Rough transcript of the interview on Twitch

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Rough transcript of the interview on Twitch

Postby benayun88 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:17 pm

phpBB [video]

For those who missed the Twitch stream, I made a very rough transcript while listening to the interview.
Here we go:

"We have lots of very important things to get to so let's start right away!"

*They all pause to drink some Fanta*

Q: "One more time, explain Sony's role in Shenmue 3."

A: "Sony's providing us comprehensive support in terms of publishing and marketing, as well as funding of the project partially."

*Stream goes down due to technical issues*

Q: Once again they ask about Sony's role

A:"Sony is providing us comprehensive support in marketing, promotion, and funding. They are one of the most important partners of this project. But as we said before in our statement ... they are not receiving one cent from the Kickstarter... the funds collected in the KIckstarter project will be all used for development except for the fees used for the Kickstarter and for providing the Kickstarter rewards. Not a single cent will go to Sony from the Kickstarter funds."

Q: PS4 physical reward ?

A: "It's one of the most requested rewards and I personally want to prepare for it as a reward. We are now considering how we can provide the reward in such a way that satisfies the backers. Please be patient."

Q: Before you were talking about how the funds will be spent. Can you explain more?

A: "We have a pie chart for how the funds from Kickstarter will be spent. KS
Fees: 8 - 10 % Game development: 65 to 72% Backer rewards: 20 - 25% Most of the kickstarter funds are going to the game development. Everything excluding necessary fees and the reward fulfilment.. everything's gonna be used for development."

Q: "Will the real Ryo please stand up?"

A: "We're still improving the qualities of Ryo's face. Not satisfied with the face Ryo has right now. Today we have the latest version, a new pic or Ryo's face. (They show a pic) This new pic we're not satisfied with. Ryo still looks kind of 'frowny.' So I want to continue the improvement. I want to enhance Ryo's attactiveness and personality through not only the models but through the facial expressions and actions he does to make Ryo even better. So we are going to see an improved Ryo in the future. He'll be much better through the process of development."

Q: "Another big issue. Voice actors coming back to reprise their roles. Specifically Ryo. Will we be seeing them again?"

A: "So, I think that the original voice actors will be the best match for Ryo's voice. So I want them to come back as his real voice in shenmue 3 as well. I'm now in negotiation with them. Please wait. We'll have more details about that."

Q: "Will PayPal be an option to help fund Shenmue 3?"

A: "No definite answer, but we're looking into it."

Q: "Is Shenmue 3 going to be DRM free on PC?"

A: "We are now looking into it, but it's not something I alone can decide on. I'm talking to other parties to decide if that's possible... we're looking into it."

Q: "Shenmue 1/Shenmue II HD remaster: are we gonna see it?"

A: "I personally want to see them so that the fans can enjoy Shenmue 3 more. However the property rights belong to SEGA, so I'm not in a position to comment on it. But I want it, so I will talk to SEGA if that's possible."

Q: "More rewards?"

A: "Today we will have additional rewards. First of all we have the grab bags. A lot of surprises in different prize tears, starting from 1,000 dollars to 500 dollars. It contains Shenmue merchandise, and it is random, so you have fun in opening the bag. And also we'll have one more reward, that is the replica of Ryo's watch. There is only one. This will be in the 5,000 reward tier. *They show the watch*

Q: "What are the other rewards going to be like?"

A: "The grab bags will include for example special figures of Ryo. There are also Shenmue watches. (Not the one just shown.) They also include autographed art work. Check out the page later. The rewards will be up. Check it out! For today we have grab bags and watches but in the future we'll have more additional rewards so please stay tuned to the kickstarter page!"

Q: "Stretch goals... stretch goals... stretch goals. Can we get a little bit of explanation please, about the stretch goals."

A: "The budget we have right now, it's Shenmue with story elements. It will be Shenmue 3 up until the duel against the four big bosses. But with additional stretch goals, more areas are going to be added and expanded.

The Rapport system is the system that governs the changes in characters' attitudes toward you, depending upon actions you take in conversations. It will provide a new twist to Shenmue.

In Shenmue 3 there'll be a lot of occasions when you can obtain technique scrolls through special events, jobs, missions, etc. They can be used in battle right away as a QTE. However the advanced skill scrolls and arcane skill scrolls are managed in a tree diagram. Completing that tree will be another side of fun, and it links to the actual martial art learning.

Q: "More on stretch goals"

A: "With the area Baisha, we want to include new fun not included in Shenmue 2. Traditional tactics such as seige and infiltration that we see in warring kingdoms in traditional China are also added. But I want to make it Shenmue-like, easy to grasp, easy to play, and provide more fun.

There's an opportunity for the players to play as different characters. In that event you'll see different choices that different personalities offer, different from Ryo and other characters. That will provide more fun and more personality to the characters.

So there's a lot more stretch goals we published, but there will be a large amount of explanations and a large amount of fun still to come, so we'll leave it to other occasions to explain the other stretch goals.

Your cooperation is what makes this Kickstarter progress, so please support us!

Q: "How will Shenmue 3 at its current funding level be different from Shenmue 3 at the 10 million dollar level?"

