Rough Translation of Scroll

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Postby Hazuki Legend » Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:58 am

Peter wrote:But Dont forget theres a lot more issues revealed in both Shenmue games and promotional material, that seemingly havent been delt with, including:

- Other Chiyoumen members, most namely Niao Sun
- Locations and events ie, train journeys, snowy locations, Chiyoumen HQ
- Ziming, his location, past and confrontation with Xiuying
- Guizhang catching up with Ryo on his journey
- Both mirrors revealing the location of the Quing Dynasty treasure
- Bailu Village, Phantom River Stone, Mirrors legend
- Sunming Zhao,his discovery of the mirrors and his relationship with Iwao
- Ren gaining or recieving any info on the treasure he is "in for"
- Ryo's journey in general and his final fight with Lan Di

Most, if not all of these could not possibly be told through the style of gaming that this MMORPG maintains. As much as the SO trailer was a spoiler, there is stilla lot of questions to the Shenmue story to be told, and since the Shenmue Online game WILL need some sort of ending, then of course the myth of the phoenix and dragon seems to fit nicely.

I'm totally with Peter here and there's just no way that Shenmue Online can conlude the story, all of the points above are great examples and they cant be resolved through an MMORPG. Just to throw another 2 cents in would it be possible that Shenhua and Lan Di are brother and sister because Lan Di claims Iwao killed his father, Sunming Zhao and Shenhua says she doesn't know who her real parents are? Also Zhu Yuanda said that Lan Di is headed to Bailu Villiage and Ryo is also headed there with Shenhua, what i'm saying is Lan Di currently has the Dragon and Ryo/Shenhua has the Phoenix mirror will they confront each other and have the battle of Dragon vs Phoenix, this is where it could tie up with Shenmue Online.
Hazuki Legend
Est. 1989
Machine Gun Fist

XBL: Dan Whale 89

Any one can upload the screenshots of the Scroll?

Postby odaryo » Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:13 am

I found the new video clip cannot be stopped when it was being played. Have you all encountered this problem? Thus I was not able to read the full scroll carefully.

So any can upload the screenshots of the full scroll? Think I can translate it all.
odaryo
Asia Travel Representative

Re: Any one can upload the screenshots of the Scroll?

Postby Kiyuu » Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:49 pm

odaryo wrote:I found the new video clip cannot be stopped when it was being played. Have you all encountered this problem? Thus I was not able to read the full scroll carefully.

So any can upload the screenshots of the full scroll? Think I can translate it all.

Here's screenshots:

Image Image Image

I hope this is clear enough, though some parts look more clearly in the video.
Kiyuu
News Poster
News Poster

full translation of the scroll

Postby odaryo » Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:39 am

Sorry for the poor translation. The expression in the scroll is not native Chinese, but it make sense. Think I have understanded.

The vein of the Dragon may cause a giant chaos.

In the nature, the vein of the Dragon has been neutralized by a pair of mirrors: Dragon and Phoenix.

The Dragon mirror and the Phoenix mirror were sealed in the Dragon's cave.

Hundreds of years ago(in the scroll it is "months", don't know if it is an error), an earthquake occurred, as if a signal for the dying dynasty.

In order to obtain the Dragon's power, a demon entered the cave and stole the dragon's mirror.

The God Dragon awakes, bringing the earth and the nature disasters.

Great earthquakes and giant floods stand for the ending of the dynasty.

The emperor asks three ancient masters for help to control the power of Phoenix.

The lengendary Phoenix comes down from the heaven and fights back the Dragon's attack.

The Dragon's rage has been calmed down. The Dragon and The Phoenix go back to where they were from.

The Dragon's mirror and the Phoenix's mirror have been sealed again. The peace is back.
odaryo

Re: full translation of the scroll

Postby Kiyuu » Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:22 am

odaryo wrote:Sorry for the poor translation. The expression in the scroll is not native Chinese, but it make sense. Think I have understanded.

In the nature, the vein of the Dragon has been neutralized by a pair of mirrors: Dragon and Phoenix.

Hundreds of years ago(in the scroll it is "months", don't know if it is an error), an earthquake occurred, as if a signal for the dying dynasty.

In order to obtain the Dragon's power, a demon entered the cave and stole the dragon's mirror.

