Dreamcast console sales spike following Shenmue 3 reveal

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Dreamcast console sales spike following Shenmue 3 reveal

Postby Yokosuka » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:06 am

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/dreamcas ... al/0154989

Sales of pre-owned Dreamcast consoles have ‘gone through the roof’ since Shenmue III was announced at E3.

Indie retailers have told MCV that sales of Sega’s last console have skyrocketed since the LA-based trade show.

That’s in addition to software sales of the original two Shenmue games, as well as retro copies of Final Fantasy VII. A remake to the latter was also unveiled at E3.

We sold 20 Dreamcasts in the last week alone,” said Alex Bowness of Canterbury’s Level Up Games. “All of sudden, people are asking where they can play the original two Shenmue games. The announcement of Shenmue III really piqued everyone’s interest.

Reload Games Michael Wealleans added: “People are trying to get hold of the original copies of Shenmue and Final Fantasy VII, even if they don’t have the console to play it on. They just want it in their collection. But with that demand, the price has gone up.

David James-Turvey of Llanelli’s Retrobution adds that this renewed popularity is also driven by the fact that Sega is yet to launch HD Shenmue titles.

Sega has really lost out on a load of digital sales by not releasing HD versions, so naturally indies like myself are the only place that would satisfy that itch to get back into these titles,” he said.

I’ve had more customers hyped about Shenmue III than Call of Duty, and I am glad there are gamers out there like this, because it proves that gaming is not as disposable as other forms of entertainment. Indies should be confident in their physical stock.

Dreamcast sales have come from nowhere almost, what’s exciting now is that young gamers who perhaps didn’t even know what the Dreamcast was are interested in it.

Yokosuka has received 4 thanks from: Dragon St., DreamcastPast, Giorgio, Mr357
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Re: Dreamcast console sales spike following Shenmue 3 reveal

Postby Giorgio » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:11 am

This is extraordinaire! If SEGA-SAMMY doesn't feel stupid after this by not releasing Shenmue 1 & 2 HD, then their apathy is beyond belief.

Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza series

Postby johnvivant » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:21 am

sega says its got some bombs to drop on us at Tokyo games show. here's hoping!

its probably the new yakuza game, or new yakuza team IP. But Shen HD would be one hell of a megaton explosion. i really need a reason to start liking sega again. please win me back sega!
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

-

Postby danny » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:35 am

-
Last edited by danny on Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

danny has received a thanks from: Anthony817
danny
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby AnonBaiter » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:36 am

What I'll be expecting from a HD "remaster":
-Same graphics with updated textures/interface(unless they hire or at least use NoconKid)
-Polished programming/controls

Other than that, I'm still curious as to whether or not SEGA has made millions with pre-owned consoles. Whatever...
AnonBaiter
Banned
Banned

XBL: RacuousLeech01
Currently playing: Shenmue

Postby Zoltor » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:38 am

Giorgio wrote: This is extraordinaire! If SEGA-SAMMY doesn't feel stupid after this by not releasing Shenmue 1 & 2 HD, then their apathy is beyond belief.

Do I need to slap you sigh, this is SEGA we're talking about here, the Shenmue rereleases(even a digital only release would've been atleast something, but they aren't even willing to do that), is not the only no risk involved, passed up gold mine opportunity SEGA has passed up on in recent years(remember 7th Dragon, they didn't even have to do anything if they didn't want to, they could have just sold the publishing rights off to any of the 100s of publishers who wanted to bring it over, which even included Nintendo of all people, that's how desired that game was).

To OP: Yea that's not surprising, hell you can't even find the Pal release of Shenmue 1 anymore, and that's the 2nd most common Shenmue game there is(2nd the only the NA release of Shenmue 1). This is because, It's the only version non-Japanese can play, that will allow them to transfer the save files, like the series had originally intended the player to beable to do. The Pal version of Shenmue 2, which is actually rare, is only still obtainable because the prices have sky rocketed, and even though a new comer has no doubt heard the 2nd game is better, would rather naturally try the first game out beforehand, then dropping 130+ on a game belonging to a series, they have no idea if they are going to like or not.

However I must say, I'm so happy even new school era gamers are looking into Shenmue, and the Dreamcast as a whole(The Dreamcast is easily one of the best consoles ever made, and easily has the second best Quality vs crap ratio out of every console ever made, so It's a great console to own).
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Lan Di-sama » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:38 pm

Came here to share this news and Yokosuka beat me to the punch.

This is very real evidence that this announcement has made waves far beyond the Shenmue community and is really impacting gamers who never got a chance to play Shenmue the first time around.

