Kickstarter Update #15 - The Plan & Stretch Goals revealed.

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Kickstarter Update #15 - The Plan & Stretch Goals reveal

Postby Yokosuka » Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:48 pm

Wude-Tang Clan wrote: Sony matching KS 1:1 has been my theory as well... Hope it comes to fruition.

Have to say, though, it's extremely disappointing that SEGA, a company that was essentially propped up by Suzuki-san himself, has to act like a beggar for rights to things he created. Seems very petty to me.

Also, I haven't heard a peep from SEGA of Japan on whether or not they'll be making any financial contributions to the campaign or development, which is equally as disappointing.

I'm sure they did but they just have no reason to say it publicly (if you talk about small personal contributions)
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Amir » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:09 am

I think Sega's worry is if they start promoting the Kickstarter, people will ask them the same questions Sony are being asked now, i.e. why aren't they fully funding this?
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:06 am

Amir wrote: I think Sega's worry is if they start promoting the Kickstarter, people will ask them the same questions Sony are being asked now, i.e. why aren't they fully funding this?

Well, we asked them that for 14 years and they gave zero shits.

In a perfect world this project would be funded by 3 parties. Backers, Sony, SEGA.

killthesagabeforeitkillsu has received a thanks from: mjq jazz bar
killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby mjq jazz bar » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:15 am

It's sad Sega can't even send out a press release or Tweet something about Shenmue 3. It is still their license after all.
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby TheThirdComing » Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:47 pm

Oh I am sorry. But asking for over $10+ Million is now making the Kickstarter seem like a joke. It's barely made $200'000 all week. Sure we might have a rush near the end, but at this rate this KickStarter will be unsuccessful. And what if it is unsuccessful? I mean how unbalanced is the game going to be if we meet all of goals for Baisha Village but do not meet the goals of the other two areas? Are they just going to be plain and boring - That to me would just compromise the game and make it a whole waste of time. I'm really starting to disapprove of the way this is being handled.
TheThirdComing
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Wude-Tang Clan » Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:56 pm

TheThirdComing wrote: Oh I am sorry. But asking for over $10+ Million is now making the Kickstarter seem like a joke. It's barely made $200'000 all week. Sure we might have a rush near the end, but at this rate this KickStarter will be unsuccessful. And what if it is unsuccessful? I mean how unbalanced is the game going to be if we meet all of goals for Baisha Village but do not meet the goals of the other two areas? Are they just going to be plain and boring - That to me would just compromise the game and make it a whole waste of time. I'm really starting to disapprove of the way this is being handled.

Star Citizen raised 74 million dollars through crowdfunding, 2.1 million of which came from Kickstarter. This is not over when the campaign ends.

Wude-Tang Clan has received a thanks from: Amir
Wude-Tang Clan

Postby Erevador » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:53 am

TheThirdComing wrote: Oh I am sorry. But asking for over $10+ Million is now making the Kickstarter seem like a joke. It's barely made $200'000 all week. Sure we might have a rush near the end, but at this rate this KickStarter will be unsuccessful. And what if it is unsuccessful? I mean how unbalanced is the game going to be if we meet all of goals for Baisha Village but do not meet the goals of the other two areas? Are they just going to be plain and boring - That to me would just compromise the game and make it a whole waste of time. I'm really starting to disapprove of the way this is being handled.

I think it is likely that if less money is raised those areas will simply be de-emphasized and made much smaller. Vital NPCs may be moved to Baisha instead, and the game's focus may become more specific. To use a familiar Shenmue example, if Baisha becomes like Dobuita, those areas may become like Sakuragoaka, satisfying but compact.
Erevador
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Seraph87 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:07 am

Wude-Tang Clan wrote:

Star Citizen raised 74 million dollars through crowdfunding, 2.1 million of which came from Kickstarter. This is not over when the campaign ends.

These Star Citizen comparisons dont't make any sense. SC had a very professionally led campaign with an enormous fanbase and constant progress with additional content to buy, and it's a game with a much more interesting setting for a wide audience. Shenmue is a niche game with a small, but motivated fanbase with an asian setting and it's a sequel of two games which most people don't even know.

It would be reasonable to continue funding after the campaign but this will never be nearly as popular as SC.
Last edited by Seraph87 on Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Seraph87
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Hyo Razuki » Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:23 am

^That said, the small but dedicated fan base can still make a difference. Of course we're not gonna get anywhere near Star Citizen but I think we will be able to make a couple extra million dollars. Not sure if we can get to 10M but even if we make another 4 or 5 million within the next two years it would make a huge difference for Ys Net.

Which is why I personally think the monthly contribution thing is a great idea.
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Three Blades » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:12 am

They REALLY need to add a paypal option, and not just to continue getting more funds until the game's release... but mostly, so that motherfuckers can't just pledge and then REMOVE IT like cowardly little pussies!
Seriously, what's going on? It's been losing money since the beginning of the week end.
Three Blades
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Previous

Return to Shenmue III