The emperor asks three ancient masters for help to control the power of Phoenix.

The lengendary Phoenix comes down from the heaven and fights back the Dragon's attack.

The Dragon's rage has been calmed down. The Dragon and The Phoenix go back to where they were from.

The Dragon's mirror and the Phoenix's mirror have been sealed again. The peace is back.

Thank you for the translation! Now, it's much clearer. :)

I suppose "幾百月" means "very long period" in poetical way, not an error.
Unlike RiGoRmOrTiS's translation, you don't include the word "Finis" at all.
Does "菲尼斯" mean "Phoenix," not "Finis," then? :?:
Kiyuu
News Poster
News Poster

phoenix-凤凰

Postby odaryo » Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:28 pm

In chinese we call that lengendary bird "凤凰", i suppose in Japanese also coz i remember i saw that phrase in japanese subtitle when i was playing the game. But I don't know why this word "凤凰" has been changed by "菲尼斯" in this trailer or in SM OL. Probably the shenmue staff don't know in chinese we call that bird "凤凰" also. I have to say that they don't know the chinese language well.

I suppose the reality is that this scroll should have been composed by ancient chinese expressions which have nothing to do with the content we see now. It is indeed very difficult for the shenmue staff to learn ancient chinese, So the shenmue staff just combined the modern chinese phrases and japanese gramatic to tell the story. It is just fine, at least it makes me understand.
odaryo

Postby Yutaka Suzuki » Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:28 am

odaryo wrote:Sorry for the poor translation. The expression in the scroll is not native Chinese, but it make sense. Think I have understanded.

Oh Man , thanks :D

it,s really good to seen people right here who is chinese or who know about the chinese language

keep it up man ;) we need people like you right here ^_^
Yutaka Suzuki
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Re: phoenix-凤凰

Postby Kiyuu » Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:33 am

odaryo wrote:In chinese we call that lengendary bird "凤凰", i suppose in Japanese also coz i remember i saw that phrase in japanese subtitle when i was playing the game. But I don't know why this word "凤凰" has been changed by "菲尼斯" in this trailer or in SM OL. Probably the shenmue staff don't know in chinese we call that bird "凤凰" also. I have to say that they don't know the chinese language well.

I suppose the reality is that this scroll should have been composed by ancient chinese expressions which have nothing to do with the content we see now. It is indeed very difficult for the shenmue staff to learn ancient chinese, So the shenmue staff just combined the modern chinese phrases and japanese gramatic to tell the story. It is just fine, at least it makes me understand.

We write phoenix like "鳳凰" as we don't use simplified characters.
I don't think Shenmue staff didn't know how it's written in Chinese, but they've decided
to use "菲尼斯" instead of "鳳凰" for some reason.

Anyway, this legend shouldn't be very important for the players, as it's apparent that
the developers didn't expect everyone to read it perfectly when they showed the trailer.
Kiyuu
News Poster
News Poster

Re: phoenix-凤凰

Postby odaryo » Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:43 am

Kiyuu wrote:
odaryo wrote:In chinese we call that lengendary bird "凤凰", i suppose in Japanese also coz i remember i saw that phrase in japanese subtitle when i was playing the game. But I don't know why this word "凤凰" has been changed by "菲尼斯" in this trailer or in SM OL. Probably the shenmue staff don't know in chinese we call that bird "凤凰" also. I have to say that they don't know the chinese language well.

We write phoenix like "鳳凰" as we don't use simplified characters.
I don't think Shenmue staff didn't know how it's written in Chinese, but they've decided
to use "菲尼斯" instead of "鳳凰" for some reason.

Anyway, this legend shouldn't be very important for the players, as it's apparent that
the developers didn't expect everyone to read it perfectly when they showed the trailer.

Hehe, Kiyuu,

I may agree.
odaryo

Re: Rough Translation of Scroll

Postby ys » Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:38 pm

RiGoRmOrTiS wrote:it seems like shenmue will have a history repeating kind of story. where something that happens in the past will happen again in the present.