Of course, the obvious thing to ask now is: Sega, what are you thinking? Re-release the games! Yet, part of me (somewhat selfishly) loves the fact that Shenmue I is a true console exclusive and I'm rather enjoying seeing curious potential new fans have to work a little bit to track down a copy of the game.
Lan Di-sama
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Zoltor » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:22 pm

Lan Di-sama wrote: Came here to share this news and Yokosuka beat me to the punch.

This is very real evidence that this announcement has made waves far beyond the Shenmue community and is really impacting gamers who never got a chance to play Shenmue the first time around.

"Of course, the obvious thing to ask now is: Sega, what are you thinking? Re-release the games! Yet", part of me (somewhat selfishly) loves the fact that Shenmue I is a true console exclusive and I'm rather enjoying seeing curious potential new fans have to work a little bit to track down a copy of the game.

Sadly SEGA Isn't even a company anymore, in any form, they are absolutely against making money, even if it involves a no brainer move, with no risk at all to them, they wont do it.

They release a big announcement admitting the have been sucking, and betrayed their consumers. They then go on to say, they are going to do better from now on, yet they "literally" haven't done or even announced that they're going to release anything, since then.

WTF Sega?
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Kintor » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:02 pm

Zoltor wrote:
Lan Di-sama wrote: Came here to share this news and Yokosuka beat me to the punch.

"Of course, the obvious thing to ask now is: Sega, what are you thinking? Re-release the games! Yet", part of me (somewhat selfishly) loves the fact that Shenmue I is a true console exclusive and I'm rather enjoying seeing curious potential new fans have to work a little bit to track down a copy of the game.

Sadly SEGA Isn't even a company anymore, in any form, they are absolutely against making money, even if it involves a no brainer move, with no risk at all to them, they wont do it.

They release a big announcement admitting the have been sucking, and betrayed their consumers. They then go on to say, they are going to do better from now on, yet they "literally" haven't done or even announced that they're going to release anything, since then.

Sega Sammy Holdings is one of the largest and most powerful corporations in the entire games industry, to say nothing of Sega's vast multimedia empire which makes every from children's toys to Pachinko gambling machines. So, while you may be frustrated at the current lack of Shenmue 1 and 2 HD don't allow that same frustration to blind you towards the full extent of Sega's resources. In fact, as I've said as much before, these past few years have seen a steady release of new Shenmue merchandise. Such as notably Ryo's appearance in S&ASRT as a DLC character plus a vinyl record version of the Shenmue soundtrack just this year, to name only two examples.

I think that there is every chance Sega will release HD versions of Shenmue 1 and 2, especially given all the support that Sega is currently showing towards the Shenmue franchise. After all, the current firestorm surrounding everything to do with Shenmue is a direct result of the Shenmue 3 Kickstarter, which was only made possible because Sega allowed the Shenmue licence to be used by Yu Suzuki now. Perhaps this will mean that Shenmue 1 and 2 HD could be Sega’s TGS 2015 suprise. Yet even if Shenmue 1 and 2 don’t make an appearance at TGS the games might still appear at some point in the future. It’s a long road to 2017 and Shenmue 3, plenty of time to release HD versions of the old games.

Regardless, I must say I’m pleased to see so many gamers showing a sudden interest in the Dreamcast. As a life-long Sega fan I consider the Dreamcast to be the last great video game console. I’m an avid collector of retro Sega games and hardware myself, everything from the Master System to the Dreamcast, I even have a working 32X. I’ve always sought to encourage more people to collect Sega games and hardware, not just for the classics but also for the more obscure games that always enriched the strength of Sega’s library. These newcomers sought out the Dreamcast to play Shenmue, this is good, I’d like them now to stay for all the rest.

Kintor has received 2 thanks from: Anthony817, DreamcastPast
Kintor
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby amiga1200 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:39 pm

