Dreamcast console sales spike following Shenmue 3 reveal

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Dreamcast console sales spike following Shenmue 3 reveal

Postby Truck_1_0_1_ » Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:22 pm

Zoltor wrote:
amiga1200 wrote: ^^ in terms of an internet price (50-60 $$$ = roughly 40+ gbp average. not looked at the present exchange rates.)
that's a bloody good price. :P
went down to the shops earlier, one could argue making a rod for my back.
i put the supervisor onto this subject, and while he saw it's validity, he couldn't up the prices inline with the hype, they just wouldn't sell here. (if 20 gbp is the average public shopfront price for a dreamcast with hookups where i'm at, the internet price is still fair comparatively speaking, and it's delivered to you door as it was a web like order.) :mrgreen:

Wow if you still have store fronts that sell them at like 2005 prices, you're lucky. By me, stupid GS buys everyone out for no reason, you don't know how lucky you are, to not have Gamestops where you live(GS doesn't even really sell retro game stuff, so it makes no sense), and the only retro game store around here now, price gouges the hell out of people(a few years back, I wanted to buy a Genesis+SCD model 2, which was only worth 60-80 tops back then, yet they wanted 120 for them, talk about a rip-off).

Why a storefront would actually think selling them for double the price of what you can find them for all the time on the internet, is a good idea, I have no idea.

Sega CD 2 WITHOUT cables has been 60+ dollars since 2007, so I don't know where you're coming off with that price. Add in the minimum 30 for the Genesis, tax it up and you're looking at 100 right there. Both consoles complete will EASILY be 150+ back then, so you REALLY need to re-assess your prices.

Your Sega hate in this thread too is absolutely absurd and your claims are completely incorrect: Sonic is still very much alive in all parts of the world and Yakuza is constantly hyped up by outlets. Furthermore, there are still SMS games made in Brazil FFS, Sega is completely far from "dead."

You sound like a blowhard 100% and butthurt on top of that. Is Sega the giant they were in 1993? Of course not, but they're far from a "dead," company.
Truck_1_0_1_
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: Truck_1_0_1_
Steam: Truck_1_0_1_
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Nothing :(

Postby Zoltor » Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:40 pm

Truck_1_0_1_ wrote:
Zoltor wrote:
amiga1200 wrote: ^^ in terms of an internet price (50-60 $$$ = roughly 40+ gbp average. not looked at the present exchange rates.)
that's a bloody good price. :P
went down to the shops earlier, one could argue making a rod for my back.
i put the supervisor onto this subject, and while he saw it's validity, he couldn't up the prices inline with the hype, they just wouldn't sell here. (if 20 gbp is the average public shopfront price for a dreamcast with hookups where i'm at, the internet price is still fair comparatively speaking, and it's delivered to you door as it was a web like order.) :mrgreen:

Wow if you still have store fronts that sell them at like 2005 prices, you're lucky. By me, stupid GS buys everyone out for no reason, you don't know how lucky you are, to not have Gamestops where you live(GS doesn't even really sell retro game stuff, so it makes no sense), and the only retro game store around here now, price gouges the hell out of people(a few years back, I wanted to buy a Genesis+SCD model 2, which was only worth 60-80 tops back then, yet they wanted 120 for them, talk about a rip-off).

Why a storefront would actually think selling them for double the price of what you can find them for all the time on the internet, is a good idea, I have no idea.

Sega CD 2 WITHOUT cables has been 60+ dollars since 2007, so I don't know where you're coming off with that price. Add in the minimum 30 for the Genesis, tax it up and you're looking at 100 right there. Both consoles complete will EASILY be 150+ back then, so you REALLY need to re-assess your prices.

Your Sega hate in this thread too is absolutely absurd and your claims are completely incorrect: Sonic is still very much alive in all parts of the world and Yakuza is constantly hyped up by outlets. Furthermore, there are still SMS games made in Brazil FFS, Sega is completely far from "dead."

You sound like a blowhard 100% and butthurt on top of that. Is Sega the giant they were in 1993? Of course not, but they're far from a "dead," company.

Lot auctions come at a discount, if you are fool enough, to buy them separately, yea it would cost usually 90-100 "with all hookups", so don't even try to pull that BS(without hookups, a console is useless). lmao No one in their right mind would've paid 150 for such a few years ago, so I don't know WTF you're talking about.

Sonic is dead, his name is so tarnished at this point, it would've been better if Sonic never existed at all.

No, I'm just not a blind Sonic/SEGA fanboy, kissing their but, for all the nothing, and bad decisions they have been making for ages now.

Lmao now you're mentioning a country that Isn't part of the gaming industry, SMS is the only legit console Brazil ever paid to be allowed to release there(except maybe the 2600, did the 2600 get released in Brazil? ), all they do is make console knock-offs there, so why pay for the real deal, that's their model(It's even worse for the anime industry, they actually have companies there, devoted to pirating anime).
Last edited by Zoltor on Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:52 pm

And... Another missed opportunity by SEGA
killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby sand4fish » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:42 pm

I proudly can say I contributed to the spike as I bought a Dreamcast last week (mine died so many years ago).

