Chai in Shenmue 3

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Chai in Shenmue 3

Postby Chaikilla » Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:59 pm

So, Yu has confirmed that Chai will appear in Shenmue 3 but I'm a little confused how and why he's returning to the series. Unless it's a via a flashback, which kind of makes sense since we know that Yu will incorporate the use of flashbacks in s3. Then again, that seems like a troll move and I have my doubts that's what Yu meant when he said Chai will return in the third installment.

Many moons ago, on my first playthrough of Shenmue 2, every time the camera panned out to the highest point in cutscenes in Shenmue 2, I thought that was the cue for Chai's grand return. When I heard the Japanese voice of the Myna bird on the casette tape, I thought "Oh God, it's Chai". Even when Ryo and Shenhua took shelter in that cave in Guilin for a night and Shenhua said that another person must have stayed in the cave very recently (because of the leftover firewood), I immediately thought of Chai.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on why he's being reintroduced into the story and speculate on how he'll make his comeback.
Chaikilla
Master of the Three Blades

Re: Chai in Shenmue 3

Postby Lan Di-sama » Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:51 pm

I'm hoping his return justifies his inclusion in the first place. Who is Chai, why is he obsessed with Lan Di, how did he get so gross looking,etc? None of these questions were answered in Shenmue I and honestly I always thought the story would have been just fine without him in it altogether because without a motive or backstory he served no real purpose other than to be an additional antagonist to Ryo.

Lan Di-sama has received 2 thanks from: Chaikilla, Mr357
Lan Di-sama
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Himuro » Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:10 pm

Chai sucks and is the worst character in the series. An ugly skinhead with an even worse voice with flat character development and motivations. The only thing Chai wants is to impress Lan Di. Boring. Chai returning so far is the only disappointing thing I've heard about Shenmue III. Chai sucks and should have stayed on the Dreamcast. What an awful, awful villain and character.

Himuro has received a thanks from: zema
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Yokosuka » Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:51 pm

Himuro wrote: Chai sucks and is the worst character in the series. An ugly skinhead with an even worse voice with flat character development and motivations. The only thing Chai wants is to impress Lan Di. Boring. Chai returning so far is the only disappointing thing I've heard about Shenmue III. Chai sucks and should have stayed on the Dreamcast. What an awful, awful villain and character.

Looks like everyone agree although I found his English voice brilliant personally. At least, his fighting style fits very well with the character (more than Lion Rafale).

Yokosuka has received a thanks from: Kaze518
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby The_Intruder » Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:48 pm

I did like Chai fighting style and he was pretty tough to beat.
The_Intruder
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Jann-Lee1999
Currently playing: Zelda:Breath of the wild

Postby Shenhua-Nani? » Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:46 am

Chai coming back looks more like fanservice than anything.... i mean he got beat when Ryo was much weaker than he is now :???:
Shenhua-Nani?
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Hyo Razuki » Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:07 am

He could be just in a flashback. I also don't like the character too much, but one has to admit that he was one of the toughest fighters Ryo had to face so far. He's definitely up there with Eileen, Izumi and Baihu. He would make a tough sub-boss for S3 but I still hope he will be just in a flashback.
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Yokosuka » Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:26 am

Shenhua-Nani? wrote: Chai coming back looks more like fanservice than anything.... i mean he got beat when Ryo was much weaker than he is now :???:

Chai has one quality, he never gives up. He's the Terminator of Shenmue and things can become interesting if his relationship with Lan Di is finally exploited. All may not be lost yet with this character.

Yokosuka has received a thanks from: Mr357
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Hyo Razuki » Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:14 am

:iagree: This. If the character is further expanded, it could actually become interesting. Who is Chai? Where is he from and why does he look the way he does? He also seems to have some supernatural powers. Look at his jumping skill he shows off at Chen's Warehouse and at Sakuragaoka. What kind of power is it?

How does Chai know about Lan Di and Zhu Yuan Da? Also if Chai and Lan Di were to meet, Chai would probably tell Lan Di about the conversation between Gui Zhang and Ryo he overheard which would in turn mean, Lan Di would find out that Ryo has the second mirror.
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Chaikilla » Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:41 am

Hyo Razuki wrote: :iagree: This. If the character is further expanded, it could actually become interesting. Who is Chai? Where is he from and why does he look the way he does? He also seems to have some supernatural powers. Look at his jumping skill he shows off at Chen's Warehouse and at Sakuragaoka. What kind of power is it?

How does Chai know about Lan Di and Zhu Yuan Da? Also if Chai and Lan Di were to meet, Chai would probably tell Lan Di about the conversation between Gui Zhang and Ryo he overheard which would in turn mean, Lan Di would find out that Ryo has the second mirror.

Chai organized Lan Di's travel to Hong Kong, so it's likely that they've met one another. I'd imagine he snitched to Lan Di about the existence of the Phoenix mirror in order to gain his trust/entry into the Chiyoumen.

Speaking of Chai's "supernatural" powers, I read a good theory (I think on here?) a long time ago about Chai being a Chiyoumen experiment of some kind. Definitely food for thought.
Chaikilla

Postby shredingskin » Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:44 pm

To be honest I think of Chai more in the vein of comedic relief badguy than a really fleshed out character.

Since he was also supposed to be in the boat from nowhere, just a recurring villain.

But maybe I'm wrong.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Gen » Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:59 am

Yokosuka wrote:
Himuro wrote: Chai sucks and is the worst character in the series. An ugly skinhead with an even worse voice with flat character development and motivations. The only thing Chai wants is to impress Lan Di. Boring. Chai returning so far is the only disappointing thing I've heard about Shenmue III. Chai sucks and should have stayed on the Dreamcast. What an awful, awful villain and character.

Looks like everyone agree although I found his English voice brilliant personally. At least, his fighting style fits very well with the character (more than Lion Rafale).

That's the one english voice I preferred over the japanese.
Gen

Postby shengoro86 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:34 am

Gen wrote:
Yokosuka wrote:

I love that Chai is coming back.
Paul Lucas is his english voice actor and he is THE ONLY PERSON WHO CAN DO CHAI.
So yeah, he also voices Lan Di FYI.
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

PSN: Shengoro86
XBL: Rock Is Sponge
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Shenmue III (PC)

Postby zema » Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:38 am

shengoro86 wrote:
Gen wrote:
Yokosuka wrote:

I love that Chai is coming back.
Paul Lucas is his english voice actor and he is THE ONLY PERSON WHO CAN DO CHAI.
So yeah, he also voices Lan Di FYI.

You love Chai? For real?

He's so anoying, i hate his guts.

C'mon admit it, you only want the original voice actor for Lan Di right?

right?
zema
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PSN: zema7777
Nintendo FC: zema7777
Currently playing: Witcher 3

Postby punkmanced » Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:59 pm

Meh…he’s served his purpose already.

We fought that bastard twice in the first game….and a third time on the boat.
Time to come up with new characters ;)
punkmanced
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Next

Return to Shenmue III