KS Update #36: New Trailer & NPC Reward Added

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: KS Update #36: New Trailer & NPC Reward Added

Postby Ryo Fhan » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:00 am

You could also opt to for a lot of smaller awards and put the kid's name's and things in the game. Not sure how many kids you have, or how you could do it fairly though. Some won't like it, some will be happy to do it.

I was wondering, someone already took the npc away. Your brother has to make the change himself, since there is only 1 spot taken so far?
Ryo Fhan
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby wdrpgwd » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:06 am

Ryo Fhan wrote: You could also opt to for a lot of smaller awards and put the kid's name's and things in the game. Not sure how many kids you have, or how you could do it fairly though. Some won't like it, some will be happy to do it.

I was wondering, someone already took the npc away. Your brother has to make the change himself, since there is only 1 spot taken so far?

We actually discussed this and then we learned that you can only do 1 pledge per account and the thought of creating that many accounts and like you said, deciding who was in and who wasn't sounded like a headache and potential problem.

I think Dinner with Yu, where we can talk about the school and thank him for the inspiration, NPC of our favorite assistant, and a vendor with our School's name on it, makes the most sense. Not counting the extra rewards that are included with those.
wdrpgwd
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Capsule Toys Maniac » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:07 am

The video. Hate to say this but that was a bit... underwhelming. I mean, I appreciate the work they put in to make this new trailer and it's very interesting. But for people not sure whether to pledge or not, it's probably not very convincing. I guess It's something they made since we fans had concerns about the Kickstarter video. It really shows that it was made quickly. For example: the music is missing the first one or two notes in the beginning, the animation of Ryo's head feels a bit unnatural (but the animation when he looks at Shenhua is pretty nice), and at 0:28 it feels unnatural when the camera stops panning. That together with the unfinished models.

Of course I'm not expecting a masterpiece! These things are to be expected. The development basically hasn't even started, and it was very rushed. But to promote the Kickstarter and get non-superfans hyped... I don't think this was the right thing. It just looks unprofessional. Just like the new project image with the "Last 2 days" in... eh.. pink, and crazy typography like some high school project. I just wish it was handled better.

Well... that was enough negativity for today. Now I'll be going back to be ecstatic that Shenmue III is happening and the Kickstarter is going into hyper mode! :D
Capsule Toys Maniac
Master of the Three Blades

Postby wdrpgwd » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:11 am

It looks like someone took the 10K NPC that we backed out of. That was quick. We just got the 6K NPC 30 mintues ago. It's late and I need to go to bed but we will get the vendor in the morning so that will push it back up $4500.
wdrpgwd
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Tsubasa » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:39 am

mrandyk wrote:
Amir wrote: These two Kickstarter trailers make me think it'll recap the last parts of Shenmue II before the stone pit.

I wouldn't put much stock into these videos in regards to where gameplay will begin. This game isn't even in development yet but YS wants to get videos out to us and it is way easier to rebuild Shenmue 2 scenes than create entirely new scenes from Shenmue 3, not to mention the possibility of spoilers.

That's exactly what I think. =D>
Tsubasa
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Ryo Fhan » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:48 am

wdrpgwd wrote:
Ryo Fhan wrote: You could also opt to for a lot of smaller awards and put the kid's name's and things in the game. Not sure how many kids you have, or how you could do it fairly though. Some won't like it, some will be happy to do it.

We actually discussed this and then we learned that you can only do 1 pledge per account and the thought of creating that many accounts and like you said, deciding who was in and who wasn't sounded like a headache and potential problem.

I think Dinner with Yu, where we can talk about the school and thank him for the inspiration, NPC of our favorite assistant, and a vendor with our School's name on it, makes the most sense. Not counting the extra rewards that are included with those.

Yeah, that's about what I was thinking to an extent. Im also teaching in china and had thought of ding what you are doing before I heard about your school but I don't have the money so survive on working for free. So, I may never end up doing it.
Ryo Fhan
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Phong » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:58 am

I'm sorry but this looks very, very bad. It's not just the aesthetics that look bad or the animation or Ryo's weird face or anything that could be refined later, it's just plain cheesy. The firefly scene wasn't anything like that in Shenmue II.

I feel kinda sick.

Like, maybe I don't want my name to appear in this game.

Phong has received a thanks from: punkmanced
Phong

Postby Ryo Fhan » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:15 am

Phong wrote: I'm sorry but this looks very, very bad. It's not just the aesthetics that look bad or the animation or Ryo's weird face or anything that could be refined later, it's just plain cheesy. The firefly scene wasn't anything like that in Shenmue II.

I feel kinda sick.

well this is basically something they made for the KS, the game isn't really in development at all. at least I hope they do'nt keep that style, texture work etc

Good textures would go a long way

Ryo Fhan has received a thanks from: punkmanced
Ryo Fhan
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby TwiceFriedRice » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:22 am

Phong wrote: I'm sorry but this looks very, very bad. It's not just the aesthetics that look bad or the animation or Ryo's weird face or anything that could be refined later, it's just plain cheesy. The firefly scene wasn't anything like that in Shenmue II.

I feel kinda sick.

Overreact much?

TwiceFriedRice has received a thanks from: Supa
TwiceFriedRice
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Nintendo FC: Skillgore31
Steam: SkillgoreK

Postby Phong » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:26 am

Compare that scene to the original.

phpBB [video]

Better textures or animation are not exactly going to change the "oh look shiny glowy things!" tenor of that scene and its departure from the original, which was "be careful or you'll get bit."

That was an interesting scene for me and now they're screwing with it to say "look shiny kickstarter!"

That's just cheap, guys. Cheesy. Cheap.
Phong

Postby Phong » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:31 am

Also, "it's getting dark out, we should go,"

not

*spreads arms out look at me I'm a magical girl in a magical place oh the shiny glowy things I can show you*
Phong

Postby Mystere » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:31 am

Phong wrote:Compare that scene to the original.

phpBB [video]

Better textures or animation are not exactly going to change the "oh look shiny glowy things!" tenor of that scene and its departure from the original, which was "be careful or you'll get bit."

That was an interesting scene for me and now they're screwing with it to say "look shiny kickstarter!"

That's just cheap, guys. Cheesy. Cheap.

Come on, man. You're comparing something from a completed game, to a pre-development tech demo rushed out to please the fans.

This is the rushiest of rush jobs, and is probably what Cedric was referring to at the weekend when he said they were "working on something", but he wasn't sure they could do it. It's a 30-second tech demo for a game that hasn't been funded yet. Give 'em a chance.
Mystere
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Himuro » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:32 am

I think the scene looks fantastic!
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Yokosuka » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:33 am

I'm sure most of the people are smart enough to take it naturally as a potential rather as an illustration. The video is really beautiful with some artistic sense and a new music, you can easily feel a certain singularity behind and that's what newcomers could look for. I can't say anything bad, especially about an early prototype like this.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Tomato Convenience Store » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:35 am

I liked it! I don't care that it's a bit dramatic - I thought that fits better in a 30 second clip that just a casual stroll through the forest. The lighting, colors, and environments look pretty great. I think it's safe to say the final game will look awesome.

I know people want a trailer that gives some more info on Shenmue I and II, but honestly, I think more newcomers would be interested in seeing what the current game has to offer rather than knowing that the games that came out 15 years ago where ahead of their time. The teaser trailer gets the point across - this will be a story revolving around two characters, one seems to have some sort of magical powers or is deeply in tune with nature, and the environments will look beautiful.

Also, zoom in on some 16-year old butt. Why not.
Tomato Convenience Store
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: PuzzleQuest II

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III