Shenmue III Mini Discussion Series

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Shenmue III Mini Discussion Series

Postby BlueMue » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:54 pm

I thought about the possibility of Zhu being the one the fortune telling could refer to earlier but I found it to be too much of a wild guess. What baffles me is that the fortune telling would be foreshadowing something that doesn't happen within the game and that doesn't seem right to me.

Does this happen when Lapis reads your future in the Shenmue? Are there any readings of events that take place in Shenmue II? Exept for any obvious stuff that can be linked to the meeting with Shenhua. I honestly have to say I don't know since I usually don't go to lapis at all. I'm doing a notebook run right now and since I have to visit her for clues all the time, I might aswell ask for the future every time I'm there.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Fenix » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:12 pm

Yes. I think there was some interesting info at Lapis's.
Fenix
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: 3D Studio Max

Postby nskachu » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:28 pm

Fenix wrote:
shengoro86 wrote:
Fenix wrote: In my opinion, these are the most discussed parts. The ones you say in the video.

Actually I'm very very interested to make a mini guide about the fortune tellers.This point is not so used as Shenmue 3 or main characters but it has very curious information about the future episodes.

Ahh true, especially the one about the fortune teller saying that a friend will become an enemy.

Ill look into that.

Thanks Fenix!

You are welcome. I've got some savegames to repeat the prediction in Wan Chai and Kowloon. Yesterday I got another one very curious. Something like "a woman with red hair (Joy???) is waiting for you close to a red machine (or something similar) and she will give you bad luck".

Damn... Sounds like I'm trolling but I swear this is the true. Or just what I actually remember. Maybe she was talking about Joy trapped and the red cage with Baihu inside. I'll look for it the next week.

I think the red machine must be her motorcycle. Joy had to be saved by ryo so this was maybe already the bad luck. but that doesnt neccessarily mean she wont cause any other bad luck. She seems to be someone who often causes problems as she already had to be saved by gui zhang.
nskachu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: with feelings

Postby Fenix » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:47 am

Oh yes. Lol. I completely forgot the motorcycle :lol:
Fenix
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: 3D Studio Max

Postby _dreaming » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:02 am

Fenix wrote: Maybe Zhu killed Zhao and blamed Iwao since it was him who gave the mirrors to Ryo's father to bring them to Japan.

Okay, I've been silently on this board for a while, but I had to register to respond to this. I agree with this idea COMPLETELY.

Also in Shenmue 1, did anyone else realize that CHAI, the skinhead creepy guy, said that Lan Di hates Zhu Yuanda?

Look here, go to 3:50
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6e86wvoD ... vs1JIHo_72

In that case, why did Zhu Yuanda say that he and Lan Di's father were best friends in Shenmue 2??? Lan Di wouldn't hate someone who was best friends with his father. Not only that, in Yu Suzuki's interview when he was asked about Zhu Yuanda, Yu basically said that he was a character that lies to protect himself and information. Connecting all of those dots together, I believe that Zhu was the one who killed Lan Di's dad. Then, Zhu took the mirrors and gave them to Iwao, and blamed Iwao for the stolen mirrors and the death so that Zhu could cover his ass. Iwao may have had no clue that he was set up, and was probably bound by promise not to tell anyone where the mirrors were to protect his friend. Somehow, Lan Di found out that 1 mirror was in Japan. But Lan Di figured out later that he needs/there is 2 mirrors, but he doesn't know where it is. So that's why Lan Di also wants to talk to Zhu in Shenmue 2 and had people working for him to capture him, to get that information! Lan Di knows Zhu Yuanda is keeping information from him, and knows he's lying about something.

And Zhu hid himself away in Kowloon because he knew that Iwao was killed and didn't want to deal with that aftermath of getting caught up by Lan Di.

Maybe this is a stretch, but it makes sense to me. Now I just need to know who was Shenhua's "father" who was carving these mirrors the entire time. That would make everything easier to understand.

_dreaming has received 2 thanks from: Fenix, nskachu
_dreaming
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby Henry Spencer » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:40 am

I always figured it was because Chai was misinformed, being a lowly criminal and all, but he may have been right. Yuanda Zhu is definitely lying and keeping back a lot of secrets. It's certainly possible to me that he could be a former member of the Chi You Men.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby _dreaming » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:13 am

I think Chai was right considering the fact that in Shenmue 2, Lan Di's men were roughing Zhu up before Ren saved him from the helicopter. And Zhu wasn't very willing to go. Lan Di has to hate him because I don't think that he would let others treat his father's best friend so roughly/cruelly. Plus why else, and who else, would Zhu be hiding from? If Lan Di liked Zhu and vice versa, Zhu would have no problem talking to him.