It is just an amazing console, and not only because of Shenmue. Though the library was small, many of the titles are some of the best in videogame history like Jet Set Radio, Power Stone and RE: Code Veronica.
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby mrslig100 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:52 am

Goy oh goy!
This is my chance to shine.
Was gonna wait til christmas but might put some on now.
mrslig100
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Steam: mrslig100
Currently playing: shenmue 3 fandom

Postby Three Blades » Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:31 am

many of the titles are some of the best in videogame history like Jet Set Radio, Power Stone and RE: Code Veronica.

Hell yeah, and don't forget Skies of Arcadia. As far as RPGs go, it's right up there with Crono Trigger and the top tier FF games.
Three Blades
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

-

Postby danny » Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:49 am

-
Last edited by danny on Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
danny

Postby amiga1200 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:46 am

^^ couldn't let it slide.
BAD ADVICE! (yeah, to be avoided, and NOT shared, coz some retard will do it. :roll: )
never overturn the dreamcast to play a game, it will fuck it up.
some pulled that shit on playstations, it worked, for a very short time, til the laser array was utterly FUCKED! :evil:
new assemblies all-round.
clean the lens using a cd-lens cleaner (w isopropyl alcohol) and spin it for a few minutes, then let the alcohol evaporate, ten minutes should be enough.
if a no-go, then a potentiometer calibration of the lens/laser is a last ditch way to recover it.
failing that, new gdi assembly.
still, NEVER tilt or overturn the dreamcast just for a fuckin workaround, shag the assemblies in no short order....
DON'T even do it just to trial it.
every time the center of gravity is shifted on those things, while in use causes severe wear on the lens sled rails and laser assembly.
:roll:
[edit]
thermal dynamics are at play too.
the heat is to rise away from the console, and to be extracted by the console fan.
the motherboard on an overturned console will get extremely warmer vs the normal way up, and do possible damage to board components if console remains overturned for any extended or reasonable length of time really.
amiga1200
Banned
Banned

Location: Third space 3Avatar class heavy battleship, Damocles
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: with gravimetric drives

-

Postby danny » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:04 am

-
danny

Postby amiga1200 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:16 am

^^ NO!
it wasn't missed, just shooting it down before it got off the ground...
and a console on it's side, where the heat travels up the board is just as bad. (potato, potato.)
that's up there with coin and towel tricks for 360, fuck it up way too quick.
the fact that was shared is enough to get your account nuked, glassed and denied by coverup at one place i frequent. (and would back that myself if i was staffing there)
cheap shit 'workarounds' deprive tech of longevity.
nothing missed, just chewed up and spat out. :oops: :roll:
amiga1200
Banned
Banned

Postby Himuro » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:26 am

Zoltor wrote:
Kintor wrote:
Zoltor wrote: It's not only about Shenmue 1, and 2 rerelease or lack there of I should say, but frankly in no way, shape or form, does Sega exist outside of Japan.

All this BS you're pointing out, "only" exists in Japan. Yea, like they allowed someone to bring over 7th Dragon too right, oh yea that's right, they went out of their way to make sure that game could never be released outside of Japan.

You give Sega too much credit, I think they felt they really owed Yu(which they do), and they're not going to do anything with it anyway, so they're like here. Don't get me wrong, I'm thankful to Sega for that, but don't think that's going to lead to anything else.

That's a possibility though, if Yu asks for the rights to publish ports of 1, & 2 on the new systems, he might be allowed to. However I have to imagine Yu has already asked them that, because frankly if new gamers had easy access to play the original games, a KS wouldn't have been needed in the first place.

You see, Shenmue 3 never actually existed, except for the story, which belongs to Yu anyway, so Sega doesn't really care at all, but what Sega does care about, is letting other companies publish their games, they don't allow it(they allowed ATLUS to do such once or twice before, before they owned ATLUS, but that is it)

Yea, I love the fact newer people are getting into the DC now, no other game(s) have ever cause such for a retro(well the DC is really only semi retro, but still) console before(and the DC, along with other older consoles get indie games all the time), this is so great :)

On the contrary, Sega has a huge global presence - if you'd only care to look. These past few years have seen Sega dramatically increase their output of western releases. Not just from Sega's Japanese studios but also through Sega's western development teams such as Creative Assembly, Relic Entertainment and Hardlight Studio. Of course, many of these games appear on PC and mobile platforms respectively, reflecting in the diversification of gamers away from consoles as an individual’s primary platform. Which is fine by me, after the discontinuation of the Dreamcast I don't care what happens to the Big Three in the end. The likes of Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo could go bankrupt tomorrow and it wouldn't trouble me in the slightest. So long as in the end it's Sega that survives and continue to thrive.

Of course, Sony’s E3 press conference was the huge global stage that Shenmue 3 needed. So this short-time alliance, on the most stable of surviving consoles, will prove to be beneficial for Sega and the Shenmue franchise for the time being. To say nothing of Microsoft’s weakened stance towards third-party developer or Nintendo’s sheer incompetence with the WiiU as an out-dated piece of junk. The important thing to remember is that Shenmue is now a self-sustaining idea; the merchandise Sega released over the past couple of years has been steadily renewing interest. While the granting of the Shenmue 3 licence to Yu Suzuki can yet prove to the spark that sees Shenmue endure, with not just Shenmue 3 but also perhaps Shenmue 4 and beyond as well.

