New Yu Suzuki Interview (Shenmue 3, Kickstarter ?)

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

New Yu Suzuki Interview (Shenmue 3, Kickstarter ?)

Postby ShenSun » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:02 pm

Just came across this on Eurogamer. Yu Suzuki is researching kickstarter to fund projects. (Shenmue 3?)

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-03-20-yu-suzuki-is-looking-into-kickstarter

He is also currently working on something.

What do you guys think?

ShenSun has received 4 thanks from: Axm, mue 26, ShenmueTree, Ziming
ShenSun
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: New Yu Suzuki Interview (Shenmue 3, Kickstarter ?)

Postby Ziming » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:18 pm

Likely related to the project he mentioned in his last interview.

The next question is probably the most important for Yu Suzuki's fans. We ask: What would Yu Suzuki like to do with Shenmue, if he had the freedom to make everything as he wants?

Actually, I'm making what I want right now. I took all the best that was in Shenmue, all that “know-how”, dropped everything that I didn't like and was not interesting for me, and I'm making a new project. It will be a fantasy. Not China and not Japan, but a new fantasy world.

Fantasy can mean different things, so we specify: Is it gonna be something medieval-like, or something more exotic? Yu Suzuki shows us illustrations.

Here, I've already drawn characters for the game. I've drawn them myself. There are the protagonists, there is the sea, and there is a mountain and on the very top of it is a castle. It stands so high, to be able to see far away and watch for pirate ships that could attack the city. I like an artist Alphonse Mucha, and I decided to work in his style. Usually, designers are making all the illustrations for me, but this time I decided to draw them myself. This game already has a script, even the music.

We ask, when is the announcement? And this is where Yu Suzuki becomes sad.

It's too soon for an announcement. I have a lot of different projects, and every one of them needs a sponsor.

He shows us a folder with projects on his laptop. There are about fifteen sub-folders, one of them is clearly labelled Shenmue 3.

I need investment.

We understand that the direct sequel of Shenmue has the same problem, and we suggest to him to use crowdfunding, which is so popular nowadays. Yu Suzuki is confused a little, but he promises us to think about it. We tell him that once we see his project on Kickstarter, we will invest as much money as we can. He is happy and shows us another of his projects, with pets and flying houses. Its development has progressed much further; there is a video clip with gameplay, and it looks like even a demo version. But unfortunately, we can't talk about that. So we're going back to interview questions.

Ziming has received a thanks from: Mitsuzuki
Ziming
Banned
Banned

Postby ShenSun » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:23 pm

I would love for Yu Suzuki to create anything at this point. The man was a genius back in the early days of SEGA. After watching the post-mortem, its clear that he thinks, designs, and approaches videogames completely different from any other developer.

Naturally, I want Shenmue 3 ASAP. But, i really do want Suzuki to develop other titles continuously for the PS4/XB1/WiiU/3DS etc.
ShenSun
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Yokosuka Martian » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:42 pm

Yeah, I feel kinda bad for him with all his ideas but noone willing to fund them : /
Yokosuka Martian
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: MarcinTheMartian
XBL: YokosukaMartian
Currently playing: ..Uhh Shenmue

Postby Lan Di-sama » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:11 pm

Ziming wrote: Likely related to the project he mentioned in his last interview.

The next question is probably the most important for Yu Suzuki's fans. We ask: What would Yu Suzuki like to do with Shenmue, if he had the freedom to make everything as he wants?

Actually, I'm making what I want right now. I took all the best that was in Shenmue, all that “know-how”, dropped everything that I didn't like and was not interesting for me, and I'm making a new project. It will be a fantasy. Not China and not Japan, but a new fantasy world.

Fantasy can mean different things, so we specify: Is it gonna be something medieval-like, or something more exotic? Yu Suzuki shows us illustrations.

Here, I've already drawn characters for the game. I've drawn them myself. There are the protagonists, there is the sea, and there is a mountain and on the very top of it is a castle. It stands so high, to be able to see far away and watch for pirate ships that could attack the city. I like an artist Alphonse Mucha, and I decided to work in his style. Usually, designers are making all the illustrations for me, but this time I decided to draw them myself. This game already has a script, even the music.

Suzuki sounds more interested in this project than Shenmue. I think it sounds great and i hope that this Eurogamer interview indicates he is getting funding for it. And it also seems like he is now aware of what crowd-sourcing is and not utterly bewildered by the suggestion.
Lan Di-sama
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby shredingskin » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:22 pm

I would love to see anything from him.

After the Shenmue postmortem you could see the guy was WAY ahead of it's time, anything he can do would be awesome.

Hopefully his projects go well, and can give us fans the gift of Shenmue III

Yokosuka Martian wrote: Yeah, I feel kinda bad for him with all his ideas but noone willing to fund them : /

I guess that's a little of the "japanese shaming" doing it's work.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby mue 26 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:53 pm

This is good. The most positive and assertive answer Yu has given in regards to Kickstarter yet. So if all else fails, it's good to know that Yu is not above considering crowd funding.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby shredingskin » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:21 pm

Well, he has said he'll look up for it before. And not that he's researching. That's no big stretch.

