NEW SHENMUE III KICKSTARTER UPDATE - INTERVIEW WITH YU

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: NEW SHENMUE III KICKSTARTER UPDATE - INTERVIEW WITH YU

Postby Zoltor » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:49 am

Kintor wrote:
Zoltor wrote: No, I never said they had to actually release something right away, but they had to announce something that they are going to localizes in the near future. Don't tell me, those numbskulls can't tell us what they're going to be starting to work on soon.

No Sonic game counts, that's just standard crap Sega would mainly release outside of Japan anyway. I have always considered the Yakuza series a slap in the face from Sega, so while I admit It's generally liked, I avoided that, on the grounds that I don't want to play just a dumbed down, appealing to a wider audience, wannabe Shenmue game(although I admit I like the idea of a action game using the Shenmue fighting system, providing it really does use the same fighting system, and 1-2 buttons doesn't auto do the moves)

I have no faith in Sega to do anything out of their normal western released games outside of Japan at all, infact I have more faith in Square release a quality game(which my faith in Square is way in the negative numbers at this point, but atleast they care about the non-Japanese market, where as far as Sega believes, Japan is the only gaming market in the world).

I just thought of something though, I don't think It's going to happen, but if they announce any western plans at TGS(I still find announcing releases for non-Japanese markets at TGS to be beyond silly, but still, developers have done such before), I think the most likely thing would be PSO 2, since It's a MMO(why this wasn't released outside of Japan, is probally one of the biggest mysteries in the entire history of the gaming industry, MMOs are insanely huge outside of Japan, WTF was Sega thinking), which would sure make a lot of people happy, and I guess would be a good start.

You're setting yourself up for failure, by definition the Tokyo Game Show is a decidedly Japanese-centric event. Announcements that are directly applicable to Western markets can and do regularly happen but they should never be taken as an absolute certainty. Sega, like any publisher, can make announcements at TGS and then follow up months later with the confirmation of a Western release. It's pretty standard practise, just as how announcements made at E3 (an American event) can't always confirm when or even if a game will see a release in PAL territories. In regards to Shenmue 1 and 2 HD, if Sega even mentions the game at all there’s no certainty that a western release will even be discussed – TGS is the wrong venue to talk about western releases.

On an unrelated note – play one of the Yakuza games they’re a heap of fun. Don’t go into them expecting a Shenmue style experience, because no games ever made are quite like Shenmue. Rather, it’s better to think of the Yakuza games as an organised crime JRPG with a strong beat‘em up influence. In a way, you might say that the Yakuza games are kind of like a cross between Phantasy Star and Streets of Rage, over-the-top drama combined with the gratuitous joy of hand-to-hand martial arts combat. Play the Yakuza games on their own terms and don’t compare them to Shenmue, they are two completely different experiences.

Yea I know that.

Yea I agree, but It's hard to do that when every damn bastard who talks about Yakuza on Youtube, tries to claim It's like a Spiritual successor to the Shenmue games or some not that far off spin-off game, when I already do know, nothing can compare to the Shenmue games(lets be real, if Sega of all people where going to have a game similar to Shenmue made in any real way, they would just contract Yu to make a Shenmue game in the first place, they wouldn't be making a similar game, to slap a different name on it).

Fair enough, but how does the fighting system work in those games, does it atleast use a real fighting engine or is it more similar to beat em ups, like you're comparing the genre to?

To KidMarine: Yea I know, but we always get Sonic games anyway, so nomatter how good they are, they're nothing special. However you're so wrong, Sonic CD, and SA 2 were way better then the Genesis/Mega Drive Sonic games.

Oh ok.
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Kintor » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:15 am

Zoltor wrote: Yea I know that.

Yea I agree, but It's hard to do that when every damn bastard who talks about Yakuza on Youtube, tries to claim It's like a Spiritual successor to the Shenmue games or some not that far off spin-off game, when I already do know, nothing can compare to the Shenmue games(lets be real, if Sega of all people where going to have a game similar to Shenmue made in any real way, they would just contract Yu to make a Shenmue game in the first place, they wouldn't be making a similar game, to slap a different name on it).

Fair enough, but how does the fighting system work in those games, does it atleast use a real fighting engine or is it more similar to beat em ups, like you're comparing the genre to?

