NEW SHENMUE III KICKSTARTER UPDATE - INTERVIEW WITH YU

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: NEW SHENMUE III KICKSTARTER UPDATE - INTERVIEW WITH YU

Postby Himuro » Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:32 pm

Cutting story? He also specifically says he is also ADDING to the story.

How about we just wait for the game to come out?
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Zoltor » Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:37 pm

Himuro wrote: Cutting story? He also specifically says he is also ADDING to the story.

How about we just wait for the game to come out?

I would like to, but AJ is incompetent, and there's no Paypal option yet. If it wasn't for these two issues, I wouldn't be nervous at all, omg I hate AJ
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Yokosuka » Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:51 pm

Zoltor wrote: Correct, but he is cutting story, and his reasoning being, to better fit the game, that KS funding levels is allowing hime to make, which is still a big disappointness, since we were told even at the 2m mark, we would be getting all of the story that Shenmue 3 is suppose to cover(which If I recall is the next 3 chapters, so basically one for each area).

I just know the fact more details about what's going on wasn't given, is all damn AJ's fault, because Yu is rather forth coming on even story aspects that would normally be kept secret, so no way would he be intentionally cryptic on stuff like this.

AJ sucks so bad, Yu could've said the Sky was Blue, and AJ would've relayed to us that Yu said Shenmue 3 wont have a Day/Night cycle system.

Shenmue II has also been rewritten for many reasons and it's still a master piece. You can't make a movie from a novel without adjustments or it would be a really bad movie. It's the same for video games. The Shenmue novel has been written to get the most important lines of the story and there will be in the games. That's why we will get Shenmue 4 at least. I really don't understand the fuss here just for some predictable lines.

And I don't think we should put the blame on AJ each time there's something wrong, Yu has his part of responsibility as well. Even Switch could not make a good translation of his Nico Nico Douga interview because he was sometimes too vague, like he was in all the previous Q&A.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby R3N » Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:52 pm

amiga1200 wrote: yu and cohorts got a grip on their dicks. :P
there's NO reason the whole remaining story couldn't fit.
have we so quickly forgotten the advances in the storage technology?
bdrom. (and whatever the fuck variants down the road.)
coming from on old fart perspective, the standard today is lazy, too much inefficient coding, and way too many video datatype clips.
if the devs utilize their skills properly, and write proper instruction sets (sort of like risc) like they used to do on 16/32 bit systems, that could go on for some time. (the tools to spam a game wasn't about, they devs had to know the full architecture and language of the chipsets, and build an os prior to the game development that was usually custom to the game.)
look up on youtube a partyscene demo 'farbrauch debris' for an example of efficient coding, (should be a link to the xp exe as well last i checked) that used hardly any storage space, but has all the hallmarks of a modern engine properly built without any shit bloaty code.
i can't really explain it as i'm a hardware guy, but i understand the fundamentals.
storage capacity of media inline with todays tech and NO lazy cob-together speed hacks and shit coding, there's NO reason the remaining story UNCUT and ungimped couldn't fit on.
the question would be:
do they have have what's required at their fingertips (a banked amount that no matter what, the game is covered on costs at the worst case scenario) and are they going to take the required time to do it?
at this point, if yu and team have a secret weapon up their sleeves, they could make this game an all-round tech demo in of itself. (a game that truly tests that ps4 thing out)
massive, immersive game (divided with intermissions at the parts where a chapter would generally end) with minimal cgi/digitized data (aside vocal recordings) would justify the end.
look at s1 and 2, uncompressed as gdi, over 4g easy...and they were good for the day, no lazy codes there.
moores law, and i'm expecting as much here. :P :mrgreen:

Its not a matter of fitting the game in one disc. Its a matter that the game will be at a lower quality. Because instead of focusing on details in the game they have to focus on compressing everything including areas and features.

