suicide? well no, not really. You see when Sega was making the dreamcast hardware it was selling an average of between 25-30 million units of software per year. Since going third party that number has always remained in the 6-10 million range. Besides the reason for going third party in the first place was to stop the losses and have a chance to get rid of it's debt (well over a billion dollars). Third party was never a permanent business plan. Did Isao Okawa give away he's life savings to save a software developer? No! re-entering hardware in the next round was always the plan. Did Sammy splash out half a billion dollars just for arcade floor space? No!

What we're trying to get at is that the signs have always been there, but now rejoice!

IT IS TIME FOR THE BIGGEST COMEBACK STORY OF ALL TIME.

Wednesday, May 12, 2004 10:00-10:30 a.m.
Concourse Hall #151

-- Zach Morris

http://www.freewebs.com/realgamesplayer ... scoops.htm

Let's face the facts: If reporter had posted this, even if the article had come from Gamespot and not freewebs, pretty much everyone who posted in this topic would have called for him to be banned. inferno10 makes a great number of very good points above.

And finally

A Sega rep has informed us that the next machine will be of platinum color.

If you can't tell, this is what bullshit looks like.
Juanfran
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby BostonsKing » Sun May 02, 2004 1:43 am

Now if they do put out another console which would you get the Sega one or Xbox 2.

if Sega comes out with a console its gonna have to do alot to win me over cause im definately getting Xbox 2
BostonsKing
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Postby Amin » Sun May 02, 2004 4:01 am

I'm gonna copy and paste my reply from the other topic as i cant be asked to retype-
I really dont see how some ppl can say sega's console will bomb instantly. The have an installed fan base like nintendo that will buy the console on impulse as soon as its released and as long as u make good games, u'll always draw in fans. I garantee they'll definately take a chunk out of xbox 2 sales if it were to happen since loads of xbox owners were sega fans. And somebody else said this, so dont cuss me if i'm wrong, but i read that in the same time span, sega dreamcast did just aswell as xbox, the only reason why dreamcast couldnt stay afloat is cos they havent got microsofts infinate funds! And i'm sure sega were selling more games than microsoft were aswell, probably sony branded games aswell! And if they release a new console all money goes to sega, they dont have to pay any royalties to nintendo, sony or microsoft.

Now a question, i aint debating this but how the fuck did sega get into debt with the dreamcast!!! It sold like the xbox, and selling more games, shouldn't they have got money flooding in.

Thats why i think sega should have another shot at consoles, and besides i love sega games, and i dont wanna buy 3 consoles to play different sega games, and as i said before with a new sega console will most proabably come shenmue 3 so that would be a better announcement imo.

Right now will some of u bitches stop acting like sheep. If everyone actually boughtt what was good, the dreamcast would never of failed but dont buy xbox 2 cos sega will fail ffs. If they do release a console do the right thing ;). If quite a few ppl bought it, and it would probably sell well at launch like the dreamcast, word of mouth is a very good way to help sales. I've bought a hell of a lot of my consoles from recommendations from friends and stuff, when ure mates play shenmue 3 on new sega console, they'll all go rushing out to buy it! :D (i hope :( )
Amin
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Juanfran » Sun May 02, 2004 4:09 am

The Dreamcast did indeed sell like the XBoX sells, but don't forget that the XBoX is losing Microsoft money ;)
Juanfran
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby changed my mind » Sun May 02, 2004 7:45 am

Xbox is also being made at a loss
changed my mind
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby mikec_ct » Sun May 02, 2004 2:27 pm

Exactly, and therein lies the difference. Microsoft can afford to be patient and methodical in the console market, something most companies simply don't have the resources to do. They can almost indefinitely lose money so long as they see the light (profit) at the end of the tunnel
mikec_ct
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby drporkchop » Sun May 02, 2004 3:20 pm

mikec_ct wrote:Exactly, and therein lies the difference. Microsoft can afford to be patient and methodical in the console market, something most companies simply don't have the resources to do. They can almost indefinitely lose money so long as they see the light (profit) at the end of the tunnel

True. However, I don't think Microsoft really even cares about making a profit just so long as they establish themselves in yet another market...
drporkchop
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III