Returning characters for Shenmue 3?

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Returning characters for Shenmue 3?

Postby shredingskin » Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:35 pm

I know we'll see more of Xiuying but she's but I hope it's in the future, She was in hong kong, kowloon, if the appears in guiling she's a stalker.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Yokosuka » Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:39 pm

From Shenmue Master :
Few times after the Shenmue II release, AM2 stated Shenmue III will have at least 6 new characters. It's of course wide but not as important as the 10 new main and secondary characters of Shenmue II (Xiuying, Ren, Joy, Wong, Fangmei, Dou Niu, Yuan, Yuanda Zhu, Baihu and Shenhua).
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Himuro » Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:47 pm

Yokosuka wrote: From Shenmue Master :
It's of course wide but not as important as the 10 new main and secondary characters of Shenmue II (Xiuying, Ren, Joy, Wong, Fangmei, Dou Niu, Yuan, Yuanda Zhu, Baihu and Shenhua)

Is this sentence him assuming and reading too much from what AM2 said? Because a lot of fans do that. Yu will say one thing, they think it's another thing. Yu says a character will be returning, fans read that and think,"OMG GUIZHANG CONFIRMED!!!!" when Yu never said nor hinted at that.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Himuro » Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:50 pm

Henry Spencer wrote:
Eh. Chai's going to just be another challenging opponent for Ryo to face. It's not like he's replacing Niao Sun, or anything like that. Niao Sun and one of the other four leaders of the Chi You Men will probably make up the villains in Shenmue 3. Like I've said before, I even doubt our final encounter with Lan Di will take place in this game. Shenmue 1 and 2 both had plenty of villains/antagonists for Ryo to face and 3 will probably be packed with them too. If Chai's return was in a flashback and we get to finally play the Boat chapter and fight against Chai in that removed chapter that only appeared in the manga in the Xbox port, that would be so cool.

Chai? Challenging? I guess, but it felt like fighting him twice in the same game was enough.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby munchmunch » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:27 pm

Guizhang, Xiuying, Ren and Yuanda Zhu. That's it I think. Don't want a lot of returning characters as this will be a new location.
munchmunch
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Shenhua-Nani? » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:40 pm

Henry Spencer wrote:
Eh. Chai's going to just be another challenging opponent for Ryo to face. It's not like he's replacing Niao Sun, or anything like that. Niao Sun and one of the other four leaders of the Chi You Men will probably make up the villains in Shenmue 3. Like I've said before, I even doubt our final encounter with Lan Di will take place in this game. Shenmue 1 and 2 both had plenty of villains/antagonists for Ryo to face and 3 will probably be packed with them too. If Chai's return was in a flashback and we get to finally play the Boat chapter and fight against Chai in that removed chapter that only appeared in the manga in the Xbox port, that would be so cool.

Hyo Razuki wrote: That was the Project Berkley trailer if my memory serves me right. Don't know if I would bank too much on that one. The story could have changed from what it was like for Project Berkley.

But Xiuying shows up standing next to Shenhua in this artwork from Suzuki's GDC talk about all of the chapters and how they are planned out:

Suzuki actually stated that the chapters are all planned out and I can see him changing little things about the story now, but I doubt he'd take the likes of Xiuying out of the equation. Her brother is going to show up that much is obvious enough, she will too.

Man that image makes me hyped as hell, can't wait to see Ryo become a BEAST.
Shenhua-Nani?
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby JaySw34 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:50 pm

I'm sure we'll see Ren again. It'd be awesome if he and Ryo teamed up to infiltrate the Chi You Men HQ. It would be reminiscent of the two of them storming the Yellow Head building to save Zhu Yuan Da.

Now I think what would really be cool, and it's been discussed before on this board, is if Gui Zhang was thrown into the mix. Obviously the Chi You Men are a lot more dangerous than the Yellow Heads. Imagine Ryo, Gui Zhang and Ren working together to take down the organization. It would be a very interesting dynamic because I'm sure Gui Zhang and Ren would constantly be at odds and rub each other the wrong way. It would be cool to see Ryo trying to keep the peace. Keep them focused on the task at hand and not let them bicker too much.
JaySw34
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: JaySw34
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby FRASIER v3 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:43 pm

Tom
FRASIER v3
Asia Travel Representative

Postby TwiceFriedRice » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:07 pm

Shenhua-Nani? wrote:
Henry Spencer wrote:

Hyo Razuki wrote: That was the Project Berkley trailer if my memory serves me right. Don't know if I would bank too much on that one. The story could have changed from what it was like for Project Berkley.

