The Loading Screens - Kept or Removed?

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: The Loading Screens - Kept or Removed?

Postby Three Blades » Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:50 am

I think the original layout is the best way to go, too, only make the black transparent, and you can play while the info screen is still there.
That, or you make it appear like in the old games, but instead of staying there for 10 seconds, it goes away when you press a button.
I definitely think that those screens are iconic and should always be a part of Shenmue, however, 10 seconds load times are unacceptable. I can deal with it in the old games because I'm used to it, but in a new game it shouldn't stay for as long as it did in the original games.
Three Blades
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby JaySw34 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:07 am

I think the loading screens should stay. But they should only flash on screen quickly as a way to tell you where you are and to give the music a chance to change. I want every location and building to have different music like the first 2 games.
JaySw34
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: JaySw34
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby Yokosuka » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:14 am

If there is a real opportunity to improve significantly graphics, technical resources by separating locations with a fast loading, the loading screen should stay.

I just hope that Yu will not listen the fans and just does what he thinks right at this point.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Miles Prower » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:24 am

BlueMue wrote: I would like to have the world continue seamless. But they should still keep the spirit alive and show something.
Maybe like a message at the top of the screen that pop up when you enter a new area. Or maybe even the original layout right over the center of the screen, just without interrupting the game.

That seems like a fair compromise. It'd be nice to see the traditional loading screen for moving to the next 'major' area though.
Miles Prower
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

XBL: sppeac1987

Postby Jibby » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:52 am

When you do something that needs a loading screen such as enter a city or a building then, no doubt keep them. But in an open world where you can seamlessly cross into different regions, I don't think showing them for the sake of showing them is really a good idea.

Jibby has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Giorgio » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:01 am

I'd like to keep them. They set them mood before entering a (new) area or before an event happens, and let's you think/imagine for a while what would happen and how possibly you would react. It's impactful.
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza series

Postby MaxTheRabbit » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:40 am

Three Blades wrote: I think the original layout is the best way to go, too, only make the black transparent, and you can play while the info screen is still there.
That, or you make it appear like in the old games, but instead of staying there for 10 seconds, it goes away when you press a button.
I definitely think that those screens are iconic and should always be a part of Shenmue, however, 10 seconds load times are unacceptable. I can deal with it in the old games because I'm used to it, but in a new game it shouldn't stay for as long as it did in the original games.

this
MaxTheRabbit
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Himuro » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:01 am

IMO, the game should load the whole game at the beginning of start up. But keep them for going buildings for flair, even though the building has already loaded. As for the world itself, it should be one location with no loading. However, when you load a game, it should show the time/date/location screen. That way we have a compromise and everyone gets what they want. :D
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby starscream178 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:16 am

Fast travel locations if they incorporate it could make use of the old loading screen style, or any cut scene if it needed to be loaded.
starscream178
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby NeoShredder » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:18 am

Make it an option.
NeoShredder
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PSN: NeoShredder5

Postby James Brown » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:27 am

I like the idea of just a 2 second loading screen reminder, obviously don't call them loading screens that say "Now Loading..." or whatever, just as a fade to black, fade to new area, new building etc, because I agree with JaySw34, Shenmue is known for it's rich array of music, and as the screens fade the new piece of music could fade in. Everything would still feel seemless like this I think :) and you would keep the area name, and time iconic loading screens
James Brown
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

XBL: skilljimmeh

Lack of Loading Screens? No Loading Screens?

Postby Henry Spencer » Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:15 am

Just had a thought today with regards to Shenmue 3. If moving between areas and into buildings were instead instantaneous in 3 [seeing as how it's on a current generation engine, this will be highly probable], whereby effectively removing the loading screens that have the location in both English and Japanese text as well as the date/time, that people here seem to have gotten attached to seeing in Shenmue 1 and 2 over the years, how would you feel about it? Would you care? Would you like having no loading screens at all? Or would you want the loading screens to still be in there? Do they add a charm to the games?
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Re: Lack of Loading Screens? No Loading Screens?

Postby Shibiryo » Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:17 am

There should be an option to turn them on/off. I would want them to still be in there because they're classic.
Shibiryo
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Shenmue 1&2

Postby Yokosuka » Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:25 am

Fast loading for interiors like Shenmue 1 warehouses and for contextual/secret areas. Seamless for the rest with Free music system as well.

Although I already miss Shenmue 2 and its "each neighbourhood is an unique painting" philosophy.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby amiga1200 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:26 am

i see the case.
fluid loading inline with the times, no loss of ambiance.
personally, i wouldn't care if there's virtually no load times (between the large map areas) and no loading screens.
that said, use a super imposed text overlay (or smaller and offset on screen somewhere) with the same type of details displayed, keeping the overall feel to the game. (as a new area is entered, then the details appear. for structures. there's similar ways it could be addressed.)
maybe i didn't understand the subject? (bracing for shit on all sides.)
but i can adapt, as long as nothing is omitted, or cut back in terms of shenmue's ambiance.
if that's not clear, screw it.
all we can ask, is they don't screw the dog on this... 8) (ways and means. use skulls.)
[edit]
corrections.
amiga1200
Banned
Banned

Location: Third space 3Avatar class heavy battleship, Damocles
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: with gravimetric drives

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III