How did you react to the announcement?

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

How did you react to the announcement?

Postby ShenGCH » Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:25 am

As someone who will regret until the day I die not catching the live announcement of Shenmue III - instead finding out just minutes later on the news section of another website, followed by a few tears and almost out-of-body experience - I was just wondering if the community wouldn't mind sharing their stories of how they reacted to the announcement? Were you watching it live or did you find out later on? Were there tears and not-giving-a-fuck screaming and dancing?

Share your stories :)
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: How did you react to the announcement?

Postby SMDzero » Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:55 am

I slept through E3 and came to the Dojo to see that a Shenmue 3 Kickstarter was announced.

I wasn't that excited because I didn't know if the Kickstarter was official or if anything would come from it.

After a few minutes I felt more relief than excitement. It has been so long since Shenmue captivated me that I felt strangely removed. I quickly pledged $$$ and have been getting more excited by the day.
SMDzero
Banned
Banned

Postby alexh86 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:21 am

I had a unique experience because I was able to get the free tickets to Sony's E3 live show at a local movie theater. So, there I was, sitting among strangers and I knew from the very first violin note played over the still-black screen. I shouted aloud in the theater but it didn't seem to have much impact on others there.
alexh86
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: ahark86
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby shengoro86 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:57 am

lol my initial reaction:
phpBB [video]

How I feel about us as a community getting this opportunity open for Yu Suzuki.
phpBB [video]

shengoro86 has received 2 thanks from: Kiske, ShenGCH
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

PSN: Shengoro86
XBL: Rock Is Sponge
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Shenmue III (PC)

Postby Mr357 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:40 pm

I was at a loss for words, and I think most of the Dojo was too since nobody really said anything in the chat for the first 30 seconds or so after the announcement. My heart rate was through the roof, and I frantically started messaging and calling some of my friends.

Now every future announcement has to be even more surprising, and the bar is set pretty high. I think the only thing that could match my excitement over the Shenmue 3 announcement would be System Shock 3, which unfortunately will probably never happen.
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Chaikilla » Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:16 pm

I remember reading on the dojo a few hours before the announcement that a credible French source had 100% confirmed Shenmue 3 for E3 and for a moment, I started to believe. But then I gave myself a reality check, told myself I've seen/heard it all before and it would most likely be a hoax and went to sleep. About 20% of me believed that I'd wake up to Shenmue 3 announcements and I did!

I'm not ashamed to say I cried some tears of happiness. For once, my initial optimism wasn't met with a crushing blow of reality.
Chaikilla

Postby Himuro » Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:29 pm

I cried.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby KidMarine » Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:34 pm

I was mildly excited I guess.

I almost collapsed, I was weak at the knees!
KidMarine
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: KiddMarine
Steam: KiddMarine

Postby Lan Di-sama » Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:33 pm

ShenGCH wrote: As someone who will regret until the day I die not catching the live announcement of Shenmue III - instead finding out just minutes later on the news section of another website, followed by a few tears and almost out-of-body experience - I was just wondering if the community wouldn't mind sharing their stories of how they reacted to the announcement? Were you watching it live or did you find out later on? Were there tears and not-giving-a-fuck screaming and dancing?

Share your stories :)

Pretty much the same story for me. I knew the conference was happening, might have even checked the Dojo or gaming media a half hour into it, but wasn't hopeful enough to deem it worth watching (I dont follow the industry too closely anymore). I saw the news on Facebook first via Shenmue Dojo about 20 mins after the fact, lept off the couch I was laying on, and sputtered and gasped and hopped around my house until I calmed down enough to watch the Kickstarted video and the e3 reveal.

I don't think my eyes got wet until it was the next day and I was on the bus to work and let it sink in a bit.

Sure would love to go back in time and catch that first note of music because what an epic half a second moment in time that must have been for that realization to hit.

Have 3 months really passed? Damn, we will be playing this game before we know it.
Lan Di-sama
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby ShenBlue92 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:11 pm

that was actually both shocking and funny...
me and a friend of mine decided to wake up at 4 am to be able to watch the Sony conference live (I live in Italy), and by the time it began we started texting via what's app. He had never played Shenmue before that day but had a lot of respect and curiosity for the franchise.
The Last Guardian, FFVII remake and the game from media molecule made him very happy, and five minutes before Shen3 was announced he was saying: "this conference is the best in years, now they only have to announce Shenmue 3 to obliterate everything else".
I was pessimistic and he replied that maybe we were asking too much...Right after this sentence Shenmue theme started playing, and I jumped from my chair before the text appeared, I immediately sent him an audio message that was something like this: <<NOOOOO, I can't believe it... [laugh mixed with tears], I just can't...can't....“.
After that I started crying with so much joy, it was something I have never felt before (I have no fear to say that, I'm 23 yo)... When Suzuki was invited on stage I sincerely had a little faint, I was touched by his tears, his humility and the passion he was expressing with the look of his eyes.