Hm, this was something that I believed (and talked about here) for a long time. With Ryo looking for vengeance after Lan Di was there to seek revenge himself.
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby NeoShredder » Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:54 pm

Right. I don't think it can be "months" ago, because quite simply, China was and still is a Communist Republic, since 1912, and the poem refers to dynasties. If you're talking hundreds of years, then there was a significant earthquake that happened in 1556:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1556_Shaanxi_earthquake

That Earthquake is the largest in recorded history, supposedly 800,000 people died, 60% of the population. That Earthquake happened during the Ming dynasty, which, despite having ruled since the 1300's, folded "only" 88 years later in 1644 to the Quin Dynasty. Perhaps this is what it refers to?

Okay, a new, little theory. Obviously, the vein of the Dragon became "controlled" by the two mirrors "naturally". Cronologically in the poem, the earthquake happens after this control is brought. That means, that the mass damage was caused by the Dragon being released. Either way, the poem then describes someone who wants the power of the Dragon. Perhaps someone recgonised the Dragon's power, as it killed hundreds of thousands in the Earthquake, and then they attempted to control the dragon for their own ends, by using the mirrors. Maybe this person had accidentally released it in the first place, causing the Earthquake, then realised how to control it, and deliberatly set out to have that power.

But then, this is confusing. There is no Chinese dynasty period that was ended by "great earthquakes" and "giant floods". Well, unless you're considering the rest of the world, but in my opinion, it refers to China, as disasters happening in another country far away would not have a major effect if any on the Chinese Dynasty.

However, this confusion can be avioded if we consider the slight fictionalsation of events. But then again, thatmakes all research pointless, the whole historical context could be entirly made up! (Which I would find very suprising, consider the realistic and researched 80's setting of Shenmue I & II).

Since Lan Di in Shenmue I was after the mirror, and then speaks to Iwao about the Zhao Sunming (typo?), I think that Zhao Sunming's death was related to the mirrors. Lan Di avenges his death, but then also takes the mirror. What for? He had the revenge after all.

It is my opinion that Lan Di learned of the power of the mirrors a long time ago, perhaps when he knew Zhao, and I'm talking of a far younger age. Lan Di understood that Zhao had taken to intense training and meditaton, after which he gained control of the Dragon, perhaps explaining Lan Di's own flawless Martial Arts skills in an effort to emulate Zhao's practice. Lan Di wants that power, and also killed Iwao to ensure none of his interference.

I think Zhao was the decendant of the "demon" who first stole the mirrors, and he inherited them. It's possible that through all the intense Martial Arts training him and Iwao did, that he found spiritual perfection, and also found how to control the mirrors. Iwao must've regognised a real threat. Zhao perhaps became poccessed by the mirrors. So, before he could do anything with the power of the dragon, Iwao killed him as a mortal man, to prevent him from taking control. The fact that we learn Iwao kills someone, imo, as the father of the protagonist, it would be for a righteous reason, and this could be it.

Sorry if none of this ties together at all, I'm tired an stuff. Hopefully someone will understand what I'm putting forward!

Oh, and someone might like to tie in that research I once saw on the Dynasty in which the mirrors were "used", and that family tree that has Zhao at the bottom.
NeoShredder
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PSN: NeoShredder5
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby alimn » Sat Sep 16, 2006 5:28 am

Thanks for the info :)

I always believe that Shenmue is all about the secret of YIN & YANG.
;)

Regards-Ali M.N
alimn
News Poster
News Poster

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Himuro » Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:40 am

Don't whine about shenmue becoming unrealistic. I saw this coming in Shenmue 1. Why else would you go around fighting and killing for a mirror unless it has some hidden power. and why would there be a poem all about Ryo's arrival... duuurrr..

Oh please. Shenmue has always been subtle with the magic bullcrap. If you expected it to be like this..Idk what to say as it shouldn't be surprising we don't like what we saw in that SO vid.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Skillz » Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:47 pm

wants wrong not like the magic bs.. it talks about mythlogical beings and ever since he met master chen he said the mirros once did something bad when put to gether or used in the wong hands.. hmm and that other stuff... of course people with more than half a brain knew what was coming.
Skillz
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Re: Rough Translation of Scroll

Postby MiTT3NZ » Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:28 pm

RiGoRmOrTiS wrote:However the Great Phoenix fell down from the sky to fight with him and its magical wind calmed the dragon’s anger.

Wait, are you tellin us Lan Di gets to bone Shenhua?
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III