At the same time, renewed interest in the Dreamcast as a platform is beneficial to Sega and the Sega fanbase as a whole. At time when the games industry is at the most stagnant it’s been in years, as the Big Three run console gaming into the ground, the ambition and sheer creativity that the Dreamcast represents can be a revelation for any gamer who’ve never had a chance to experience what gaming can truly offer at its best. The phrase ‘arcade perfect’ use to carry a lot of weight, the measure by which all games had to match. When people look at Shenmue 1 and 2, when they look at the Dreamcast, they should be inspired to demand more games in Sega’s style from all developers.

When you look at the bigger picture, Shenmue 3 isn’t just about completely the next chapter in a wonderful story. This is chance once and for all to bring back arcade style gameplay all across the industry. A few more active Dreamcasts in the world will go a long way towards that goal.

Mobile is not part of the gaming industry, and on top of that, that's yet another thing that's not much of a money maker, and is yet another thing that's more JP centric.

PCs? What do they do, because I haven't heard a damn thing about Sega branded PC products. As for those supposed branches of Sega you listed, I keep a fairly close eye on the industry, yet none of them ring a bell lol, what do they even do, and should anyone outside of Japan even care?

The fact you don't care if all the current gaming companies die, just because Sega wimped out, letting Peter Moore talk them into leaving the industry, means you're just a buthurt Sega fanboy.

Get this through your head, "Sega is dead", they are never coming back, you need to suck it up, and move on. There are still good games being made, and to wish "all" the hardware companies to go under, just because Sega "gave up"(for no reason at that, they just wanted out evidently, because there was no reason to drop the DC, when they did at all), is childish at best.

What E3 conference did Sega have, Shenmue 3 was announced during the Sony Conference, not Sega, so I don't know WTF you are talking about. lol was Sega even at E3 at all?

Lmao

So many opinions, almost all of them wrong.

Sega has a booming business on PC. Creative Assembly is a huge developer for them with the Total War series, and Valkyria Chronicles did 500k on steam In less than a year - much better than the PS3 version in fact.

Mobile not part of the gaming industry and not selling? Lmao, please STOP. Mobile is now the largest sector in gaming in terms of profit, especially in Japan.

You have no idea what you're talking about.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

-

Postby danny » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:40 am

-
danny

Postby amiga1200 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:45 am

^^ :???:
what?!
i was talking about the advice, and what I thought of it, wtf has that got to do with you as a person?
you can have it for all i care (play the fuckin victim, ship has sailed) and since we on a 'gunner' route, tell the boards that you pester in pm's.
now the cat is out of the bag.
i don't give a flying fuck, i see BAD ADVICE, i WILL counter it as best i can. (not worth mentioning, but dc's are getting fewer.)
[edit]
typo.
Last edited by amiga1200 on Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
amiga1200
Banned
Banned

Postby Himuro » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:45 am

Dragon St. wrote: Happy with this news, it will hype things up even further for the 3rd game. Sega should really act quick now and announce Shenmue HD at TGS. But knowing Sega, they will let this opportunity go to waste, again.

Kintor wrote: Indeed, I think that Shenmue might even find a place on mobile platforms, alongside PC and consoles, when Sega inevitably ports Shenmue 1 and 2 to a variety of platforms. After all, Dreamcast games have already proven themselves to be technically feasible on most modern smartphones, as the existence of Crazy Taxi and Jet Set Radio already illustrate. It’s just a question of establishing the right controls for Shenmue on a touch-screen; not to mention that many mobile games work with wireless controllers anyway. Nevertheless, I think that Shenmue 1 and 2 HD on mobile platforms would be a good move, to further increase the number of people who can experience Shenmue.

I think it's a terrible idea to have Shenmue on a smartphone. It's not a game you can pick up and have fun with for a couple of minutes like Crazy Taxi. Shenmue with it's attention to detail, it's slow pacing and it's cinematic kind of experience needs to be enjoyed a big screen and a good sound set up.

This argument makes no sense.

Dragon Quest 1-6 and 8 are not pick up and play. Final Fantasy I-VII are on mobile and they're hardly pick up and play. Final Fantasy Tactics is not pick up and play. GTA III, VC, and SA are not pick up and play. Monster Hunter is not pick up and play.

They're all on mobile and highly successful.

Furthermore, Shenmue can totally be pick up and play. All you need to do is set it to fast travel, and warp to Dobuita and go to the arcade and play some games or go work on moves, and then quick save. Shenmue II is even more pick up and play than I. Even if it weren't pick up and play capable, there are lots of games on mobile that aren't, and there's lots of gamers who don't play those games like that, especially if they play their games on tablets.

No one said Shenmue HD should be exclusive to mobile, but it should definitely be on the platform.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

-

Postby danny » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:47 am

-
Last edited by danny on Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
danny

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III