Shenmue 3 In UK Games Magazines

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Shenmue 3 In UK Games Magazines

Postby Supa » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:27 pm

Thanks for posting these! It's going to be a rough time to be a Shenmue collector. :)
Supa
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Yokosuka » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:25 pm

Gamesmaster, oh great a new media to hate [-o<
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Yokosuka » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:45 pm

Himuro wrote: I'm not european, so can explain why Shenmue is so popular there? I'm really curious. It sounds really awesome.

USA don't like Shenmue ?
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Anonymous81 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:21 pm

Awesome scans.

Saying we're being exploited by nostalgia is like saying if I donate to charity I'm being exploited by empathy. As if my nostalgia isn't sufficient reason for me to do or want a thing. I'll decide that for myself, thank-you very much gaming media. And that's what Kickstarter is: charity for creative endeavors. I have absolutely zero ethical qualms with that reality.
Anonymous81
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Witcher 3

Postby Sailors? » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:40 pm

Darn it, seems like I picked up a copy of Games TM too early as lasts months had diddly squat on Shenmue so I had a little rant on 500k. I'll be picking up a copy of the new edition shortly so thanks for that. Shame about the GamesMaster coverage as I used to love that magazine in my teens back when Sir Patrick Moore was still a small part of it... good times.

How about Edge magazine, are they still going? They always used to have nothing but love for Shenmue.
Sailors?
Still searching...
"After Burner...Great!"

XBL: HuntaOfTheNight

Postby Three Blades » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:47 pm

Purchasing a videogame = being exploited.
Three Blades
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Himuro » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:11 pm

Forgot to say awesome scans! Looking forward to reading them later!

Yokosuka wrote:
Himuro wrote: I'm not european, so can explain why Shenmue is so popular there? I'm really curious. It sounds really awesome.

USA don't like Shenmue ?

Not as much as Europe it seems. It feels like most of the posters here are located in Europe, notably the UK/Scotland/Ireland region.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby amiga1200 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:15 pm

^^ yeah, my most sincere apologies for the invasion. :mrgreen:
good to see shenmue get the love it deserves, not that i've been buying mags. (the net is another way to keep up...)
amiga1200
Banned
Banned

Location: Third space 3Avatar class heavy battleship, Damocles
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: with gravimetric drives

Postby Anonymous81 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:08 am

I think it really helped Shenmue's popularity in Europe that the sequel came out on Dreamcast. While that may seem counterintuitive to some because of how poorly Dreamcast sold, I think it makes a great case for why a single unified market is better for software attach rate than a segmented market sometimes. Think of it this way: the vast majority of Dreamcast owners probably played or knew about Shenmue. So when Shenmue 2 came out, a lot of them played it since they already had familiarity and already had the hardware to run it.

Whereas in the U.S., only a certain percentage of Dreamcast owners bought the original Xbox. So only a small number of them - relatively speaking - probably got to play Shenmue 2. Which really, really hurt its sales in my opinion.

The result? Bigger consolidated European following for the Shenmue saga, smaller (but still probably its second largest market since Shenmue doesn't seem to have really caught on in Japan) following in North America, despite there still being a lot of hardcore fans of it.
Anonymous81
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Witcher 3

Postby drunkensailor » Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:58 am

Himuro wrote: Forgot to say awesome scans! Looking forward to reading them later!

Yokosuka wrote:

USA don't like Shenmue ?

Not as much as Europe it seems. It feels like most of the posters here are located in Europe, notably the UK/Scotland/Ireland region.

I think you are right. for instance shenmue 2 in europe on a dead system still sold nearly 500k( alot of imports too I think) which is a lot more than shenmue 2 on xbox ever sold on a not dead system. yakuza also sells beter in europe than in usa. I think there are 2 reasons. most of all europe has a very adult gaming history, games like mario and other "kiddy" games never were very popular here. europe is where sandbox rpg's, point and click adventure games, strategy games and big simulation games came from and were incredibly popular. european gaming taste is therefore much more diverse I dare say.

add to that the fact that in most of europe, sega has always been way more popular than anything else until sony came around(especially in uk, spain, portugal, italy) and you may have your answer.

drunkensailor has received a thanks from: Himuro
drunkensailor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: gjb1985

Postby Monkei » Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:06 am

James Brown wrote:
TwiceFriedRice wrote: Does that 2nd article seriously say Ryo is trying to penetrate the underbelly of Iwao?

Haha I believe it does...I didn't really understand that particular sentance when I read it myself o0

"Iwao (the company that had a hand in his father's murder" - how can you fuck up this badly while doing your research? :|

Monkei has received a thanks from: James Brown
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:55 am

Picked up all of these today, except for GamesMaster obviously.

Also had a quick look through the other magazines on the shelf. Surprisingly the only mention I could find in Edge was a quote from Yoshida during a broader interview. PC Gamer completely snubbed it, even leaving it out of their E3 round-up section. That takes a special kind of misplaced stubbornness. They should be tripping over themselves to tell you that something with so much hype and passion behind it is coming to their platform, especially when so much of the press about the game revolves around Sony.

Let's Get Sweaty has received a thanks from: James Brown
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:10 am

America was Nintendo's turf while the Megadrive/SEGA gained a huge following in europe. So it's predictable that most game journos in usa have no idea what the likes of Shenmue, Jet Set Radio, Skies of Arcadia, Panzer Dragoon, etc are.
killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby joka » Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:31 am

killthesagabeforeitkillsu wrote:America was Nintendo's turf while the Megadrive/SEGA gained a huge following in europe. So it's predictable that most game journos in usa have no idea what the likes of Shenmue, Jet Set Radio, Skies of Arcadia, Panzer Dragoon, etc are.

It's definitely true that Europe was a much stronger territory for Sega than America during Sega vs Nintendo console era but the Mega CD, Saturn and Dreamcast underperformed globally.

Regardless there's no excuse for a games journalist not even knowing the examples youve mentioned.
joka
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: C_U_NexTime
Currently playing: Phantom Pain

Postby Marzy » Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:30 am

Doesn't feel real still, just feels like a dream seeing all these magazine scans.

Just amazing!
Marzy
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Currently playing: Grow Home

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III