Here's another point. Possibly farfetched, but worth thinking about/discussing I guess. Maybe Zhu realized that Lan Di's father was dangerous and saw that he was a part of the Chi You Men. To save "mankind," Zhu killed him so that he wouldn't let the Chi You monster loose with having possession of the mirrors. Then he took the mirrors and put them where he felt that Lan Di or the Chi You Men would never find them. But then in the process, he blamed Iwao of everything so that Zhu himself wouldn't die. I don't know. Maybe this is just a HUGE stretch. Just wheels turning in my brain lol anyone is welcome to disagree with this.
_dreaming
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby Henry Spencer » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:35 pm

Okay, but why would Lan Di blame Iwao for his father's death in the first place, then? Also, you have to remember that there's also other people the Chi You Men have manipulated, such as Ziming whose parents were killed, could they have been members of the Chi You Men also? Back then, I imagine the Chi You Men would have just started/been founded and if Sunming Zhao did lead them, he could have been the one responsible for that? Why would Ziming and Xiuying's parents be killed in the first place? Is the person responsible for Ziming & Xiuying's parents death still alive? And then there's the mystery of Shenhua's "father", others on here have theorised in the past that the parents you see in the flashback are her birth parents, but her "father" is an adoptive father.

Then there's also Master Chen, who knew both Iwao and Yuanda Zhu [possibly Sunming Zhao too]; did they all know each other when they were young? Was Chen another friend from the same region as Zhao and Zhu? Does he know about some sort of fall out that took place, which he held back the info on? I mean, how else would Chen know about the "power" of the mirrors, which he explained to Ryo, the answer is possibly that he knew of Sunming Zhao's (Lan Di's father) true intentions. Why do they want some sort of beast unleashed in the first place anyway? And why does Zhu lie(is it a lie?) that forming the two mirrors together reveals "hidden treasure"... Why are these old men holding back so much information? lol.

Your theory could be true, but we have so little information to go on. So many questions.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Ziming » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:22 pm

When I see story discussions such as these it always makes me go back to watch scenes like this:

phpBB [video]

Ziming has received 2 thanks from: ShOzO MiZuKi, Yama
Ziming
Banned
Banned

Postby Peter » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:20 am

Guilin....... The Shenmue Tree......that scene.......the stone pit and the games ending. Still the best segment of gaming I have ever played, and never ever fails to give me tingles. Even the music alone is just sublime. I understand peoples arguments about Shenmue being boring, but despite its relaxing nature and long trek, Guilin was far from boring for me. Especially once we got to Shenhuas home. I felt the game stepped up 2 gears, and the story was really beginning to kick in. I wish we could continue the story :cry:
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby ShOzO MiZuKi » Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:59 am

Every time I play that last section of the game, I can't help but feel it was supposed to be the beginning of Shenmue III and they just decided to add it into Shenmue II near the end of production. :cry:

ShOzO MiZuKi has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
ShOzO MiZuKi
Homeless and hungry
Machine Gun Fist

PSN: Old_Battle_Axe
XBL: TheLastR3negade
Currently playing: Yakuza 3

Postby MiTT3NZ » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:07 am

^Fucking exactly. End of Disc 3 would've been the perfect way to end Shenmue II.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby ShOzO MiZuKi » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:34 am

Yeah I really feel like Yu was excited and pushed forward with the story to a certain extend and then was forced to stop due to time constraints or funding. "Um who knows if Sega will green light Shenmue III right away, so lets just throw in this Guilin section we have been working on." Don't get me wrong I love the Guilin portion, but It just feels like the beginning of a new game.

ShOzO MiZuKi has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
ShOzO MiZuKi
Homeless and hungry
Machine Gun Fist

PSN: Old_Battle_Axe
XBL: TheLastR3negade
Currently playing: Yakuza 3

Postby Lan Di-sama » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:17 am

I respectfully disagree. I would be nowhere near as invested in Shenmue if it ended after the Disc 3 rooftop fight.

Just because Guilin felt like the start of a new game does not make it seem out of place, in my opinion. I thought it was perfect denouement to what had so far been an exciting and faster paced second installment, but one of little plot development. Yes, Ryo made it to China met some important characters (and these characters were fleshed out so well over the course of the game, especially Ren) but I would have been disappointed if it ended after Kowloon because he really did not get much closer to his goal. It took the entire second game just to find the guy who wrote a letter to his father at the beginning of the first game.

Another reason the Guilin chapter had to happen when it did - Shenhua is as much of a protagonist in this story as Ryo is, and she had to be introduced. It had taken long enough already. Disc 4 as it stands would have been too slow paced for the beginning of a new entry in the series, and speeding it up would not have given this new turn on Ryo's journey and perspective the time needed to sink in.

Again, I'd be nowhere near as emotionally invested in this story if it did not end how it did. While rough around some edges Shenmue is really the best showcase of how video gaming can be a great medium for storytelling.

Lan Di-sama has received a thanks from: Giorgio
Lan Di-sama
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Radar » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:06 am

I 100% agree with everything what Lan Di-sama said, and also I have a feeling that probably disc 4 wasn't planned from beginnig. I mean Dreamcast was discontinued in March 30, 2001 and Shenmue II JP was released in September 6, 2001. So during development they already knew that it is the end of Dreamcast and probably the end of Shenmue series as well. And they just wrapped everything they already had and decided to make Disc 4, so they could finally introduce mysterious girl Shenhua and show how they actually planned to continue series.
Radar
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III