Sega's Scott Steinberg mentions Shenmue III

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Sega's Scott Steinberg mentions Shenmue III

Postby Spoonfan » Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:04 am

BIZ: Since we only have time for one more, let me throw in a question for all the hardcore gamers... Is Shenmue III ever going into production?

SS: I really can't answer that, although I will say that we look very closely at our IP and a few days ago we [announced] the comeback of Golden Axe... and I know a Sega guy who worked here in the early '90s on Genesis and touched a lot of the core brands in a prior life, so having come back here in 2004 when we started to relaunch the company, part of our mission is to look at our library of IP and be real selective and smart about which ones we bring out, which ones are "next-genable" and creatively that we bring something new to the table with them. I never want to comment on any specific one, but that is a big part of our strategy... taking advantage of what we have, and of all companies in this industry, there aren't very many that have as many great brands as Sega does across all of its hardware iterations as well as arcade IP.

I know it's the usual 'no comment' response, but it's more news than most of the crap we get in this forum.

The full interview is here: http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/featu ... 120&page=2
Last edited by Spoonfan on Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spoonfan
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Stocka » Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:33 am

Mm the point about Golden Axe does give hope.
Stocka
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby JoeMDesign » Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:52 am

Hey... They guy didn't say "no", so we're in with a chance!

It's interesting that he says Sega are focusing on being selective with the IPs they bring back. The joy for them must be picking and choosing which game series to bring back.

Nostalgia is very high right now. Golden Axe being re-made with a LOTR touch to it would be a great thing. All we can hope is that Sega take another look at Shenmue and find it in their heart to finish the story.

"Is Shenmue III ever going into production?"

"I really can't answer that..."

Interesting post. Thanks, Spoonfan.
JoeMDesign
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Hazuki Legend » Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:23 am

JoeMDesign wrote:"Is Shenmue III ever going into production?"

If it definately wasn't coming out i'm sure he'd say no, so we can keep hope with that one answer.
Hazuki Legend
Est. 1989
Machine Gun Fist

XBL: Dan Whale 89

Postby BenFilbert » Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:40 am

Keep the faith!
BenFilbert
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Postby JoeMDesign » Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:32 am

Hazuki Legend wrote:
JoeMDesign wrote:"Is Shenmue III ever going into production?"

If it definately wasn't coming out i'm sure he'd say no, so we can keep hope with that one answer.

Sorry if I raised hopes when I quoted that but if you look at the question he's asked if it will EVER go into production. He can't say in any uncertain terms that it never will or wont come out. :roll:
JoeMDesign
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Who Really Cares? » Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:42 am

nice but also sad, as SEGA still chose not to talk about the series :cry:
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby Shenmue_Saga » Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:18 am

I don't get it, why they can't answer that question, why every time someone ask about them of shenmue they, act like "Forget it let's talk about another thing", they should at least say wait some more time it is in production for years, wait a little more to get it finish, for an announcement, or say "It's not coming out, it's not in production, and never will be".
I'm starting to think that for them shenmue is a nightmare, they act like they hate it.
Shenmue_Saga
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: GM-Shenmue
XBL: GM Shenmue
Steam: gmshenmue
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza 0

Postby JoeMDesign » Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:25 am

I think they just get asked it a lot. :? You'd get fed up too after a while!
JoeMDesign
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

hmm...

Postby Hadoken Hazuki » Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:47 pm

This actually sounds good to me. He's talking about ressurecting their old franchises. It could be that he's saying "I can't talk about Shenmue, but look what's happening with Golden Axe...do the math" maybe implying that the same thing'll happen with Shenmue. Or maybe they're just dodging the subject again, I don't know.
Hadoken Hazuki
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Staplerfahrer Klaus » Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:51 pm

^ I wouldn't say it's quite that significant. But it's definitely a better answer than "I really can't answer that.", then nothing else. It seems more of a "perhaps one day". And it's a pretty long, detailed answer for such a short question as well.
Staplerfahrer Klaus
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Berserk Adam » Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:44 pm

This was also posted on www.computerandvideogames.com :

Sega's Steinberg talks PS3, Shenmue III
Friday 30-Jun-2006 4:10 PM Everyone has an opinion on PS3 and the hefty price tag Sony's slapped on its next-gen console - here's Scott Steinberg's

Sega of America's vice president of marketing Scott Steinberg has joined the massed ranks of company execs discussing Sony's PS3 and the console's pricing, voicing opinions on the next-gen machine in an interview published yesterday (although the interview was actually conducted during E3) on website GameDaily BIZ.

So what's Steinberg got to say? Well, Sega are "staunch supporters of the PS3". Hurrah! Oh, hold on, there's a little more...

What does he think about the price label Sony's slapped on its next-gen console? Steinberg responded that he thinks it's within expectations. "I think it's an expensive device," he admitted, "but it's a very powerful device". Part of that power stems from Blu-ray, the next-gen disc format Sony is squeezing into its console and it's tech that Steinberg reckons Sony needs to convince the world has "a high utility and delivers on a promise, a value promise".

Touching on the price of PS3, Steinberg referenced Virtua Fighter 5's port to PS3 and said how there's going to be little, if any, degradation to the graphics: "...effectively you've got thousands of dollars worth of arcade tech in a machine that's 500 bucks, 600 bucks. So there's a lot of value in that machine."

Leaping away from PS3, Steinberg was also asked whether Shenmue III will ever emerge into daylight. "I really can't answer that", was the response, but did add that part of Sega's mission now is to look at its intellectual properties and "be real selective and smart" about what to 'next-gen' and ensure creatively that the company brings something new to the table with those IPs. Well, that's not a 'no' at least...
Berserk Adam
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby Samanosuke Akechi » Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:11 pm

im sure we are all irritated by the same answers we are getting
Samanosuke Akechi
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby Kenny » Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:23 pm

I still haven't heard another word of cancellation yet.

It's still floating out there.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Clint » Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:45 pm

I think you're all taking it the wrong way.

<i>"I really can't answer that"</i>

....Probably just means 'I don't fucking know".

Still, I suppose it's better than saying it's been canned.
Clint
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Currently playing: Fallout 3

Next

Return to Shenmue III