4gamer interview - character perspective system [spoiler]

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: 4gamer interview - character perspective system [spoiler

Postby south carmain » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:57 am

^odd he would say you get to control them in that case.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby shredingskin » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:00 am

He said you could control them. But I think it'll be more like something Rashomon, and not just "do this quest with X guy", but actually seeing how something develops in the mind of the different characters.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby south carmain » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:03 am

I don't really see how being able to see from their perspective is controlling them though. Controlling them actually implies controlling them
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Postby Hyo Razuki » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:28 am

I kind of understand Yu's reluctance to talk about it though. I find it kind of odd talking about a stretch goal of which we don't even know if it's going to be in the game yet.
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby south carmain » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:34 am

Yeah talking about it then not being able to make it would just leave room for disappointment. Look at all the shit peter molyneux gets lol
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Postby Himuro » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:35 am

Sounds amazing.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby BayStone » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:40 am

Good stuff. Thanks for this.

I was hoping Ren would return, of course looking at the GDC stuff, etc. it was kind of obvious, at least I thought so.

EDIT: The character perspective system... I think it might be just controlling the perspective, rather than character. That would make more sense to me.
BayStone
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby south carmain » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:43 am

BayStone wrote: Good stuff. Thanks for this.

I was hoping Ren would return, of course looking at the GDC stuff, etc. it was kind of obvious, at least I thought so.

EDIT: The character perspective system... I think it might be just controlling the perspective, rather than character. That would make more sense to me.

How do you picture it happening?
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Postby shredingskin » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:45 am

Maybe you get to control other people decisions ??

Like, Ryo will be going to infiltrate chi you men, you can choose if ren will be going with him, stay away from it, try to get heaven's backup or something.

Either way of what's actually on Yu's mind looks really promising.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby south carmain » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:47 am

I assume other people's decisions will be influenced by the rapport system though?
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Postby Hyo Razuki » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:48 am

south carmain wrote: Yeah talking about it then not being able to make it would just leave room for disappointment. Look at all the shit peter molyneux gets lol

That name. Came to my mind too. :D I think that's the problem with a fanatical base of followers. They can make your game break the record for Kickstarter and stuff, but there is a downside to it.

I understand Yu-san wants to tickle every one's interest by talking about some fancy stuff he will do in S3. But on the other hand, with a fan base as vocal as the Shenmue community... If Yu was to talk about something, no matter what, too much and that goal wouldn't make the budget, some die hard fans would probably bombard him with emails, Facebook messages, tweets, phone calls and what not for years to come. Like "You took our money and promised we could play as Ren. You betrayed the Shenmue fans!" :)

And even if the budget was reached. Like, let's take that Skill Tree for example. What if they make it and then while beta testing they notice that they did not achieve what they wanted to do quality-wise or what if it doesn't feel right in the game and they decide to kick it out? I wouldn't wanna be in Yu's shoes. That's why if I was him, I'd also be careful about what I say I was planning to do in S3.
Last edited by Hyo Razuki on Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby shredingskin » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:49 am

Maybe not all decisions ? Maybe just Shenhua will affect rapport?

Maybe it's just a "press X to listen to this guy thoughts".

Still seems cool. I'm so pumped.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby DEVILLE_David » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:52 am

Not surprised about Ren. Whoever looked at the chapters artworks from GDC should know about this.

Great interview, thank you for translating.
DEVILLE_David
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: RavanaEX
Currently playing: God of War

Re: 4gamer interview touching the character perspective syst

Postby ys » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:59 pm

Seriously, have a look at this. Real integrity. The man doesn't want to promise too much so backers wouldn't feel betrayed. Compare this to certain huge titles getting released with features missing, downgrades,... Usually with excuses afterwards that it "was just a goal that they strived for during development".

Great interview. I'm glad that he decided not to condense it all in one game. And I likely got the right impression of him since the Shenmue Online days. He never seemed really into it which one of his remarks seems to confirm.

GoldenLotus wrote: Doesn't the part about the "smell of the graphics" seen sort of pretentious? Or is this some sort of Japanese thing Im not getting?

Not to me and I understand what he means. Maybe it's because I've worked with music? Some of us can describe the sound of an album as colors. Or as dry and wet. One album that I mastered could be described as dark brown and dry, another blue and wet, someone else described a guitar sounding as sulphur etc. I don't think that the intention was to be pretentious. Common language just isn't adequate to describe these things so extra metaphors can help a bit.

ys has received a thanks from: Hyo Razuki
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby BayStone » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:27 pm

south carmain wrote:
BayStone wrote: Good stuff. Thanks for this.

How do you picture it happening?

Mechanically, honestly, I'm not sure. It could be a form of QTE or even a simple multiple choice. But these seem rather simple, really. :D It could also incorporate a fuzzy system, where Ryo's choices affect the perspective choices the others have, but that starts get into the Rapport system territory, which is actually the thing that sort of bothers me in relation to this one. In that sense actual control might be what they're after. But that to me, seems like a strange way to go for this game, but as I haven't seen it, the point is invalid.
BayStone
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III