How do you picture Shenmue III in your mind?

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: How do you picture Shenmue III in your mind?

Postby Yokosuka Martian » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:36 pm

LMAO Ruben that was hilarious
Yokosuka Martian
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: MarcinTheMartian
XBL: YokosukaMartian
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: ..Uhh Shenmue

Postby Lan Di-sama » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:15 pm

Of course there is the fear that too much time has passed and it would leave us dissatisfied and wondering how much better things may have turned out if there was a Shenmue III, IV, etc on Dreamcast. And obviously, we aren't getting as much content as originally planned - seeing that the end of Shenmue II was the BEGINNING of the real story - and unless there is a very dramatic overhaul of the entire series, I wouldn't bet on Sega/Suzuki/whoever taking the risk of NOT concluding things in a single game.

But as long as there is hope for Shenmue III at all there is hope that Yu Suzuki delivers a game as groundbreaking and innovative as its (almost) 15-year old prequels. While watching the translated Project Berkley video that Ziming and Rakim just put out, I got a warm fuzzy feeling inside as I heard Suzuki describe the making of Shenmue (fun timing as we might get to hear a lot of what was being talked about in that video at the GDC event that was also just announced this week). His passion about being able to push so many boundaries for Shenmue really showed. While I'm sure he's been discouraged he definitely appears to still be passionate and hopeful about getting another shot at it.

I would like to see someone ask Suzuki what he might have changed or improved upon about Shenmue's mechanics based off some of its criticisms (and the simple fact the game is well over 10 years old now). I wonder what ideas he had at the time that they weren't able to implement due to technological or budgetary constraints. To hear him talk about the game from this angle (here's hoping it happens at GDC) we might see just how serious he is about continuing the story and how he'd go about doing it designing the game.
Lan Di-sama
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Radar » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:01 am

For me it easier to say what I don't picture. I don't picture using magic at all! I don't picture too much open world like in GTA.
Radar
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby elfshadowreaper » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:02 am

Ok, the way I see it is that nothing in my life has left me needing closure like Shenmue. As I go about my life watching movies, reading books, playing video games I've never been left needing closure with anything. And that's mostly because the stories were finished.

Naturally my life didn't come to a grinding halt after Shenmue 2. I've since graduated college, got a job, got married and just this year my wife and I celebrated the birth of our daughter. Nothing can compare to the joy of those last two things. But in the back of my mind there has been a constant nagging reminder that I still don't know what happened to Ryo Hazuki. And that nagging will always be there in some way. If it's lasted more than a decade I think it's probably here to stay.

That being said, I just want to finish the story in some fashion. Preferably I would like a game on par with the first two. I want to feel the immersion I felt when walking the streets of Yokosuka and Hong Kong as well as the rural paths of China. I enjoyed being able to knock at any door, bother any person or just sleep the day away if I wanted to. It was also neat to be able to play a video game inside of a video game. If Sega was to ever completely close the door on the series with no hope of a playable conclusion I would at the very least like a manga or an animated movie or something. It still wouldn't really be Shenmue but at least I'd know whether or not Ryo got out of that cave and who the ultimate villain in the story was.
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Yokosuka Martian » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:20 pm

Radar wrote: For me it easier to say what I don't picture. I don't picture using magic at all! I don't picture too much open world like in GTA.

I'm fairly certain that that is where the game is going, if the floating Final Fantasy sword in the cave was any indication. ;-)
Yokosuka Martian
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Radar » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:32 pm

Yokosuka Martian wrote:
I'm fairly certain that that is where the game is going, if the floating Final Fantasy sword in the cave was any indication. ;-)

There is should be scientific explanation, I hope 8)
Radar
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Yokosuka Martian » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:41 pm

no science here. move along, folks.
Yokosuka Martian
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Raithos » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:44 pm

I picture the combat playing out like this. I think everyone thought the same thing the first time they whooped some ass in Sleeping Dogs :) . Games like Sleeping Dogs, Yakuza and a few others give me hope that Shenmue could easily translate into modern gaming.

Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Storm360 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:45 pm

I'd like to see a world like the Yakuza series, only again, designed for exploring, have every building at least have a basic interior etc
Storm360
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

PSN: Storm-Iz-SiK
Steam: Stormx360

Postby elfshadowreaper » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:55 pm

I also hope they abandon the need to hold the trigger to run. That seemed kinda old even back then. I got used to it but whenever I pick it back up I have to get used to it again. Ryo kinda controlled like a tank when you try to make him turn while standing still or walking.
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby BlueMue » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:14 pm

I never had problems controlling Ryo. Yeah he moves kinda stiff and the tank controlls were kinda outdated even then but I like holding down the trigger to run. To me it's the most natural thing when I play Shenmue and the controlls instantly snap on.

I do have to agree that they need an up to date control scheme with the analog sticks for III and even for remakes. But always keep an option for the classic control scheme.
Shenmue II actually allows to steer Ryo with the analog stick, including walking and running, depending on how far you push but it feels strange because it's still tank controlls and also you can't control the camera like normal. I was very confused that they didn't use the second stick on the Xbox version for the camera in that mode...
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Previous

Return to Shenmue III