Kickstarter Update #12 - Vote for your favourite character

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Kickstarter Update #12 - Vote for your favourite charact

Postby Hyo Razuki » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:58 am

Tbh, I don't really see that issue. As long as it gets in some extra funding and on top of that even further cheapens the game, I'm more than happy to have some minor NPCs such as shopkeepers or passers by voiced by fans. Considering how amateurish some of the voices in the original games sounded, I don't think the fans can do any worse.
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Tomato Convenience Store » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:11 am

Hyo Razuki wrote: Tbh, I don't really see that issue. As long as it gets in some extra funding and on top of that even further cheapens the game, I'm more than happy to have some minor NPCs such as shopkeepers or passers by voiced by fans. Considering how amateurish some of the voices in the original games sounded, I don't think the fans can do any worse.

Ehh, the pledges would have to be ridiculously high for it to be worth it. I would hope that Shenmue III would have better voice acting since the standards of VO have skyrocketed in the past 15 years. Like said in another topic from YS and a few points from myself - there are tons of logistical issues with having fans voice characters from anywhere in the world, which could lead to inconsistent audio and acting quality. Directors, Writers, and Audio Engineers still need to spend time to record everything, too, and time is money.

Yes, we're hoping to save some money on development, but I don't think the game should be treated like a low budget Indie title. I'm really hoping Sony can take control of the VO process. Also, I forget offhand if there were exceptions to this, but if a game wants to use Union voice actors (meaning, in general, the best), all parts in the game need to be played by union actors. So fan NPCs would work against that.
Tomato Convenience Store
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: PuzzleQuest II

Postby Tomato Convenience Store » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:28 am

SIDE NOTE: Holy shit would I love to have a replica Phoenix Mirror, but I just don't see any reasonable way that it would cost less than the Jacket replica. Unless it's really shitty.

Tomato Convenience Store has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
Tomato Convenience Store
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: PuzzleQuest II

Postby Hyo Razuki » Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:32 am

But still, triple A titles more recent than S1 and S2 oftentimes suffer from cheesy or poorly executed voice acting. Heavy Rain, anyone? ;-)

I definitely do see your point about voice actors from all over the world, though. That could in fact become a big problem since it is very difficult to get consistent recording quality if you have many different setups used for recording (microphones, different rooms, etc.). I guess a way to make this work would be that YS would make it very clear from the beginning that evey fan who wants to have his voice in the game would have to come to the studio where the recording is done at their own expense. So every one would have to pay for their own trip to the studio, no matter where it is on top of their pledge. Also fans should by no means be allowed to slow down the development process. That's why Ys need to make it very clear from the start that if, for whatever reason, you are not there on time the money from your pledge will not be refunded and somebody else, who is on location will take over your part.

That is where I see the issue moreso than in the actual performance a fan could deliver. :)
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Thief » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:25 pm

Likely would have voted for Fang Mei, but I felt as though my vote would have been wasted on her, so instead I chose Xiu Ying.

Also voted for the mirrors and for duck racing.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby ys » Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:37 pm

Tomato Convenience Store wrote:I would hope that Shenmue III would have better voice acting since the standards of VO have skyrocketed in the past 15 years. Like said in another topic from YS and a few points from myself - there are tons of logistical issues with having fans voice characters from anywhere in the world, which could lead to inconsistent audio and acting quality. Directors, Writers, and Audio Engineers still need to spend time to record everything, too, and time is money.
if a game wants to use Union voice actors (meaning, in general, the best), all parts in the game need to be played by union actors. So fan NPCs would work against that.

I remember your points and agree about the voice acting quality and Sony's involvement.
And if fans also pay for the studio and travel costs it could get tricky if the result is unusable. Then they paid for nothing which could lead to resentment and badmouthing.

If studio costs are included Ys Net could lose money. Recordings almost always take longer than expected, especially with inexperienced people. And professional studios in the same class as Sony's cost a lot. A studio close to where I used to live had worked on big Hollywood projects and their price was $500/hour.

Good point about the Union which I wondered about myself. I don't know specifics but it can get complex. Like non-union voice actors not getting credit, union actors have refused to be in projects with non-union actors, non-union people have been obliged to join the union, ...

I initially liked the idea but don't know now. One thing that I don't like is when fans get too close to the project. There are some people who feel entitled to decide things instead of the creator because they pledged.

Edit : I voted for Shozo Mizuki after doubting for a while.

ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Namron_Bearded » Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:07 am

Hyo Razuki wrote: Considering how amateurish some of the voices in the original games sounded, I don't think the fans can do any worse.

Japanese voices are nice, but English voices sound like everyone had their soul gone away... They are already cheesy at this point. So yes, why not have a chance to Shenmue fans to have their voice in the game ? It can't be worse, or else, let's hire real professionals.
Namron_Bearded
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Currently playing: F-Zero GP Legend

Postby shredingskin » Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:32 am

So do you think they had planned tiers and just made them "a poll", or they didn't even think about more tiers and listened to fans ??
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Previous

Return to Shenmue III