it was bound to happen, but the bubble WILL bust.
only so many of those things about, not mentioning the gdi assemblies being the weak point.
and even if ode's were the standard, ongoing repairs over the years, like capacitor and fuse replacements.
won't do much for logic parts, like chips.
thank fuck where i live hasn't jumped on the hype...yet!
s3 is known about there, but it's faddist retard town, full of mongs that want the latest of the late, and up to date.
little room for (perceived) retro tech and games.
i get lucky knowing the right folks.
dreamcast games don't exist in these parts, the consoles go for twenty gbp average setup. (RF/CVBS cable, mains cable, official pad, one official vmu. box is optional, depends if the shop bought it as such.)
i'd be surprised to see dreamcast prices go up in the shops, not even gonna speculate on the web, it's full of bullshit and misdirections....and con artists.
if i tried to sell my dreamcast and it's collection in a public shop where i live, lucky if they'll even buy it.
never short of base units, and a LTD-EDIT machine is the same as any dreamcast afatc. :P
works out well as a buyer, not if a seller.
ony some retro tech they take the piss on, like psx, ps2, xbox etc.
dreamcast is considered as sub-par and not in any viable demand.
only two consoles in the shops at any one time, no more.
this timewarp/cultural black hole won't see those increases, and if they do, it'll just be a financial nail in their coffins, that's already nearly shut thanks to avarice, shortsightedness and exploitation.
the money is in too few hands, and few could even compete and keep up... :?: :cry:
[edit]
typo.
amiga1200
Banned
Banned

Location: Third space 3Avatar class heavy battleship, Damocles
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: with gravimetric drives

Postby Zoltor » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:58 pm

Kintor wrote:
Zoltor wrote:

Sega Sammy Holdings is one of the largest and most powerful corporations in the entire games industry, to say nothing of Sega's vast multimedia empire which makes every from children's toys to Pachinko gambling machines. So, while you may be frustrated at the current lack of Shenmue 1 and 2 HD don't allow that same frustration to blind you towards the full extent of Sega's resources. In fact, as I've said as much before, these past few years have seen a steady release of new Shenmue merchandise. Such as notably Ryo's appearance in S&ASRT as a DLC character plus a vinyl record version of the Shenmue soundtrack just this year, to name only two examples.

I think that there is every chance Sega will release HD versions of Shenmue 1 and 2, especially given all the support that Sega is currently showing towards the Shenmue franchise. After all, the current firestorm surrounding everything to do with Shenmue is a direct result of the Shenmue 3 Kickstarter, which was only made possible because Sega allowed the Shenmue licence to be used by Yu Suzuki now. Perhaps this will mean that Shenmue 1 and 2 HD could be Sega’s TGS 2015 suprise. Yet even if Shenmue 1 and 2 don’t make an appearance at TGS the games might still appear at some point in the future. It’s a long road to 2017 and Shenmue 3, plenty of time to release HD versions of the old games.

Regardless, I must say I’m pleased to see so many gamers showing a sudden interest in the Dreamcast. As a life-long Sega fan I consider the Dreamcast to be the last great video game console. I’m an avid collector of retro Sega games and hardware myself, everything from the Master System to the Dreamcast, I even have a working 32X. I’ve always sought to encourage more people to collect Sega games and hardware, not just for the classics but also for the more obscure games that always enriched the strength of Sega’s library. These newcomers sought out the Dreamcast to play Shenmue, this is good, I’d like them now to stay for all the rest.

It's not only about Shenmue 1, and 2 rerelease or lack there of I should say, but frankly in no way, shape or form, does Sega exist outside of Japan.

All this BS you're pointing out, "only" exists in Japan. Yea, like they allowed someone to bring over 7th Dragon too right, oh yea that's right, they went out of their way to make sure that game could never be released outside of Japan.

You give Sega too much credit, I think they felt they really owed Yu(which they do), and they're not going to do anything with it anyway, so they're like here. Don't get me wrong, I'm thankful to Sega for that, but don't think that's going to lead to anything else.

That's a possibility though, if Yu asks for the rights to publish ports of 1, & 2 on the new systems, he might be allowed to. However I have to imagine Yu has already asked them that, because frankly if new gamers had easy access to play the original games, a KS wouldn't have been needed in the first place.

You see, Shenmue 3 never actually existed, except for the story, which belongs to Yu anyway, so Sega doesn't really care at all, but what Sega does care about, is letting other companies publish their games, they don't allow it(they allowed ATLUS to do such once or twice before, before they owned ATLUS, but that is it)

Yea, I love the fact newer people are getting into the DC now, no other game(s) have ever cause such for a retro(well the DC is really only semi retro, but still) console before(and the DC, along with other older consoles get indie games all the time), this is so great :)
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby amiga1200 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:30 pm

^^ sega?
who are they? :rotflmao:
if anybody wanting a dreamcast with over a hundred retail games (complete) including shenmue 1 and 2 (complete) with many pads, vmu's and various ways to output video signals (RF, CVBS, s-video, Y.U.V./R.G.B./scart/peritel, and vga/dvi) and have an amiga1200 expansion card, nothing below 680060 (mcu 680060/80, 128m dimm, fpu) then hit me up in pm's and we can talk EVEN TRADE.
one amiga1200 expansion card, for ALL my dreamcast collection.
must be north west england, and i'm prepared to bring it to you under the condition i SEE the card working in an a1200 LIVE!
i have three of the computers, not a working expansion card.
i'm an older generation, more focused on recording and broadcasting studios and trackers.
gaming is just a distraction.
music and video IS my game time. :P
so, make a CBM man happy, and i'll make a dreamcast man worth his time. :mrgreen:
amiga1200
Banned
Banned

Postby Kintor » Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:28 am

Zoltor wrote: It's not only about Shenmue 1, and 2 rerelease or lack there of I should say, but frankly in no way, shape or form, does Sega exist outside of Japan.

