Shenmue III controls/gameplay

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Shenmue III controls/gameplay

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:34 pm

ash55 wrote: I think the third person controls for Destiny while at the tower are some of the most fluid and intuitive I've seen, but they still give a sense of presence and weight that I think Shenmue needs. I think Ryo would need to walk slower though, and the camera would need to be slower and more deliberate.

I'd go with this... https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5333907/s3controllerlayout.jpg (I made a quick graphic to better convey the scheme)

The D-Pad would have the same input as the Left Stick. For QTE's and Fighting too.

Custom Options:
Swap Left and Right Triggers around.
Swap L2 and R2 with L1 and R1.
Swap Left and Right Analogue Sticks around.

Someone mentioned using motion controls. I don't see the point... You'd need the PS camera which not everyone has, and it seems more of a gimmick. Maybe if they add a little mode to view the world in VR, then motion controls may have some practical use, since the controller would be an extention of your hands while immersed in VR.

You don't need a ps camera to use dualshock 4 movement sensor. Its hard to explain via text... I guess "tilt" is the correct term for what I wanted to describe. Similar to what Until Dawn is doing.
killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby ash55 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:14 pm

killthesagabeforeitkillsu wrote:You don't need a ps camera to use dualshock 4 movement sensor. Its hard to explain via text... I guess "tilt" is the correct term for what I wanted to describe. Similar to what Until Dawn is doing.
Cool, I just assumed you meant like tracking the lightbar to have a Wii-mote type of pointing interaction, or maybe reaching out into 3 dimensional space and pointing/grabbing that way.

Yeah you're right, the controller has rotational movement (3 Degrees of Freedom) without the camera (and the cam adds translational movement). 3DOF might be neat for turning capsule toys and other objects around in Ryo's hands since his hand is limited to 3DOF too.

I'm not so sure that it's ideal for aiming/pointing though, since the game has no idea where the pointing device is positioned in relation to the screen. But I hell, I don't know. Maybe it'd work.

So long as it's not compulsory, and takes minimal dev time. :D
ash55
Asia Travel Representative

PSN: TFMash55
XBL: ash55
Steam: ash55
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Three Blades » Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:51 pm

Do you guys think the game should still have the "L-trigger lock on" ? It worked ok for the first games, but when there were various elements around the thing would lock to anything, also it was difficult to "look around" things because again, it would lock.

But in a situation like that, you use the control stick to look around. Then Ryo will look around without the view becoming first-person, and actually move his head around, too, which is pretty cool, and more realistic than if it was just the camera moving. (Also, the lock-on was the R trigger... L was used to run)

As the games are now, D-pad movement was way better. Shenmue 2 lets you use the analog stick (if you want to torture yourself), but it's not really true analog, it's just the D-pad movements mapped to the stick. Shenmue controls are very simple and intuitive the way they are now, but a bit of overhaul would be good, mostly for how Ryo controls in small area like corridors and so on.
Three Blades
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Snakiest » Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:06 pm

The controls in gtav worked really well, in my opinion, without sacrificing the fluidity of animation. They'll probably want to do something similar.

In Yu we trust.
Snakiest
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Yokosuka » Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:20 pm

I just hope Ryo will not have too much inertia like Ubisoft games.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Yokosuka » Sun Dec 25, 2016 11:37 am

I heard people saying Ryo is as heavy as a truck.

But his "weight" emphasis is what made the game believable (object targeting apart).

What ideal gameplay these people have in mind?
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Suzuki Yu » Sun Dec 25, 2016 2:25 pm

i don't want them to change the L & R triggers functionality or the looking mechanics. please please please don't! (in today's standard L & R should be L2 & R2 triggers) i don't want Ryo to simply run with only analog or D-Pad. it will not feel right with Shenmue. also Tank controls FTW. imagine moving the camera around Ryo? FUCK THAT! it will ruin the feel of immersion for me. Tank Controls is truly important in Shenmue games and it will effect the overall feel for the worse if it was out!

as for the D-Pad & movement.. i don't mind if they want to replace it with the left analog but more importantly the right analog should be used to look around. AGAIN to look around not to move the camera around Ryo!

for the love of GOD keep the same functionality of the L&R triggers and keep the looking mechanics all the same.
Suzuki Yu
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Rikitatsu » Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:19 am

Yokosuka wrote: I heard people saying Ryo is as heavy as a truck.

But his "weight" emphasis is what made the game believable (object targeting apart).

Suzuki Yu wrote: i don't want them to change the L & R triggers functionality or the looking mechanics. please please please don't! (in today's standard L & R should be L2 & R2 triggers) i don't want Ryo to simply run with only analog or D-Pad. it will not feel right with Shenmue. also Tank controls FTW. imagine moving the camera around Ryo? FUCK THAT! it will ruin the feel of immersion for me. Tank Controls is truly important in Shenmue games and it will effect the overall feel for the worse if it was out!

as for the D-Pad & movement.. i don't mind if they want to replace it with the left analog but more importantly the right analog should be used to look around. AGAIN to look around not to move the camera around Ryo!

for the love of GOD keep the same functionality of the L&R triggers and keep the looking mechanics all the same.