To explain it better,here is an example. Shenmue III 20m budget vs Shenmue III 20m Shenmue IV 20m Shenmue V 20m = 60m invested
R3N
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Zoltor » Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:03 pm

R3N wrote:
amiga1200 wrote: yu and cohorts got a grip on their dicks. :P
there's NO reason the whole remaining story couldn't fit.
have we so quickly forgotten the advances in the storage technology?
bdrom. (and whatever the fuck variants down the road.)
coming from on old fart perspective, the standard today is lazy, too much inefficient coding, and way too many video datatype clips.
if the devs utilize their skills properly, and write proper instruction sets (sort of like risc) like they used to do on 16/32 bit systems, that could go on for some time. (the tools to spam a game wasn't about, they devs had to know the full architecture and language of the chipsets, and build an os prior to the game development that was usually custom to the game.)
look up on youtube a partyscene demo 'farbrauch debris' for an example of efficient coding, (should be a link to the xp exe as well last i checked) that used hardly any storage space, but has all the hallmarks of a modern engine properly built without any shit bloaty code.
i can't really explain it as i'm a hardware guy, but i understand the fundamentals.
storage capacity of media inline with todays tech and NO lazy cob-together speed hacks and shit coding, there's NO reason the remaining story UNCUT and ungimped couldn't fit on.
the question would be:
do they have have what's required at their fingertips (a banked amount that no matter what, the game is covered on costs at the worst case scenario) and are they going to take the required time to do it?
at this point, if yu and team have a secret weapon up their sleeves, they could make this game an all-round tech demo in of itself. (a game that truly tests that ps4 thing out)
massive, immersive game (divided with intermissions at the parts where a chapter would generally end) with minimal cgi/digitized data (aside vocal recordings) would justify the end.
look at s1 and 2, uncompressed as gdi, over 4g easy...and they were good for the day, no lazy codes there.
moores law, and i'm expecting as much here. :P :mrgreen:

Its not a matter of fitting the game in one disc. Its a matter that the game will be at a lower quality. Because instead of focusing on details in the game they have to focus on compressing everything including areas and features.

To explain it better,here is an example. Shenmue III 20m budget vs Shenmue III 20m Shenmue IV 20m Shenmue V 20m = 60m invested

^This. There's no way he has enough funding to make a single game with the remaining 5-6 chapters, and still actually have good gameplay.

To Yokosuka: I suppose that's true.

While that may be true on occasion, I'm pretty positive that yu could translate Japanese to English better then the AJ member can.
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby R3N » Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:17 pm

Kintor wrote:
Zoltor wrote:It's very weird that Sega would wait so long, just to announce how they are planning to turn things around at TGS, especially when It's not the Japanese consumers/fanbase they betrayed(and they openly admitted/agreed It's "specifically" the western markets they screwed over, Japan actually has had it well in the past 10 years or so, It's everywhere outside of Japan, that they royally screwed over).

I mean I suppose they can make a big announcement like they are porting Shenmue 1, and 2 over to PS4/PC, but I don't even see that as a realistic possibility. At the beginning of the KS or more likely after it ended, would've made the most sense.

While I don't think Sega will ever port over the other Shenmue games, I'm interested in hearing what they have to say, I'm just not hopeful they'll be bringing over any non-sonic games, even though they promised they would.

The fact is since Sega made their big confession, they "literally" haven't announced jack, which to admit something like that, then go a few months without proving they are indeed taking steps to follow through with what they promised, is a really bad dicision(it leads to people thinking they were nothing but talk)

No offense but you're reading way too much into the statement made by Sega, while also giving yourself unrealistic expectations about how quickly new games can be released. Suffice to say, there have been plenty of phenomenal Sega games released in the West these past few years. These include awesome games from Sega's Japanese studios such as Sonic Generations, Valkyria Chronicles and the entire Yakuza franchise; just to name a few examples. While Sega's western development teams have also been hard work as well; best-selling strategy game franchise like Total War, Company of Heroes 2 and Football Manager has made Sega a powerhouse PC publisher. This is in addition to the success of many mobile games such as Chain Chronicle and Sonic Dash, two of the most popular mobile games in their respective genres.

Suffice to say, Sega has already done much that is worthy of your respect, if you’d just look around and starting playing all the amazing games that Sega has already available. Plus there a few more great games in the pipeline as well, with Persona 5 perhaps being the closest AAA Sega nearing launch. Anyway, the point of Sega’s statement is re-alliterate the whole corporation’s commitment to delivering the high quality experiences possible – while making sure the whole world knows it! Of course, this doesn’t mean that Shenmue 1 and 2 HD will be making an appearance at TGS 2015; it all depends on the timing of the situation and what other priorities Sega has for the event. Nevertheless, Shenmue 1 and 2 HD could be announced at any time over the next couple of years, it’s simply a matter of perseverance.

