What do you expect to be disappointing ?

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

What do you expect to be disappointing ?

Postby Yokosuka » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:53 pm

Which aspect(s) from the game do you think to be lower than your expectations ?

The gameplay ? the story ? the free battle ? the overrall shenmue feeling ?
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Re: What do you expect to be disappointing ?

Postby Gavan » Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:06 pm

The only thing I am a bit nervous about is the size of the world. I hope Yu Suzuki has enough money to make it at least the size of Shenmue 1. A really small world would be disappointing to me.
Gavan
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Currently playing: Sonic Mania Plus

Postby kuwakodono » Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:11 pm

A couple of things:

- After Hong Kong and Kowloon, not sure how I am going to react to the smaller physical scope of the game.
- Also not sure why
Chai
is supposedly coming back.
- Hoping that there won't be too much magical stuff.
- Hope the game story progresses a bit more than "chase Lan Di to X city".
- Hope the game has the same amount of polish on the smaller budget.
kuwakodono
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Postby Zoltor » Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:37 pm

Yokosuka wrote: Which aspect(s) from the game do you think to be lower than your expectations ?

The gameplay ? the story ? the free battle ? the overrall shenmue feeling ?

If AJ understood damn English, so thet could proplerly ask Yu the questions we were asking, and if the damn Paypal option would be added, I wouldn't really be worried at all.

However as is, while I'm positive whatever you puts in the game will be awesome, I'm scared the game wont be very big ingeneral(this is all god damn AJ's fault nomatter what angle you look at it sigh).

Yu was asked back when the KS was at like 3.5m, how big of a game could we expect at current KS funding levels, Yu said he could make a area as big as Dobuita. Not very big, but this was very early in the KS, so np, but Yu was "supposedly" (this is where you just know AJ screwed up something) asked this same question in a later interview, when the KS was at like 5m(very big dear, infact Yu himself has been pointing out over, and over again what a big benchmark that 5m is), where according to the translator, again states at current KS funding, the area would be about the size of Dobuita.

Well both can't be true(infact that Infiltration quest, is suppose to be a real major event by its self), and we're just left without anyway to even attempt to figure out what the scale of the game might be. Infact there were times in the interviews, where Yu was literally outright confused at the questions that AJ's donkey translations, were trying to ask.

Well anyway yea sigh, I'm worried that it will be a exceeding smaller game, then Shenmue 2.

I'm actually not worried about the implementations of the core systems, as I'm positive stuff like that, if Yu is putting it in the game, he's going to execute perfectly.
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Sonoshee » Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:47 pm

Gavan wrote: The only thing I am a bit nervous about is the size of the world. I hope Yu Suzuki has enough money to make it at least the size of Shenmue 1. A really small world would be disappointing to me.

This, really.
I'd be happy with each village being separately as big as Dobuita, but nothing less.
After 14 years of waiting, I want enough to explore.
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby nskachu » Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:56 pm

I trust in Yu's skills. To be honest, it is awesome to have Shenmue 3 now after all these years. In this regard, pessimism is wrong imo
nskachu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: with feelings

Postby rigo8582 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:14 pm

I think the voice acting will be bad for english. I'm not sure if Yu will let someone redo the script for english so it sounds more natural. Granted die hard fans like myself are ok with the cheesy dialogue, but the reality is that this game has to be appealing to non fans and new comers to be successful.
rigo8582
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PSN: qbanb8582
XBL: rigo8582
Steam: rigo8582
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby Kiske » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:48 am

I'm not worried about the game size per se.
After all, Shenmue wasn't that big but still had a lot to propose, people to interact with, etc...

What I'm worried about is that for budget or time matters, the whole experienced could be "shrinked" to the main quest, main characters, etc...

Big part of my love for Shenmue is about the consistency there is in his world and NPC's and the feeling you get tofor beeing part of this world as everybody else in it.
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby Zoltor » Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:05 am

Kiske wrote: I'm not worried about the game size per se.
After all, Shenmue wasn't that big but still had a lot to propose, people to interact with, etc...

What I'm worried about is that for budget or time matters, the whole experienced could be "shrinked" to the main quest, main characters, etc...

Big part of my love for Shenmue is about the consistency there is in his world and NPC's and the feeling you get tofor beeing part of this world as everybody else in it.

I don't think that will be much of a problem in of its self, but at the end of the game, due to how interactive/realistic the Shenmue world is, all that is going to be properly scaled down, to fit how big of a game Yu is able to make, evenly so, so it really does come down to the size of the game(this Isn't POS Bethesda, and their crappy Elder scroll series we're talking about here, Yu would never design a game pooly like that, where there maybe a huge map, but It's virtually empty, no Yu Suzuki would never do something like that).

Look at the comparison with Shenmue 2, from Shenmue 1 for example, even if Yu actively wanted to make the NPCs in Shenmue 1, as Dynamic as the NPCs in Shenmue 2, it would be pretty damn close to impossible, and it sure as hell wouldn't feel natural, because the world/area of Shenmue 1, is not big enough to support the complexity of the NPCs(or even events in general in most cases), that Shenmue 2 had.
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby BlueMue » Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:16 am

Like the others here I'm concerned that the game's world will be rather small. The expectations could really only be too high after Shenmue II so it will be best to take III as it is then and not have II on your mind all the time.
Quality I'm not concerned about. Yu Suzuki and his team won't be slacking with anything.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Shibiryo » Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:20 am

Nothing
Shibiryo
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Shenmue 1&2

Postby Zoltor » Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:03 am

BlueMue wrote: Like the others here I'm concerned that the game's world will be rather small. The expectations could really only be too high after Shenmue II so it will be best to take III as it is then and not have II on your mind all the time.
Quality I'm not concerned about. Yu Suzuki and his team won't be slacking with anything.

Yea 2 is really such a perfect game, there are so many things I can point out, that would prove, that gave should not exist(frankly I think Yu found a magic lamp, rubbed it, and a genie came out saying I'll grant you wishes, in which case Yu told the genie, I want you to make a game with X, Y, and Z features in it, executed in this way, yet only somehow taking up this much space. Then the genie snaps his fingers, poof your wish is granted), yet somehow it does, so yea we should try not to think of Shenmue 2, when thinking of Shenmue 3, so I'm trying to keep my expectations a noticeable amount lower then that, so I don't overhype myself, but still It's rather hard to do.

Also yea I completely agree, quality is not something we need to be worrying about, with Yu behind the wheel, It's a non-issue, it shouldn't even be crossing people's mind at all.
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby murdiaries » Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:46 am

Graphics. It won't be as groundbreaking as it was SM1, but yeah as long as characters are well modeled / animated I'm hyped as ever.
murdiaries
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby SMDzero » Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:49 am

Yu Suzuki feared that if the world found out about Shenmue 3, they'd reject it.

He was CONVINCED that the world wasn't ready.

What do you think?

Last edited by SMDzero on Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:57 am, edited 3 times in total.
SMDzero
Banned
Banned

Postby Hyo Razuki » Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:52 am

The chances of any part of the game disappointing me are pretty low at the moment. Given the fact, that a lot of people from the original Shenmue team are on board, I don't have too many worries. Also they will use previously unused Shenmue music, like in this video.

phpBB [video]

That means at least the music will feel perfectly Shenmue. The biggest worry I have would be the character models not looking the way they should but keeping in mind they have more than 2 years left and the Ryo and Shenhua models have already been improved a lot during the Kickstarter campain, I'm not too worried about that issue as well.

No worries for me, dude! We're getting Shenmue 3. after 14 straight years of nothing. :)
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Next

Return to Shenmue III