Well, the fighting system in Yakuza is actually surprisingly sophisticated. The beat-em up comparison comes from the fact that you're often fighting gangs of street thugs in random encounters. But the more time you spend with the game the greater depth to the fighting you'll discover. This is partially because of the aforementioned JRPG elements; most of a character's move set is inaccessible at the start of the game. You unlock more moves (and increase your health bar etc.) by gaining experience from defeating enemies and completing missions around town. As for the combat itself, it's not like Virtua Fighter because AM2 doesn't make the Yakuza games but rather a different development team within Sega is responsible. Still, there are plenty of ways to block and counter-attack, so no fear of button mashing.
Kintor
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Zoltor » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:19 am

Kintor wrote:

Well, the fighting system in Yakuza is actually surprisingly sophisticated. The beat-em up comparison comes from the fact that you're often fighting gangs of street thugs in random encounters. But the more time you spend with the game the greater depth to the fighting you'll discover. This is partially because of the aforementioned JRPG elements; most of a character's move set is inaccessible at the start of the game. You unlock more moves (and increase your health bar etc.) by gaining experience from defeating enemies and completing missions around town. As for the combat itself, it's not like Virtua Fighter because AM2 doesn't make the Yakuza games but rather a different development team within Sega is responsible. Still, there are plenty of ways to block and counter-attack, so no fear of button mashing.

Ok, well that's cool atleast, so there is a actual "move list/move set", where the characters can actually learn more moves, as you progress through the game.
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby shenmue852 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:40 am

More than length, it's very important to me to see the chapters set in Xi'an, Luoyang, Mengcun and Beijing. Perhaps the chapter in Suzhou would have to be cut.

If Shenmue III is successful, Shenmue IV could reasonably be produced at a budget where those 4 cities are rendered at the scale of Wanchai with implied/depicted larger areas that you don't access. I'm guessing that building on Shenmue III's resources and with a bigger budget pending Shenmue III sales, Shenmue IV could be around Shenmue II's overall size or slightly bigger, and fittingly conclude the series if produced at a budget of 20-25 million.

Condensing all that to IV is already cutting out a lot of content, so perhaps some of the remaining cities could only be depicted as event areas rather than fully explorable environments. I think it's reasonable though.

Ending it in Shenmue III in Guilin means no Xi'an, no Luoyang/Shaolin, no Mengcun where Iwao trained with and may or may not have killed Zhao Sunming, and that's just really sad because those areas would have made for amazing Shenmue settings. As cool as Guilin is, that was going to be the next level.

Ryo becoming a master by the end of the next game would feel inauthentic to the entire pace and established storyline of SI and II.

I really hope that he is just configuring the plot in order to put SOME of the elements from cut chapters into III so that IV could be a bigger game that depicts as many of the planned settings as possible and still concludes the series. Depending on Shenmue III's sales, if it's a runaway hit it might even be possible to produce 2 more games so it could end at a 5th game. But it needs to be 4 at the very least.

shenmue852 has received 2 thanks from: James Brown, R3N
shenmue852
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby shenmue852 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:49 am

Kintor wrote:

Yakuza's okay, I find it hard to really care about the characters and story but the game itself is pretty solid, if a little repetitive (why can't you just explore the city sometimes without getting in a fight every other block?)

It's a solid game, but if compared to Shenmue, Yakuza's storyline and overall artistic integrity is like comparing some popular comic/anime to Hayao Miyazaki's work. It's not that Yakuza's bad, it's just not special, aside from on a technical level.
shenmue852
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Yokosuka » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:54 am

Many complained about the lack of action in Shenmue. I think Yakuza is just the fun version of Shenmue whereas the original focuses more on the immersion.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Zoltor » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:01 am

shenmue852 wrote:
Kintor wrote:

Yakuza's okay, I find it hard to really care about the characters and story but the game itself is pretty solid, if a little repetitive (why can't you just explore the city sometimes without getting in a fight every other block?)

It's a solid game, but if compared to Shenmue, Yakuza's storyline and overall artistic integrity is like comparing some popular comic/anime to Hayao Miyazaki's work. It's not that Yakuza's bad, it's just not special, aside from on a technical level.

Ok, yea that's what I kind of figured it was thank you. If I'm looking for a short diversion some time/just feel like playing something different from the kind of games I own, I might pick it up.

I'm very strict when it comes to gameplay quality for games I buy, but with it being a hybrid game, It's very possible I may be willing to buy it just for the unique gameplay style(when I'm really bored).
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby shenmue852 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:08 am

I only played Yakuza 4, and the cutscenes were long and boring. Not MGS length, but still too long. For ruthless gangsters those characters sure have a lot to say.
shenmue852
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Gen » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:46 am

shenmue852 wrote: More than length, it's very important to me to see the chapters set in Xi'an, Luoyang, Mengcun and Beijing. Perhaps the chapter in Suzhou would have to be cut.

If Shenmue III is successful, Shenmue IV could reasonably be produced at a budget where those 4 cities are rendered at the scale of Wanchai with implied/depicted larger areas that you don't access. I'm guessing that building on Shenmue III's resources and with a bigger budget pending Shenmue III sales, Shenmue IV could be around Shenmue II's overall size or slightly bigger, and fittingly conclude the series if produced at a budget of 20-25 million.