Sonic Generation is very overrated the only good thing about it was that there is a pc version that can be modded to include past games. I find it very lacking nothing compared to sonic adventure.

Valkyria Chronicles is the only exception even if I never played I can see it looks like a quality game.
Except Sega stopped releasing some of the sequels outside of Japan...

Yakuza? I don't know why people praise this game action since it looks inferior to Shenmue fighting system.
Except sadly most people just button mash instead of bothering to link skills in Shenmue and master the fighting system....

Total War and Company of Heroes 2 does not count for me. Sega just brought the studios to make the games they didn't create those franchises.

Football Manager is just milking an old franchise. I can't not commend much since I don't care for sport games. Why people like to play a video game of a game they can play in real life?

Persona 5 does not count either since segaSAMMY brought them. It was not an original creation by segaSAMMY.
In my opinion Sega does not deserve praise for those games since they didn't developed them they just brought a successful studios and just invested money in them instead of having multiple studios like the real SEGA where a lot of creative games were made because Sega invested in creativity not by buying other studios.

Chain Chronicle and Sonic Dash
Mobile games are cheap mediocre games....

Sega didn't produce anything good on their own these years except for Valkirye and Yakuza(Which they milked really hard by making 9+ games or more)
R3N
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Yokosuka » Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:32 pm

Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed, Virtua Fighter 5 and Valkyria Chronicles are the last very good Sega games I know. Outrun 2 et After Burner Climax are quality arcade games although there're getting old.

The other franchises are not really from them but I still think Sega should get praise for investing in these companies. Total War is excellent, Football Manager is one of the best strategy games in history (and you can't play it in real life) and there are also Bayonetta 1, Alien Isolation, Hatsune Miku, etc all praised by either the critics or the public.

The last Sonic games are bad but considering the difficulty to realize a playable 3D Sonic, I can't criticize them (apart the catastrophic Sonic 4).
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Zoltor » Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:34 pm

To R3N: The last Sega game(which evidently they outsourced, so again they didn't even develop it, it was developed by a legendary development studio, Neveland of all people) that I really loved, was Shining Force EXA, It's a downright masterpiece, but sadly Sega's atrocious marking screwed up the potential for it to become a major spin-off series.

It should've been named "The Heritor", with the subtitle of "A Shining Force Saga" or something to this effect, it shouldn't have had a main title screaming Shining Force, when It's not a real Shining Force game. Thanks Sega for putting a end to a good thing sigh.
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby amiga1200 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:04 pm

@ R3N.
fair point.
as well as.
you get what you pay for. :mrgreen:
[edit]
almost forgot.
if it's on separate physical volumes as envisioned, what kind of timeframe are we looking at to finish the project?
there's a warp of 14 years to offset, i hope it won't be as slow to get to the table with the whole shenmue story as a finished saga. :P
[edit again]
amiga1200
Banned
Banned

Location: Third space 3Avatar class heavy battleship, Damocles
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: with gravimetric drives

Postby mrandyk » Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:49 pm

Any inference from that interview implying that Shenmue 3 is the end of the series is a misunderstanding through the translation. YS is in control of this project and is not about to sacrifice his vision to ensure that the series is resolved in the next installment. Everything that has been said by everyone involved points towards at least a fourth game to finish things up, and even just four games would probably be 'rushing things' compared to the original vision.
mrandyk
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby R3N » Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:34 pm

Yokosuka wrote: Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed, Virtua Fighter 5 and Valkyria Chronicles are the last very good Sega games I know. Outrun 2 et After Burner Climax are quality arcade games although there're getting old.

The other franchises are not really from them but I still think Sega should get praise for investing in these companies. Total War is excellent, Football Manager is one of the best strategy games in history (and you can't play it in real life) and there are also Bayonetta 1, c, Hatsune Miku, etc all praised by either the critics or the public.

The last Sonic games are bad but considering the difficulty to realize a playable 3D Sonic, I can't criticize them (apart the catastrophic Sonic 4).

-Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed is not original just a mario kart clone and the only reason I play it was because Ryo was on it.I only finished the game with Ryo.

-Sega just the publisher of Bayonetta, it was developed by PlatinumGames same company that did viewtiful joe and okami. Also PlatinumGames developed games for many different companies not just for segaSammy. They make games for Nintendo and Squarenix for example.