All this BS you're pointing out, "only" exists in Japan. Yea, like they allowed someone to bring over 7th Dragon too right, oh yea that's right, they went out of their way to make sure that game could never be released outside of Japan.

You give Sega too much credit, I think they felt they really owed Yu(which they do), and they're not going to do anything with it anyway, so they're like here. Don't get me wrong, I'm thankful to Sega for that, but don't think that's going to lead to anything else.

That's a possibility though, if Yu asks for the rights to publish ports of 1, & 2 on the new systems, he might be allowed to. However I have to imagine Yu has already asked them that, because frankly if new gamers had easy access to play the original games, a KS wouldn't have been needed in the first place.

You see, Shenmue 3 never actually existed, except for the story, which belongs to Yu anyway, so Sega doesn't really care at all, but what Sega does care about, is letting other companies publish their games, they don't allow it(they allowed ATLUS to do such once or twice before, before they owned ATLUS, but that is it)

Yea, I love the fact newer people are getting into the DC now, no other game(s) have ever cause such for a retro(well the DC is really only semi retro, but still) console before(and the DC, along with other older consoles get indie games all the time), this is so great :)

On the contrary, Sega has a huge global presence - if you'd only care to look. These past few years have seen Sega dramatically increase their output of western releases. Not just from Sega's Japanese studios but also through Sega's western development teams such as Creative Assembly, Relic Entertainment and Hardlight Studio. Of course, many of these games appear on PC and mobile platforms respectively, reflecting in the diversification of gamers away from consoles as an individual’s primary platform. Which is fine by me, after the discontinuation of the Dreamcast I don't care what happens to the Big Three in the end. The likes of Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo could go bankrupt tomorrow and it wouldn't trouble me in the slightest. So long as in the end it's Sega that survives and continue to thrive.

Of course, Sony’s E3 press conference was the huge global stage that Shenmue 3 needed. So this short-time alliance, on the most stable of surviving consoles, will prove to be beneficial for Sega and the Shenmue franchise for the time being. To say nothing of Microsoft’s weakened stance towards third-party developer or Nintendo’s sheer incompetence with the WiiU as an out-dated piece of junk. The important thing to remember is that Shenmue is now a self-sustaining idea; the merchandise Sega released over the past couple of years has been steadily renewing interest. While the granting of the Shenmue 3 licence to Yu Suzuki can yet prove to the spark that sees Shenmue endure, with not just Shenmue 3 but also perhaps Shenmue 4 and beyond as well.

At the same time, renewed interest in the Dreamcast as a platform is beneficial to Sega and the Sega fanbase as a whole. At time when the games industry is at the most stagnant it’s been in years, as the Big Three run console gaming into the ground, the ambition and sheer creativity that the Dreamcast represents can be a revelation for any gamer who’ve never had a chance to experience what gaming can truly offer at its best. The phrase ‘arcade perfect’ use to carry a lot of weight, the measure by which all games had to match. When people look at Shenmue 1 and 2, when they look at the Dreamcast, they should be inspired to demand more games in Sega’s style from all developers.

When you look at the bigger picture, Shenmue 3 isn’t just about completing the next chapter in a wonderful story. This is chance once and for all to bring back arcade style gameplay all across the industry. A few more active Dreamcasts in the world will go a long way towards that goal.
Kintor
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Three Blades » Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:33 am

I haven't bought Dreamcast games in a long time, but this makes me want to buy them again :D
I've already got my old dreamcast from 1999 (still works like a charm), plus a brand new, never-used one in case mine breaks! I think the last DC game I bought was Gunlord in 2012...
Three Blades
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby amiga1200 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:36 am

just gonna leave this fuckin debacle here:
Code: Select all
http://www.shenmuedojo.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=48334
sega may be big, but they've fucked it for MANY of the old-skool.
all they have left, is new customers... :cry:
amiga1200
Banned
Banned

Next

Return to Shenmue III