Shenmue III controls/gameplay

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Shenmue III controls/gameplay

Postby shredingskin » Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:45 am

Do you guys think the game should still have the "L-trigger lock on" ? It worked ok for the first games, but when there were various elements around the thing would lock to anything, also it was difficult to "look around" things because again, it would lock.

Also I never liked the first person mechanic introduced in shenmue II, the controls were really bad (it was actually third person movement with first person perspective, so it felt floaty and unresponsive).

The tank controls were precise for little space navigation, but I don't think this will be kept in SIII since today it feels cumbersome.

But also thinking about modern games, there is not a choice that will keep that intimate Shenmue flavor but that feels responsive.

Some examples I can think are:
- LA noire (mix of trigger locking, and wandering around until you hear a beap or vibration). It felt wonky.
- First person WRPG: they work OK, but it's aimed mostly at mouse and pointing, I don't think it can work for Shenmue.
- Third person WRPG: again, walking around till you get a promt, or a UI overlay to the object. It isn't as intimate as Shenmue, and doesn't allow to exploration of detail.
- Quantic dream: UI overlay objects that can be interacted using different input for different hotspots.
- new Sherlock Holmes games: Third person "walking around" + first person with a button. After clicking one hotspot it will open another scene where you can look around with point n click.

Do you guys have any preferences, examples or ideas of how Shenmue III should be controlled ?
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Re: Shenmue III controls/gameplay

Postby zaneiken » Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:27 am

I can't offer any suggestions as to how it SHOULD be controlled, I'd just like to have the option of the old tank controls in addition to any new control schemes.

zaneiken has received a thanks from: Esppiral
zaneiken
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Retroberra » Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:46 am

I wonder if/how the PS4 touchpad will be used? Maybe to scroll through the notebook?
And might the PC version have any mouse input? (probably not?)
Retroberra
Asia Travel Representative

Currently playing: Neo Darts

Postby Himuro » Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:53 am

Controls should be analog.

There should be a first person view toggle. Hit that to go into first person which allows you to zoom and examine objects.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Kobe » Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:23 pm

Himuro wrote: Controls should be analog.

Hah! my arse, D-pad FTW!

Kobe has received a thanks from: Mr357
Kobe
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Jibby » Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:38 pm

Kobe wrote:

Hah! my arse, D-pad FTW!

I think someone's being blinded by nostalgia :P
Let's face it, Shenmue's controls are clunky and uncomfortable and definitely need a modern overhaul.

Jibby has received 2 thanks from: Himuro, SickOctopus
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Kobe » Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:40 pm

Jibby wrote:
Kobe wrote:

Hah! my arse, D-pad FTW!

Let's face it, Shenmue's controls are clunky and uncomfortable and definitely need a modern overhaul.

No?

I just stated D-pad

Shenmue is all D-pad, even the QTE.
Kobe
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Jibby » Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:43 pm

Kobe wrote:No?

I just stated D-pad

I'm just joking :)
I think the D-pad is better for QTE but not for movement.
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:52 pm

Kobe wrote:
Jibby wrote:
Kobe wrote:

Hah! my arse, D-pad FTW!

No?

I just stated D-pad

That's true. A good game builds with a controller in mind and the QTEs, Free Battle, movement, etc were designed for DC's D-Pad.

But... That was almost 15 years ago. Shenmue 3 will most likely be build for the dualshock 4 and support 360 inputs/new features.

For example, the first person view could be built around DS4 motion sensor. Press R2 for FP view, move controller to point towards what you want, press X to interact.
killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:53 pm

I dont think there is much that really needs to be changed in terms of the controls. If they left the old controls in I wouldnt mind one bit. But im also open to modifications for this release, I mean why not have an analog stick control how fast Ryo walks and runs simply my tilting it further? Then that frees up an extra shoulder button for a different functionality the game may need/use. I still wont complain to the familiarity of the tried and true though. It really depends on what new features are going to be in this game/what direction they really want to go/how much they want to change or keep the same.

On the one hand, the nostalgia factor is HUGE for this series so I could see why they wouldnt want to change the controls that much, but we are also talking about a control scheme that was formed nearly 20 years ago, and im sure at least some aspects could use an update. I trust Yu and the team to find the right balance and hopefully it ends up being a little bit of both, maybe keep d-pad functionality or at least have it optional, or have a modern control design and nostalgia/retro control design that you can switch between? That option would definitely be cool and allow players to chose which they prefer.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby JaySw34 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:56 pm

I wouldn't mind if they kept the controls basically the same for SIII. Especially for free battles. Using the dpad makes the input commands much easier. Using an analogue stick for move commands would be a problem. One thing I hope they fix is the camera. It was known to go crazy at times in the old Shenmue games.
JaySw34
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: JaySw34
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby ash55 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:10 pm

I think the third person controls for Destiny while at the tower are some of the most fluid and intuitive I've seen, but they still give a sense of presence and weight that I think Shenmue needs. I think Ryo would need to walk slower though, and the camera would need to be slower and more deliberate.

I'd go with this... https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5333907/s3controllerlayout.jpg (I made a quick graphic to better convey the scheme)

The D-Pad would have the same input as the Left Stick. For QTE's and Fighting too.

Custom Options:
Swap Left and Right Triggers around.
Swap L2 and R2 with L1 and R1.
Swap Left and Right Analogue Sticks around.

Someone mentioned using motion controls. I don't see the point... You'd need the PS camera which not everyone has, and it seems more of a gimmick. Maybe if they add a little mode to view the world in VR, then motion controls may have some practical use, since the controller would be an extention of your hands while immersed in VR.
Last edited by ash55 on Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ash55

PSN: TFMash55
XBL: ash55
Steam: ash55
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Kobe » Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:16 pm

You guys are asking for too much. Analogue for QTE? get that shit out of your brain bro, honest to god they could completely fuck up the control scheme of this game if they end up ditching Dpad for the free battles (fighting moves) and QTE. Change them and then Shenmue will never be the same.
Kobe
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby zach » Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:23 pm

I remember that I failed the QTE's many times because of the D-pad of Dreamcast Controller. I think the PS4 controller is better suited for the QTE's.

I just hope Shenmue 3 will not be too similar to RDR/GTA and Bethesda games. I'd rather have Ryo open a paper map and the player looks over the shoulder of Ryo.
zach
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Currently playing: Yakuza 4, Cave Story

Postby Himuro » Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:25 pm

Kobe wrote:

Hah! my arse, D-pad FTW!

They're trash. In 1? They're trash. I mean, it took me at least two days to adjust to the controls. They're manageable and you get used to them, but wanting that control scheme in 2017? WHY other than nostalgia?
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Next

Return to Shenmue III