The result was a huge amount of adrenaline in my body that later wouldn't have made me sleep at all, and in the next couple of days I couldn't stop crying everytime I watched the reveal trailer and mostly the live reaction videos, and still today I have quite goosebumps.
This whole thing touched me really deep for a lot of reasons actually: I went through a very tough time in my life , I was slowly recovering and every day I was happier, and the period of May and June has been a life changing one for me (in a good way). But there was also another thing:
I have my Dreamcast and both Shenmue 1 and 2, but the last time I played the first one was in 2002 because then my brother lent the first 2 discs of Shenmue to someone and they never got back (he doesn't even remember the person who took them), and in 2009 I managed to buy the first 2 discs on Ebay at a very cheap price, but I still couldn't replay the game because my Dreamcast was fried and I kept playing Shen2 on my xbox360 once in a while. On May 2015 I felt this strange urge to find a new Dreamcast because I wanted to re-play the first Shenmue so badly...I found a used and cheap console from a private seller and I did a relaxed playthrough of the first 2 games in a row until the very end of June.
This is why Shen3 was such a shock for me... after all these years I felt the need to make a gift for myself and repeat this experience that had changed my life the same way I did when I was a kid, and right after that the new game was announced....I can't believe this is just a coincidence, after 14 years...

ShenBlue92 has received 2 thanks from: Kiske, ShenGCH
ShenBlue92
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Postby south carmain » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:28 pm

south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Yokosuka » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:32 pm

That was a strange feeling. I was disappointed that Shenmue 3 was only kickstarted. Before the E3 conf, I really believed that Sony funded the game and I was shocked by poor Shenhua's face but it was still surprising and exciting. I cried at the replay and couldn't sleep for 2 days.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby ShenGCH » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:18 am

shengoro86 wrote: lol my initial reaction:
phpBB [video]

How I feel about us as a community getting this opportunity open for Yu Suzuki.
phpBB [video]

Man, it would have been awesome if you were recording in the run-up to the beginning of the announcement. Still a beautiful reaction, though :)

What did you do the second you heard the music?
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Scrounder » Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:27 am

i exploded
Scrounder
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Kiske » Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:31 am

Un fan italiano di Shenmue :heart:

I like your story! Where are you from in Italy?

ShenBlue92 wrote: that was actually both shocking and funny...
me and a friend of mine decided to wake up at 4 am to be able to watch the Sony conference live (I live in Italy), and by the time it began we started texting via what's app. He had never played Shenmue before that day but had a lot of respect and curiosity for the franchise.
The Last Guardian, FFVII remake and the game from media molecule made him very happy, and five minutes before Shen3 was announced he was saying: "this conference is the best in years, now they only have to announce Shenmue 3 to obliterate everything else".
I was pessimistic and he replied that maybe we were asking too much...Right after this sentence Shenmue theme started playing, and I jumped from my chair before the text appeared, I immediately sent him an audio message that was something like this: <<NOOOOO, I can't believe it... [laugh mixed with tears], I just can't...can't....“.
After that I started crying with so much joy, it was something I have never felt before (I have no fear to say that, I'm 23 yo)... When Suzuki was invited on stage I sincerely had a little faint, I was touched by his tears, his humility and the passion he was expressing with the look of his eyes.

The result was a huge amount of adrenaline in my body that later wouldn't have made me sleep at all, and in the next couple of days I couldn't stop crying everytime I watched the reveal trailer and mostly the live reaction videos, and still today I have quite goosebumps.
This whole thing touched me really deep for a lot of reasons actually: I went through a very tough time in my life , I was slowly recovering and every day I was happier, and the period of May and June has been a life changing one for me (in a good way). But there was also another thing:
I have my Dreamcast and both Shenmue 1 and 2, but the last time I played the first one was in 2002 because then my brother lent the first 2 discs of Shenmue to someone and they never got back (he doesn't even remember the person who took them), and in 2009 I managed to buy the first 2 discs on Ebay at a very cheap price, but I still couldn't replay the game because my Dreamcast was fried and I kept playing Shen2 on my xbox360 once in a while. On May 2015 I felt this strange urge to find a new Dreamcast because I wanted to re-play the first Shenmue so badly...I found a used and cheap console from a private seller and I did a relaxed playthrough of the first 2 games in a row until the very end of June.
This is why Shen3 was such a shock for me... after all these years I felt the need to make a gift for myself and repeat this experience that had changed my life the same way I did when I was a kid, and right after that the new game was announced....I can't believe this is just a coincidence, after 14 years...
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Next

Return to Shenmue III