Condensing all that to IV is already cutting out a lot of content, so perhaps some of the remaining cities could only be depicted as event areas rather than fully explorable environments. I think it's reasonable though.

Ending it in Shenmue III in Guilin means no Xi'an, no Luoyang/Shaolin, no Mengcun where Iwao trained with and may or may not have killed Zhao Sunming, and that's just really sad because those areas would have made for amazing Shenmue settings. As cool as Guilin is, that was going to be the next level.

Ryo becoming a master by the end of the next game would feel inauthentic to the entire pace and established storyline of SI and II.

I really hope that he is just configuring the plot in order to put SOME of the elements from cut chapters into III so that IV could be a bigger game that depicts as many of the planned settings as possible and still concludes the series. Depending on Shenmue III's sales, if it's a runaway hit it might even be possible to produce 2 more games so it could end at a 5th game. But it needs to be 4 at the very least.

I agree, and I think it's clear that Yu Suzuki wants to make at least S5. Let's hope it will be possible.
Gen
Master of the Three Blades

Postby elmatto » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:16 am

That little sketch got me thinking...
I find it interesting how the concept art is drawn in a decidedly anime style but the games have always been realistic.
Last edited by elmatto on Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
elmatto

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby NeoShredder » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:14 pm

Wow, this is a good update and it's not even the 3rd yet. Creeping hype over here. 8)

elmatto wrote: That little sketch god me thinking...
I find it interesting how the concept art is drawn in a decidedly anime style but the games have always been realistic.

Heh, I see it like Metal Gear's art, or even like Peace Walker's cutscenes even. I think 'concept' style sketches is as much about conveying tone and style rather than technical 'whatever'. Charming nonetheless :)
NeoShredder
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PSN: NeoShredder5

Postby Yokosuka » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:26 pm

elmatto wrote: That little sketch god me thinking...

Realistic but not ultra-realistic. Japanese character designers usually add glimpses of manga influence in their works (e.g. Ryo CGI Dreamcast for Shenmue or Virtua Fighter 5). That means the charadesign in Shenmue 3 will be a very little stylized in some way according the 3D character designer's personality.
I am excited to see the first results in the coming months.
Last edited by Yokosuka on Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Himuro » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:28 pm

Anyone who thinks this interview makes it sound like Yu is ending the series with this game not only has an overly imaginative mind that gets supposed "observations" from literally nothing, they are also delusional. There's nothing in the text at all that suggests that Yu is ending the series with III. Stop panicking about every fucking little thing about this game, holy shit people.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby amiga1200 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:10 pm

Himuro wrote:Anyone who thinks this interview makes it sound like Yu is ending the series with this game not only has an overly imaginative mind that gets supposed "observations" from literally nothing, they are also delusional. There's nothing in the text at all that suggests that Yu is ending the series with III. Stop panicking about every fucking little thing about this game, holy shit people.
^^ not playing devils advocate, but 3 isn't even in our hands yet.
my expectations are unrealistic in the positive sense, and the outcome of this WILL determine how this user views the company.
it's totally reasonable for some to have doubts when we live on a planet that forces us to DO (not be) and SHOW US THE MONEY!
as stated earlier, i have no faith, none whatsoever (an english trait) but there's proof of results in the past two games, even if time has passed unreasonably long.
that's the gauge i'm using, they say good things happen in 3's!
i'm fine with reading responses that have their own doubts, probably would motivate all concerned not to screw it up... ;-)
amiga1200
Banned
Banned

Location: Third space 3Avatar class heavy battleship, Damocles
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: with gravimetric drives

Postby Zoltor » Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:25 pm

Himuro wrote: Anyone who thinks this interview makes it sound like Yu is ending the series with this game not only has an overly imaginative mind that gets supposed "observations" from literally nothing, they are also delusional. There's nothing in the text at all that suggests that Yu is ending the series with III. Stop panicking about every fucking little thing about this game, holy shit people.
Correct, but he is cutting story, and his reasoning being, to better fit the game, that KS funding levels is allowing hime to make, which is still a big disappointness, since we were told even at the 2m mark, we would be getting all of the story that Shenmue 3 is suppose to cover(which If I recall is the next 3 chapters, so basically one for each area).

I just know the fact more details about what's going on wasn't given, is all damn AJ's fault, because Yu is rather forth coming on even story aspects that would normally be kept secret, so no way would he be intentionally cryptic on stuff like this.

AJ sucks so bad, Yu could've said the Sky was Blue, and AJ would've relayed to us that Yu said Shenmue 3 wont have a Day/Night cycle system.
Last edited by Zoltor on Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III