KS Update #36: New Trailer & NPC Reward Added

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: KS Update #36: New Trailer & NPC Reward Added

Postby Mystere » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:36 pm

Phong wrote:If anyone else would like to say that dandelion seeds doing what dandelion seeds do naturally by floating on air currents is "clearly supernatural" and "obviously Shenhua's ki" I'll nod politely toward you as well.

OK, so you choose to interpret it that way. Dandelions floating as dandelions do.

Don't fireflies do exactly the same thing? Y'know... fly? :-k

Can't you choose to misinterpret that one as well?

Just saying.
Mystere
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby shredingskin » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:39 pm

My guess if that they swapped the sparks particles that UE4 has and made them look like fireflies.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:39 pm

Yes, Shenhua is the Phoenix. Deal with it.

killthesagabeforeitkillsu has received a thanks from: Himuro
killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Tomato Convenience Store » Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:22 pm

I'm going to be paraphrasing because I won't be able to look for video footage of this, but I remember if you get through the conversations with Shenhua after the dandelion scene, Ryo says something along the lines of "when I used to play with the dandelions, I would pick them up and blow on them". Then Shenhua was like "what do you mean? Why do you need to do that?", implying that she did just will the dandelions to fly.

And I think Ryo's WTF reaction during the scene itself is a bit of a giveaway as well.

EDIT: Found the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMkz3asRQpQ&t=3m42s

Tomato Convenience Store has received a thanks from: Himuro
Tomato Convenience Store
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: PuzzleQuest II

Postby Phong » Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:45 pm

Mystere wrote:
Phong wrote:If anyone else would like to say that dandelion seeds doing what dandelion seeds do naturally by floating on air currents is "clearly supernatural" and "obviously Shenhua's ki" I'll nod politely toward you as well.

OK, so you choose to interpret it that way. Dandelions floating as dandelions do.

Don't fireflies do exactly the same thing? Y'know... fly? :-k

Can't you choose to misinterpret that one as well?

Just saying.

"Choose to misinterpret?"

Well you asked very sincerely, didn't you?
Phong
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Himuro » Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:45 pm

Tomato Convenience Store wrote: I'm going to be paraphrasing because I won't be able to look for video footage of this, but I remember if you get through the conversations with Shenhua after the dandelion scene, Ryo says something along the lines of "when I used to play with the dandelions, I would pick them up and blow on them". Then Shenhua was like "what do you mean? Why do you need to do that?", implying that she did just will the dandelions to fly.

And I think Ryo's WTF reaction during the scene itself is a bit of a giveaway as well.

Seriously. This stuff is in the game, Phong. You just chose to ignore it.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Phong » Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:50 pm

Tomato Convenience Store wrote: I'm going to be paraphrasing because I won't be able to look for video footage of this, but I remember if you get through the conversations with Shenhua after the dandelion scene, Ryo says something along the lines of "when I used to play with the dandelions, I would pick them up and blow on them". Then Shenhua was like "what do you mean? Why do you need to do that?", implying that she did just will the dandelions to fly.

I sincerely don't remember that scene (it has been over ten years) but if I saw it at the time I might have shrugged it off as a superstitious young girl from the country.

Please understand that I don't put the words "obviously" and "supernatural" together especially in a game that advertises its realism as strongly as Shenmue does.

I mean we've already had several interviews so far from the Shenmue 3 team talking about Yu Suzuki's commitment to realism and nothing about magic or fantasy, so, you know…

Sorry.
Phong

Postby Lan Di-sama » Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:59 pm

Phong is a well-respected member and has been around here awhile. Combine that with his pledge amount in the thousands, and I say he's allowed to feel any way he wants about the teaser.

However, I do think it's nuts to imply that the trailer was more similar to Shenmue Online - a canned non-canon MMO - than Shenmue II, which contains two scenes that have more or less converged into this one (the Lightning bugs and the dandelions).

Also...there's no rational argument in support of the dandelions blowing because of the wind - clearly this was the first subtle way to introduce us to shenhua's power. You did see the end of the game where she forces the sword into the pedestal without actually touching it, correct?

If you're uncomfortable with what this teaser implies, save yourself a few thousand bucks. Its been implied for 14 years
Lan Di-sama
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby mjq jazz bar » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:34 pm

I don't mean bully you into feeling the same way about Shenmue 3 as I do. I understand there will always be legitimate concerns about the game and the way the Kickstarter was run. I've certainly complained a bit the month I've been here. But I think I owe Yu Suzuki and associates the benefit of the doubt.

The two games they released nearly two decades ago had an extremely profound effect on me. They came out when I lost interest in nearly all video games. It didn't matter; I was hooked. They were life-changing games that I couldn't stop thinking about. Shenmue 2 remains the only video game that made me get somewhat misty eyed when I completed it. I don't know how a game with goofy graphics and characters like Cool Z managed to do it, but it did.

Honestly, I'm even less interested in games now, but I have spent time and a rather large amount of money on making sure I can do anything possible to make Shenmue 3 a reality. There's something "magical" about the series, warts and all, that has led so many of us to hold on to the hope that Shenmue 3 would someday exist. I can't think of many other types of media that have inspired this kind of devotion.

Anyway, I hope you can open your mind and heart and give Yu Suzuki the benefit of the doubt. He has had this series mapped out for decades and I have faith he will deliver the game we have all waited for.
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby DOS » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:57 pm

Phong - if you don't want to give money to yu, then give it to me!

:mnky:
DOS
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Currently playing: Shenmue 3 trailer

Postby joka » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:45 pm

So that dandelion scene is optional I believe and depends which route you take with Shenhua.... Which would explain why Phong might not have scene it.

However that scene and other elements on disc 4/Guilin (as well as project berkley) imply that at least Shenhua has some powers/Ki.
This new trailer also hints to a lesser degree.

None of them are on the level of the Shenmue Online trailer which showed way more out there powers which were going to be part of the gameplay and shouldn't really be considered in relation to Shenmue 3.

There's a whole topic about powers, magic on the dojo which would be a better place to discuss that further surely? (I appreciate I've just commented on it here though :-/ ).

Anyway... Pledged amount did well- might be unrelated to the video and just because there's not long left but didn't seem to have had a negative impact.
joka
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: C_U_NexTime
Currently playing: Phantom Pain

Postby mrandyk » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:21 pm

Anyone displeased by the supernatural themes being introduced has not paid attention to the series. Project Berkeley even shows Shenhua with powers that are not natural, the mirrors have a mystical aura about them the entire series, and the ending of Shenmue II tells you flat out that mystical things are afoot. Is everyone going to start shooting off Hadoukens? I hope not. But supernatural themes have been planned since the beginning.
mrandyk
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby mjq jazz bar » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:51 pm

Shenmue 3 ‏@Shenmue_3 18m18 minutes ago
$5.0M Stretch Goal topped! Portuguese gamers, show your love! On deck: Advanced Free Battle. Hit it out of the park!
---

Well, they're awake. Doesn't seem like that midpoint stretch goal is going to exist, though.
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby mrandyk » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:22 pm

mjq jazz bar wrote: Shenmue 3 ‏@Shenmue_3 18m18 minutes ago
$5.0M Stretch Goal topped! Portuguese gamers, show your love! On deck: Advanced Free Battle. Hit it out of the park!
---

Well, they're awake. Doesn't seem like that midpoint stretch goal is going to exist, though.

Don't lose hope yet, they put out an update around this time last night.
mrandyk
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby shredingskin » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:23 pm

did the KS dropped another 10k ?
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

PreviousNext