But Xiuying shows up standing next to Shenhua in this artwork from Suzuki's GDC talk about all of the chapters and how they are planned out:

Suzuki actually stated that the chapters are all planned out and I can see him changing little things about the story now, but I doubt he'd take the likes of Xiuying out of the equation. Her brother is going to show up that much is obvious enough, she will too.

Interesting that Ren is front and center of 2 and 3, but doesn't seem to be show in the subsequent ones at all. Unless he is one of those characters, and just ditched the bandana.
TwiceFriedRice
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Nintendo FC: Skillgore31
Steam: SkillgoreK

Postby Yokosuka » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:24 pm

Shenhua-Nani? wrote:

It's something that concerns me from a storytelling point of view. How can a teenager become a beast in such short time as we know that the overall story will cover only couples of years ?
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Abz » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:27 am

JaySw34 wrote: I'm sure we'll see Ren again. It'd be awesome if he and Ryo teamed up to infiltrate the Chi You Men HQ. It would be reminiscent of the two of them storming the Yellow Head building to save Zhu Yuan Da.

Now I think what would really be cool, and it's been discussed before on this board, is if Gui Zhang was thrown into the mix. Obviously the Chi You Men are a lot more dangerous than the Yellow Heads. Imagine Ryo, Gui Zhang and Ren working together to take down the organization. It would be a very interesting dynamic because I'm sure Gui Zhang and Ren would constantly be at odds and rub each other the wrong way. It would be cool to see Ryo trying to keep the peace. Keep them focused on the task at hand and not let them bicker too much.

You've read my mind. This is what I also envisioned if Gui Zhang was to return. One of many reasons why I would love to see Gui Zhang to return for Shenmue 3. It would be an interesting mix throwinf Gui Zhang in there with other characters from Shenmue 2. Although it is does seem apparent for Ryo to meet more new characters as his journey continues forth.
Abz

PSN: solja_g-123
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Shenmue 2

Postby shenmue852 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:45 am

Henry Spencer wrote:

Holy shit i never saw this! I'm frankly astonished by how much VFRPG follows the same plot as Shenmue in the first few chapters at least. Had they switched Akira to Ryo by that point?

Furthermore, things aren't looking good for Ren, it seems he only appears in one more chapter after the Kowloon one.

Who do you guys think Ryo is carrying in the second last card?

Also, it's unclear is Guizhang ever appears after chapter 1 based off that.
shenmue852
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby shenmue852 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:48 am

Yokosuka wrote:
Shenhua-Nani? wrote:

It's something that concerns me from a storytelling point of view. How can a teenager become a beast in such short time as we know that the overall story will cover only couples of years ?

If you trained 24/7 at the most accomplished intensive martial arts program, and grew up training intensively and were already reasonably accomplished, it's not exactly impossible to break through normal limits of skill and building up physically, particularly with the level of determination and personal investment Ryo has.

And also cause, you know, lvl up xp.
shenmue852
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby shenmue852 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:52 am

Abz wrote:
JaySw34 wrote: I'm sure we'll see Ren again. It'd be awesome if he and Ryo teamed up to infiltrate the Chi You Men HQ. It would be reminiscent of the two of them storming the Yellow Head building to save Zhu Yuan Da.

You've read my mind. This is what I also envisioned if Gui Zhang was to return. One of many reasons why I would love to see Gui Zhang to return for Shenmue 3. It would be an interesting mix throwinf Gui Zhang in there with other characters from Shenmue 2. Although it is does seem apparent for Ryo to meet more new characters as his journey continues forth.

there is no obvious role for Gui Zhang to play if Ren is in Shenmue III (and it's confirmed he is, and imo has been since Shenmue II came out judging from some of the extra concept art on the disc)

I have a feeling Ren won't be in Shenmue IV though. Notice that he doesn't appear on any cards after the one corresponding to Shenmue III in the chapter layout. It also makes it easier to bring Gui Zhang back later without overcrowding the player's party and turning it into Final Fantasy with 4 people on your team at all times.
shenmue852
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby TwiceFriedRice » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:35 am

Anyone think Ren might die?
TwiceFriedRice
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Nintendo FC: Skillgore31
Steam: SkillgoreK

PreviousNext