Also he said that he's more into "this new game" than Shenmue, but I guess he feels he "owes" something to shenmue fans.

I think he should do a good game (hopelly it will sell well enough), so some people start believing in his chops again.

If you were a publisher would you give money to a guy that made the most expensive game at the time for a half-dead console (also considering the BIG development time) and then made a million dolar budget MMORPG that never got released ? (also big time consuming).

I think what made shenmue so awesome was that it was set on contemporary times (that even today is hard as fuck to find apart from GTA/Yakuza/war fps, those violence full games), that's a little concerning to me (also a BIG FUCKING MISSED QUESTION FOR THE POST MORTEM, what would he in change in Shenmue and why).

But I would buy hard time a game made by Yu.

EDIT: maybe he shouldn't have gone with the "easy money" of social mobile shit, his arcade style of developing seems pretty strong in mobile shit today, and he was the master of arcades.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Who Really Cares? » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:44 am

For what Yu wants to do with Shenmue a kickstarter just wouldn't cut it.

Who Really Cares? has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby SledgeNE » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:35 am

I don't want a enforced Shenmue-Sequel. If Yu Suzuki has no more fun with Shenmue then he should stop do it. I wish so much a new Shenmue-Game but the interview sounds not positive for the future of the game. :|
SledgeNE
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Currently playing: Preparing for Shenmue III

Postby Shotaro Kaneda » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:20 am

shredingskin wrote: If you were a publisher would you give money to a guy that made the most expensive game at the time for a half-dead console (also considering the BIG development time) and then made a million dolar budget MMORPG that never got released ? (also big time consuming).

He wasn't making a game for a half-dead console, if anyone had known the console was going to end the way it did no one at Sega would have green lit the project or any others, simply he was making a game for a console, and at the time of the Dreamcast Sega were very much in to trying things with new games; Jet Set Radio, Crazy Taxi, Seaman, Sega Bass Fishing, etc. Sega thought their console would have a complete lifecycle not a stinted one

So would I give money to a guy who constantly for the past 13 years has had one of the most requested sequels? With fans literally offering to give money to the project? Whose reputation is making very high quality games which review well? Damn right I would, I'd have asked him (and put a hard deadline in place) to make a launch title for my next gen console for the following reasons:

1. He knows how to construct a story
2. He knows how to make a living, breathing world and make it feel real
3. At the start of a new console gen you want a game which will visually wow the audiences and he knows how to do that
4. Even if people have little interest a high percentage of people will purchase a game at console launch due to the general lack of release titles at the start of each gen so you should be able to make your money back from genuine Yu fans and also people with a general interest

The fact that Shenmue went over budget is one thing, but you can't take away the fact that a lot of games go over budget and don't actually meet the critical acclaim that Shenmue did with virtually no negative reviews
Shotaro Kaneda
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby *Kenshin Himura* » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:41 am

Hmmm...
*Kenshin Himura*
飛天御剣
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8

Postby Gojiratron » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:57 am

What publishers want to see is if there's a market for a game and of course there's demand for it. The question is if they feel there's enough demand to justify funding the game. It's nigh-on impossible for the whole project to be funded through a kickstarter campaign alone but it could be the case that someone would be willing to make it if it raised a certain amount through it. Not just for the financial benefit but as a way of gauging how much interest there actually is in the game. The downside to a kickstarter push though is that if it fails - especially if it bombs - it would probably be the final nail in the coffin for any chance of ever seeing the game.
Gojiratron
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby ys » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:16 am

shredingskin wrote:After the Shenmue postmortem you could see the guy was WAY ahead of it's time, anything he can do would be awesome.

A few things amazed me actually. Like his discussion about data compression and generating the forest according to environmental parameters. Or as he put it (loose quote) : "you don't need a forest, just a a seed".

shredingskin wrote:I guess that's a little of the "japanese shaming" doing it's work.

Possibly...

Who Really Cares? wrote: For what Yu wants to do with Shenmue a kickstarter just wouldn't cut it.

Not even close. But I've seen interviews lately with people behind new projects. And they mentioned that often potential investors just wanted to see enough of support from the buyers. At a certain point they then deemed it safe enough to jump in and fund the whole thing.
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Axm » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:08 am

Wow.. it seems Yu is really focusing on his new projects and really just has Shenmue on the back burner. I guess we cant blame him as he has to do something with his time but this just stamps it really that Shenmue 3 is most likely not in production at all. Which ofcourse makes sense that its not because an HD version or Remake should be done first.
It honestly doesnt look good for Shenmue right now. But for fans of Yu's work in general its good to see he's still working on something.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Next

Return to Shenmue III