Agreed on both points.

The camera was covering Ryo's point of view, so having a 360 degree control over the camera independent of Ryo's view point will not do the immersion any favors.

Anyway, they've said Ryo will be able to jump in Shenmue 3, so I'm hoping it's executed properly. Being able to jump around at anytime will probably be immersion breaking, so something that triggers contextually.. Like Zelda:OoT for example, that would be fine by me.
Rikitatsu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Gromber » Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:08 pm

they should add vibration?
Gromber

Postby johnvivant » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:18 am

Shenmue 3 controls (adventure mode FREE ):

L stick - 360 3d movement walk/jog
R stick - 360 camera
L2 -trigger - camera zoom/lock on, first person if depressed fully
R2- trigger - hold to sprint while pushing forward on L stick, also allows you to push through crowds
L1 - view wrist watch, then press square to activate the back-light, or press x to initiate time-skip feature.
R1- press to look in direction of NPC partner, double tap to call NPC partner, keep button held when next to Shenhua to hold her hand and lead her
X - speak, confirm, read signs - hold to bring up dialogue tree
O- assign inventory object to this button to show to npcs, to get more information about it, or give as gift or other.
Square - general context based interaction, e.g. open doors, interact with vendors, insert sword of seven stars into plinth etc.
Triangle - inventory, hold to view move list
Options - pause
Touch pad button - open notebook, turn pages by swiping left/right
hold touch pad button to open map
D-pad - classic dreamcast movement

johnvivant has received 2 thanks from: Anonymous81, hxcx af fan
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby johnvivant » Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:26 am

just had an idea about the time skip feature.

hold L1 to view wrist watch. you can then press Square to activate its backlight or hold X to initiate the time skip feature. The hands on the face rotate and you let the button go at your desired time. Maybe while or after you do this, the camera can zoom back out from the watch in order for you to view the effects of the sped up time, like the sky, lighting and weather change, similar to Shenmue 2.

johnvivant has received a thanks from: Anonymous81
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Anonymous81 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:37 pm

johnvivant wrote: Shenmue 3 controls (adventure mode FREE ):

R stick - 360 camera
R2- trigger - hold to sprint while pushing forward on L stick, also allows you to push through crowds
L1 - view wrist watch, then press square to activate the back-light, or press x to initiate time-skip feature.
R1- press to look in direction of NPC partner, double tap to call NPC partner, keep button held when next to Shenhua to hold her hand and lead her
O- assign inventory object to this button to show to npcs, to get more information about it, or give as gift or other.
Square - general context based interaction, e.g. open doors, interact with vendors, insert sword of seven stars into plinth etc.
Options - pause

I vote for this. Compromise both newcomers and vets can enjoy imo.

Anonymous81 has received a thanks from: hxcx af fan
Anonymous81
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Witcher 3

Postby hxcx af fan » Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:11 pm

Anonymous81 wrote:
johnvivant wrote: Shenmue 3 controls (adventure mode FREE ):

R stick - 360 camera
Options - pause

I vote for this. Compromise both newcomers and vets can enjoy imo.

agreed

keep the original feel, with some updated features. Really thats what we want the entire game to be overall, so it makes sense

hxcx af fan has received a thanks from: Anonymous81
hxcx af fan

Postby John Doom » Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:08 pm

Rikitatsu wrote:
Yokosuka wrote: I heard people saying Ryo is as heavy as a truck.

Suzuki Yu wrote: i don't want them to change the L & R triggers functionality or the looking mechanics. please please please don't! (in today's standard L & R should be L2 & R2 triggers) i don't want Ryo to simply run with only analog or D-Pad. it will not feel right with Shenmue. also Tank controls FTW. imagine moving the camera around Ryo? FUCK THAT! it will ruin the feel of immersion for me. Tank Controls is truly important in Shenmue games and it will effect the overall feel for the worse if it was out!

Agreed on both points.

The camera was covering Ryo's point of view, so having a 360 degree control over the camera independent of Ryo's view point will not do the immersion any favors.

Anyway, they've said Ryo will be able to jump in Shenmue 3, so I'm hoping it's executed properly. Being able to jump around at anytime will probably be immersion breaking, so something that triggers contextually.. Like Zelda:OoT for example, that would be fine by me.

I think 360° control over the camera could be possible without breaking the immersion if they also make Ryo turn with the camera every 45° degrees or so, just like it happens when in first person in the original games.
Ideally, they could include both the original and a new control scheme, but it could be hard if they require completely different scripts for optimization.
John Doom

Steam: John Doom
Currently playing: Yakuza

Previous

Return to Shenmue III