Relationships in Shenmue III

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Relationships in Shenmue III

Postby Himuro » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:52 pm

I mean, in 1, the Mad Angels always call Ryo either boy or school boy. And one must remember that Ryo IS a school boy. He dropped out of HS. Ryo is a boy. His characterization has never implied anything otherwise.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby 7heavens » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:54 pm

Shenhua is 16 ... Shes def a KID.... Infact in most parts of the developed western world Ryo would be in danger of jail time if he touched that...

In shenmue 1 goro and mai were getting married and mai was only 16
Last edited by 7heavens on Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
7heavens
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Yokosuka » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:01 pm

7heavens wrote: In shenmue 1 goro and mai were getting married and mai was only 16

Which is very credible, girls of this age are naive and fall easily in love until lost their common sense. The sexual contrary is hardly an usual thing as Himuro explained before, especially when the one is the teacher, no the master !
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Kenshin » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:25 pm

Himuro wrote: Not in Japan or China. In Japan, age of consent is 13. In China it's 14.

And the game does not treat Ryo like an adult. Ryo is clearly still a mere boy. He spends time at the arcade, he buys capsule toys, he's naive and bullheaded, he struggles expressing his feelings, he's reminded endlessly of his age and lack of experience. In fact, one of the larger themes of the story is Ryo's loss of boyhood innocence. It's a story of a boy who becomes a man, in my eyes. And he's very, very much still situated in the boy stage.

Those are all qualities that are found among many adults. You' still play games dont you? I assume you are older than Ryo? Half the Shenmue community wants to pledge a certain amount in order to get capsule toys... are they all children? People collect things no matter what age they are

Ryo is the epitome of respect and honor. You are very unlikely to find many 18 year olds who act like him. He travels thousands of miles by himself... fights in death matches with grown men... fights again organized criminals who want to kill him... takes care of himslef... works jobs... and shows nothing but respect for everybody and is probably the most selfless person you could meet. Do you know anybody like that? Kid or Adult?

In the game, you can ask many people around Wan Chai about Xiuying and they will ask you if you are interested in dating her... infact one guy even gives you advice that you have to be a very touch martial artist to have a chance with her. Clearly in the game they didnt think he was just a kid.

One of the biggest overarching themes in much of Japanese anime and pop culture is the teacher and the student... it happens. lol you guys act like thats rare.
Kenshin
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:32 pm

The best romance is the one that never happens.
killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Himuro » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:33 pm

Kenshin wrote: In the game, you can ask many people around Wan Chai about Xiuying and they will ask you if you are interested in dating her... infact one guy even gives you advice that you have to be a very touch martial artist to have a chance with her.

When and where? :shock:
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby 7heavens » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:34 pm

I won't deny the possibility of a love relationship between ryo and xiuying. But I don't think it will happen just like fangmei and ryo won't happen.

You've got to love how the game introduces these female characters in ryos life and the subtle hints that are left regarding the relationships between them. Its the reason why we are having this discussion.
7heavens

Postby Kenshin » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:49 pm

Himuro wrote:
Kenshin wrote: In the game, you can ask many people around Wan Chai about Xiuying and they will ask you if you are interested in dating her... infact one guy even gives you advice that you have to be a very touch martial artist to have a chance with her.

When and where? :shock:

haha here is 20 minutes of it. You'll see it in here a few times. The guy basically goes around and asks a thousand people this same question. lol

phpBB [video]

Kenshin has received a thanks from: Himuro
Kenshin
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Kenshin » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:52 pm

7heavens wrote: I won't deny the possibility of a love relationship between ryo and xiuying. But I don't think it will happen just like fangmei and ryo won't happen.

You've got to love how the game introduces these female characters in ryos life and the subtle hints that are left regarding the relationships between them. Its the reason why we are having this discussion.

Well, thats def a possibility. Thats why I think it would be a great idea if Yu would design the game with the idea that you get the choice maybe around the end of the game or something. He's made these connections with these 4 different women so it would be cool to have the choice to take the connection further. Open world.
Kenshin
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Himuro » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:57 pm

Oh my god :rotflmao: That entire video.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Kenshin » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:09 pm

haha i know. its hard to believe somebody made a 20 minute video of that.
Kenshin
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Himuro » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:13 pm

Kenshin wrote: haha i know. its hard to believe somebody made a 20 minute video of that.

To be fair, all the answers were great characterization and diverse in terms of replies. It's a lot of dialouge you'd ordinarily miss too.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby shredingskin » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:38 pm

Love bluemue's videos.

The one with fangmei is awesome.

Like frikking awsom.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Tomato Convenience Store » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:04 am

holy shit, the guy at 2:42 - haha!

And Izumi's a little jealous!

EDIT: And I guess to actually contribute to this topic, I don't feel that at this point there's any frontrunner for a Ryo romance in the story. Xiuying is more of a mentor, Joy is more of an afterthought/bimbo and probably not Ryo's type, I agree when others have said that Nozomi is the "one that got away". Also, Nozomi probably doesn't figure into the story for a long time, if ever again, since Ryo is out adventuring.

Shenhua would be the most likely person, if at all. I would say I generally am against any sort of "choose your gf" in Shenmue. I just want to story to unfold as intended.
Tomato Convenience Store
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: PuzzleQuest II

Previous

Return to Shenmue III