New Shenhua face!

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: New Shenhua face!

Postby Sonoshee » Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:43 am

I really like the open sleeves (just as it should be), not sure about the face yet either but it's still early days :)
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Technophilz » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:10 am

We need a good texture/shading artist on board, that plastic skin look is way outdated today...
Take a look at this video if you have time and see where the industry is today ...

phpBB [video]

Technophilz has received a thanks from: Miles Prower
Technophilz
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Shenmue IIx

Postby Sonoshee » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:47 am

Technophilz wrote: We need a good texture/shading artist on board, that plastic skin look is way outdated today...

You are acting like this is the final version :-s
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Snakiest » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:58 am

And that is Uncharted - the benchmark game of PlayStation where technology is pretty much the main focus of the project.

In Yu we trust.
Snakiest

Postby Technophilz » Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:47 am

Snakiest wrote: And that is Uncharted - the benchmark game of PlayStation where technology is pretty much the main focus of the project.

In Yu we trust.

Uncharted 4 is a very relevant example since they are trying to upgrade a set of already established characters for current-gen hardware and modern standards, and that's exactly what Shenmue's characters design needs.
Last edited by Technophilz on Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Technophilz

Postby Technophilz » Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:48 am

Sonoshee wrote:
Technophilz wrote: We need a good texture/shading artist on board, that plastic skin look is way outdated today...

You are acting like this is the final version :-s

and btw what they showed in the Uncharted 4 design video was not their final version ....
Technophilz

Postby Gavan » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:02 am

Technophilz wrote:
Snakiest wrote: And that is Uncharted - the benchmark game of PlayStation where technology is pretty much the main focus of the project.

In Yu we trust.

Uncharted 4 is very a relevant example since they are trying to upgrade a set of already established characters for current-gen hardware and modern standards, and that's exactly what Shenmue's characters design needs.

I would love to see character models that look as good as those of Uncharted 4, but I don't think we should be expecting that. We have to be realisitc, Shenmue 3 probably won't have the same budget. Personally I would be happy with "good enough" graphics (at least as good as the old games) as long as the characters look recognizable and the rest of the game is great.

Gavan has received a thanks from: Technophilz
Gavan

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Sonic Mania Plus

Postby Yama » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:13 am

We can't really blame people for being overzealous when they're releasing character models, which they really should not at this time. It's more detrimental than good imho. The game has not started development, especially not with a full staff. So this is nothing more than a quick fix done to present something for the KS reveal on the E3 stage. I'd rather see what's done by the actual team down the road, all of this is just confusion. The vision ultimately should and will be Suzuki-san's, so with the proper talent, it'll come out perfect. Until then.

Yama has received 4 thanks from: Henry Spencer, Hyo Razuki, Technophilz, Yaohua
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

PSN: YamaMX
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Doom_Infinite » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:41 am

I agree that there's nothing wrong with comparing with Uncharted 4. Shenmue III is looking to have at the very least 10m in development (probably 5-7 via KS and extra via other funding). Ideally it's seeking more (with at least 10m via KS alone). With that kind of money on the Unreal Engine 4 which is free you can get those kind of visuals, especially by 2017. I don't think Shenmue aims for those gritty colors so it would look very different but I expect character models to be quite gorgeous in the finished product. This is a Yu Suzuki game and a Shenmue one at that. ^^
Doom_Infinite

Postby Drakul » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:51 pm

Technophilz wrote: Uncharted 4 is a very relevant example since they are trying to upgrade a set of already established characters for current-gen hardware and modern standards, and that's exactly what Shenmue's characters design needs.

You do realize the budget that an Uncharted game requires?? And it's a linear game so imagine that in open world...

I really like the updated design.
Drakul

Postby Jackie Fhan » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:58 pm

The plastic skin look has been a big part of games for a while now. ESpecially with UE3. Most of the games in UE3 looked like they were covered in jelly. A lot of games use similar shaders and I never enjoyed that looked at all honestly.

Artistic styles have went away in a lot of games in favor of trying to make games more realistic.

Some examples of bad looking character models imo

Mortal Kombat - Just look so unrealistic and badly shaped. The character select screen art really look horrible ...
Fighting games in general haven't looked that good in a long time for me atleast

Uncharted is nice and realistic but I'd rather see some sort of different art style from them.
Jackie Fhan
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Jak , Sly Cooper, Many..

Postby Jackie Fhan » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:01 pm

Yama wrote: We can't really blame people for being overzealous when they're releasing character models, which they really should not at this time. It's more detrimental than good imho. The game has not started development, especially not with a full staff. So this is nothing more than a quick fix done to present something for the KS reveal on the E3 stage. I'd rather see what's done by the actual team down the road, all of this is just confusion. The vision ultimately should and will be Suzuki-san's, so with the proper talent, it'll come out perfect. Until then.

There are instances when things like visuals and expansion don't change a lot though. Sometimes it just depends on the people, their talet and style. I'm not saying this is the issue with SH3 though.

I don't always believe early footage of things will dramatically improve. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. Again, not a reference to SH. I know they will be hiring and putting a lot more work into the project than they have did so far.

It would be nice to know how long they have been doing actual game development on the game though.
Jackie Fhan
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Jak , Sly Cooper, Many..

Postby Himuro » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:11 pm

My only worries for the character models is if they make the characters look less Asian in the final release, or more cartoony/anime. I could probably take more anime, but if they make Ryo and Shenhua look white.... [-X Ideally, I really them to look like more realistic versions of their DC counterparts, which I know is expecting a lot. :sad: But in Yu I trust!

Himuro has received a thanks from: ElephantStone
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby ianpm31 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:28 pm

The face has definitely improved. It's a little anime-ish but with time they will nail it
ianpm31
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby mindcrime » Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:35 pm

It's still very early days, obviously, but I think the first face was quite nice, apart from the hair. That look feels more natural to me. Warm, open and friendly.

Oh well... I have faith in Suzuki-san. He will deliver!
mindcrime
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III