-Hatsune Miku. A popular franchise they decided to make a game of and seriously Miku This video explain the franchise perfectly :P
phpBB [video]

-Alien Isolation was same case as Total war they just brought a studio called Creative Assembly not only that the game based on a successful franchise is not an original game created by Sega creativity.

When sammy merged with Sega they destroyed what Sega was good at. Creating "many" original innovating games. They did that by forcing studios to merge and closing down studios.When before the merges those studios had creative freedom to experiment.
segaSammy is not even 1/10 the old Sega was in the 90's

-
R3N
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby R3N » Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:44 pm

In my opinion I would prefer if they would keep asking for backing on their site http://shenmue.link/
with chapters as stretch goals...
5m-chapter 6
10m-chapter 7
15m-chapter 8
20m-chapter 9
25m-chapter 10
30m-chapter 11

Then sell them as downloadable content for those that didn't back it...

In a perfect world would be...
10m-chapter 6
20m-chapter 7
30m-chapter 8
40m-chapter 9
50m-chapter 10
60m-chapter 11

This the only way I can see Shenmue future games as a worthy sequel that would our expectations.
Last edited by R3N on Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
R3N
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Yokosuka » Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:48 pm

The "clone" argument doesn't imply there are bad games and Sonic Racing is excellent despite some sluggish aspects. Just too bad for Sega that Mario Kart 8 came out then.

I know that Sega did not create these games directly but it's still a good restart for a company which have lost all his soul since Sammy. Capcom, Square Enix, Namco are even not better.

Unless they let Yu take the control of their arcade section again, it's out of the question to see the great old Sega come back.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Zoltor » Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:49 pm

R3N wrote:
Yokosuka wrote: Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed, Virtua Fighter 5 and Valkyria Chronicles are the last very good Sega games I know. Outrun 2 et After Burner Climax are quality arcade games although there're getting old.

The other franchises are not really from them but I still think Sega should get praise for investing in these companies. Total War is excellent, Football Manager is one of the best strategy games in history (and you can't play it in real life) and there are also Bayonetta 1, c, Hatsune Miku, etc all praised by either the critics or the public.

-Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed is not original just a mario kart clone and the only reason I play it was because Ryo was on it.I only finished the game with Ryo.

-Sega just the publisher of Bayonetta, it was developed by PlatinumGames same company that did viewtiful joe and okami

-Hatsune Miku. A popular franchise they decided to make a game of and seriously Miku This video explain the franchise perfectly :P
phpBB [video]

-Alien Isolation was same case as Total war they just brought a studio called Creative Assembly not only that the game based on a successful franchise is not an original game created by Sega creativity.

When sammy merged with Sega they destroyed what Sega was good at. Creating "many" original innovating games.
segaSammy is not even 1/10 the old Sega was in the 90's

-

Sad, but true, It's my understanding that, they might very well not have developed a single game in a very long time now(correct me if I'm wrong, but every game I find with their name on it for quite a while now, they outsourced), and all Sega is, is a name that owns rights to a ton of IPs.

This is no doubt the reason why Sega wasn't buthurt back when Yu left, they knew he had to go elsewhere, he wasn't doing so because he wanted to/had a disagreement(Yu loved working at Sega). Yu is a developer(a legendary one at that), and Sega stopped developing games, need I say more.
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby amiga1200 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:56 pm

@ REN.
MWAHAHAHA! :rotflmao:
dlc alone for the poor bastards that couldn't back it due to life circumstances, not to mention if all goes well, the net results, the bottom line form initial sales?!
nahh!
meaning only so many finite like LTD-EDIT retail prints on relz?
i fuckin hope not.
no reason both types couldn't be an option to the cust....gamer, the retail print and a dlc archive. (LTD-EDITS/specials are their own thing and not counted here.)
it true, anybody who's able to back at the start should be given the 'special' package, and those seeing a game to grab has the option.
i know i wouldn't sleep well knowing the continuation was forced to dlc alone bullshit, one reason i'm NOT in 'that' game. (dlc as general addon is also not a concern, it's when it's demanded to complete the game, a sort of FREEMIUM that has it's own limitations for obvious reasons...like server no longer online, that sort of thing.) :P
amiga1200
Banned
Banned

Location: Third space 3Avatar class heavy battleship, Damocles
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: with gravimetric drives

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III