A: "The current funding level - about 3.6 million - will have story oriented Shenmue. More focus on story. Exceeding 5 million will allow the development to include more things that are new, such as we explained about Baisha. Exceeding 10 million will allow for the players to enjoy a more open world like Shenmue."

Q: "When is Shenmue 3 going to be released?"

A: "It's expected to be released by the end of 2017. We're confident."

Q: "Is this the end of the story?"

A: "The initial storyline contained 11 chapters. With 1 & 2 it advanced to only a little bit of the 11 chapters. I considered doing the final game to include all the remaining chapters, but in the final consideration it would be skipping all the big arcs, and the completeness of the game would be less enjoyable. So this Shenmue 3 will have more storylines, but this structure will not finish the storyline with Shenmue 3."

Q: "When can we play the trial version?"

A: "It requires many of the basic systems to be developed. The release date of the demo version will be the latter half of the development stage. It might be after the new year of 2017. Until then it requires more development for the basics."

(Inaudible)

Please keep sending us your questions. We want to make Shenmue 3 the best we can. Please share the project. Get the word out. Let everybody know that Shenmue 3 is happening, and we need everybody to support and make sure that we make this Shenmue 3 spectacular."

Q: "Final thoughts?"

A: "I always want to do new things. I hope to achieve all the things I want to do in the new Shenmue, matching with what the Shenmue the fans want, to meet the ten million dollar goal. We ask your continued support, and that you spread the word around to make Shenmue a real thing! Thank-you very much!"

"Let's make this happen! Everybody has been so great the past fourteen years. Making it happen. It's happening now. #SaveShenmue! Let's do this! Thank-you!"
Last edited by benayun88 on Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

benayun88
Asia Travel Representative

Currently playing: shenmue1

Re: Rough transcript of the interview on Twitch

Postby NismoZZzz » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:28 pm

Great transcript!

At this point I can't wait for the kickstarter to just end and Shenmue goes quietly into development.
NismoZZzz
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby code l name » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:31 pm

Thank you for this I have re-posted this if you don't mind to Neogaf
code l name
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby benayun88 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:32 pm

code l name wrote: Thank you for this I have re-posted this if you don't mind to Neogaf

i would appreciate a credit if possible
benayun88

Currently playing: shenmue1

Postby Anonymous81 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:19 am

Not that I care about credit... but I'm actually the one who made this transcript lol. :P

But that's okay. Share freely, far and wide! I care not. :) Whatever helps the game.

Anonymous81 has received a thanks from: Yama
Anonymous81
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Witcher 3

Postby code l name » Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:21 am

Thank you for your effort.

Can Kiyuu or someone provide us an accurate translation for some of Yu's answers? I feel translator gave us a sloppy translation on many questions.

code l name has received a thanks from: Axm
code l name
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Technophilz » Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:22 am

](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)
Technophilz
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Shenmue IIx

Postby Ceej » Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:29 am

Thanks for this...the guy that was sitting all the way to the right was just being so obnoxious I couldn't watch the stream. I don't know who that was or what his deal is but damn.
Ceej

Postby Miles Prower » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:33 am

Thanks very much for this! The character perspective system in particular sounds very interesting, and it's good to know that Ryo's model is constantly being worked on :)
Miles Prower
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

XBL: sppeac1987
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby shenhua legend » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:48 am

Is the video archives somewhere?.
shenhua legend

Postby Rika » Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:13 am

shenhua legend wrote: Is the video archives somewhere?.

I did see an archive version I think on Twitch.
Rika

Postby Switch » Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:26 am

code l name wrote: Thank you for your effort.

Can Kiyuu or someone provide us an accurate translation for some of Yu's answers? I feel translator gave us a sloppy translation on many questions.

I'm working on one at the moment O:)

Hopefully it has not already been done elsewhere.

Switch has received a thanks from: Axm
Switch
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Axm » Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:31 am

The actual video interview was god awful. I suggest you all to not waste your time trying to watch it. This transcript provides all the information you'll need on it, no thanks to Awful Japan.

-Shenmue 4 basically confirmed barring we don't all hate S3.
-Physical PS4 release consideration
-Paypal consideration
-Suzuki will asking Sega to do S1&2 HD
-Stretch goal info, most of which we already knew
-Added rewards to kickstarter

That pretty much sums it up.. Shenmue 3 definitely not being the last game is the biggest thing we learned.
Last edited by Axm on Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

Axm has received a thanks from: Thief
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Thief » Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:33 am

Axm wrote: The actual video interview was god awful. I suggest you all to not waste your time trying to watch it. This transcript provides all the information you'll need on it, no thanks to Awful Japan.

-Shenmue 4 basically confirmed barring we don't all hate S3.
-Physical PS4 release consideration
-Paypal consideration
-Asking Sega to do S1&2
-Stretch goal info, most of which we already knew
-Added rewards to kickstarter

That pretty much sums it up.. Shenmue 3 definitely not being the last game is the biggest thing we learned.

And Corey Marshall confirmed to be Suzuki's ideal voice for Ryo -- negotiations in effect.

Thief has received a thanks from: Axm
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Axm » Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:35 am

Yes thats actually the second biggest.
If you dont watch the video, this interview looks like it was a success. Then you realize any fan could have asked these questions and more in a non-retarded manner.

But ya, Corey is probably back! Very happy about it.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Next

Return to Shenmue III