Monaco Magic 2016 - Official Discussion Topic

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Monaco Magic 2016 - Official Discussion Topic

Postby Yokosuka » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:32 am

fittersau wrote: No event like this should be free. Even if its a nominal fee it should be there.

Was Eurogamer there? Seems like they should have been invited as well as DualShockers.

I don't think Shibuya Productions ever offered direct invitations to the media.

Monaco is very far from Paris/London so the flight travel is expensive for everyone, especially since MAGIC covered only two ongoing games (Shenmue III and Vampyr). I myself couldn't afford the travel from where I live.

The trip worthed the price especially for mainstream media. Le Monde was there. Canal+ was there too (the same journalist who directed a TV report on Cédric Biscay and Shenmue III some months ago).
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Spaghetti » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:40 am

Esppiral wrote: I did a comparison between Shenmue 3 and Shenmue 2 assets. Hope you find it interesting.

phpBB [video]

Really interesting to see the small differences in the outside area, though we know by now that there's a lot more fine tuning of the environments to do over the next 22 months. I'm sure the Shenmue III one will be more accurate by the time the finished game comes out anyway. The interior is pretty much spot on though, wow.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby murdiaries » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:16 am

Next e3 reveal would probably be char models, I don't expect gameplay vids until next year tbh.
murdiaries
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby sshen1127 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:29 am

because if we produce a Dreamcast version and sell 3000 copies, no money can be earned, or you would have to sell it as 150 euros per copy

if they make a dreamcast version they can sell it for 300 per game . everyone here with or without dreamcast will most likely all buy it.
sshen1127
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Spaghetti » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:49 am

murdiaries wrote: Next e3 reveal would probably be char models, I don't expect gameplay vids until next year tbh.

Possibly. Yu did say he'd show us the new models soon, but I expected March Kickstarter update rather than E3. Eh, I'm okay to wait but the PayPal campaign gets a nice little boost with every new set of screens and video so...
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby DEVILLE_David » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:59 am

I wouldn't worry too much. From what I've seen, they're working on character models. ;-)

But it will probably take them more time to show us some gameplay videos.

DEVILLE_David has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
DEVILLE_David
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: RavanaEX
Currently playing: God of War

Postby James Brown » Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:07 pm

After watching that comparison video, it's clear that there is a lack of green, whenever I google Guilin, the greens are pretty vivid, and more like the Shenmue 2. I hope they change the colours slightly in this regard, but on a whole the new enviroments and interiors look amazing!
James Brown
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

XBL: skilljimmeh
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Sonoshee » Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:13 pm

fittersau wrote:Was Eurogamer there? Seems like they should have been invited as well as DualShockers.

Eurogamer with all their click baiting on Shenmue since last year, personally I hope they weren't there.

Sonoshee has received a thanks from: SheepheadCG
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby DEVILLE_David » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:21 pm

Sonoshee wrote:
fittersau wrote:Was Eurogamer there? Seems like they should have been invited as well as DualShockers.

Eurogamer with all their click baiting on Shenmue since last year, personally I hope they weren't there.

I was present during most interviews (had to talk with journalists, handle some questions etc) and Eurogamer / Dualshockers weren't there (atleast while I was around).

DEVILLE_David has received a thanks from: Sonoshee
DEVILLE_David
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: RavanaEX
Currently playing: God of War

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:26 pm

To give the devil their due, Eurogamer's report on MAGIC is shockingly reasonable.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby Spaghetti » Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:51 pm

Let's Get Sweaty wrote: To give the devil their due, Eurogamer's report on MAGIC is shockingly reasonable.

Eurogamer's reporting isn't actually that bad, it's just the title of their Yu Suzuki interview/wording of their PayPal backer hoo-ha that has annoyed me greatly in the past.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Amir » Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:26 pm

Spaghetti wrote:
Let's Get Sweaty wrote: To give the devil their due, Eurogamer's report on MAGIC is shockingly reasonable.

Eurogamer's reporting isn't actually that bad, it's just the title of their Yu Suzuki interview/wording of their PayPal backer hoo-ha that has annoyed me greatly in the past.

Yeah their interviews with Suzuki have actually been really good, both before and after the Kickstarter. Just a shame their editorial policy is to have awful clickbaity titles like every other site.
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Postby Spaghetti » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:26 pm

Amir wrote:
Spaghetti wrote:

Yeah their interviews with Suzuki have actually been really good, both before and after the Kickstarter. Just a shame their editorial policy is to have awful clickbaity titles like every other site.

Basically. No idea why games sites aren't seeing a great story in the former superstar legend game dev getting another shot at continuing his magnum opus with the overwhelming support of fans. It's a great story, and it's positive too. Games media is crazy negative in general though, it's like an epidemic of pessimism.

I'd say they hate underdogs too, but that's not really the case as indie and small devs get championed all the time. They love THEIR underdogs, and I have no clue how they decide who's worthy of that support or not.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Himuro » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:04 pm

Concentrate less on how this is presented in the media and more on Yu and his teams vision to make a great game. If it's a great game, and Sony does their end of the bargain, it will sell. Furthermore, given Sony holding stock in the ps4 version marketing, it's very likely they may eventually buy up the press for good press. The media may, eventually, be on our side. With more information available as time marches on, and as the games inherent bravado and quality shines through, much like with that linked Eurogamer article above, the media may turn around. Don't concentrate on it. Instead, just be glad we're getting more Shenmue. If the media's portrayal of Shenmue III is not how you guys prefer, work on changing it yourselves by writing your own articles and opinions on the game. The open world fatigue article is a great example.

I no longer post here, but...

Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Rikitatsu » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:30 pm

Spaghetti wrote:
Amir wrote:
Spaghetti wrote:

Basically. No idea why games sites aren't seeing a great story in the former superstar legend game dev getting another shot at continuing his magnum opus with the overwhelming support of fans. It's a great story, and it's positive too. Games media is crazy negative in general though, it's like an epidemic of pessimism.

I'd say they hate underdogs too, but that's not really the case as indie and small devs get championed all the time. They love THEIR underdogs, and I have no clue how they decide who's worthy of that support or not.

I think it's because Suzuki's legacy isn't well known to most, even journalists. Whom I suspect grew up with with their NES-es and SNES-es, completely oblivious to Suzuki's achivements on Arcades and SEGA platforms. He isn't given the respect he deserves not because he is hated, but because they are ignorant to who he is. His name has became synonymous with "yeah, the creator of that niche game Shenmue where you ride forklifts and look for sailors lol" . It's such a shame, but to the mainstream scene, Suzuki's not a "superstar legendary gamedev" ... The current journalists are either too young to have known him, or just Nintendo centered folks.
Rikitatsu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III