Monaco Magic 2016 - Official Discussion Topic

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Monaco Magic 2016 - Official Discussion Topic

Postby Yokosuka » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:04 pm

Spaghetti wrote:Basically. No idea why games sites aren't seeing a great story in the former superstar legend game dev getting another shot at continuing his magnum opus with the overwhelming support of fans. It's a great story, and it's positive too. Games media is crazy negative in general though, it's like an epidemic of pessimism.

I'd say they hate underdogs too, but that's not really the case as indie and small devs get championed all the time. They love THEIR underdogs, and I have no clue how they decide who's worthy of that support or not.

Well, there ain't no great story without drama.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby rdk_nl » Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:10 am

Rikitatsu wrote:I think it's because Suzuki's legacy isn't well known to most, even journalists. Whom I suspect grew up with with their NES-es and SNES-es, completely oblivious to Suzuki's achivements on Arcades and SEGA platforms. He isn't given the respect he deserves not because he is hated, but because they are ignorant to who he is. His name has became synonymous with "yeah, the creator of that niche game Shenmue where you ride forklifts and look for sailors lol" . It's such a shame, but to the mainstream scene, Suzuki's not a "superstar legendary gamedev" ... The current journalists are either too young to have known him, or just Nintendo centered folks.

very very well described!

I'm one of that Nintendo centered persons; but I have a wide view (not only as a gamer; but life in general)

Just like you said; I was born in 1980; and grew up with Gameboy's NES-es and SNES-es. Here in the Netherlands; we had the MasterSystem, Megadrive, but all Sega's later consoles where hard to get (extremely bad market penetration).

I played a lot in Arcades (lived in a tourist area with one of the biggest Arcade of the country).
At that moment (eraly '90s) I wasn't aware my 2 most favorite games/cabinets where from Yu Suzuki's hands.

2002~2011 I build up a huge Nintendo Collection; but wasn't very satisfied with Wii and upcomming Wii U; and the ongoing path Nintendo took.

In 2007 (halfway my Nintendo era :P ) I bought a Dreamcast and some games people from DC communities recommended like Bangai-O; Skies of Arcadia and Shenmue I and II ofcourse.

Shenmue changed my vision on videogaming; I played it in one run; was very emotional when GD3 was on it's end.
Defintely my most favorite/valuable game!

I made fans in the Shenmue community and became familiar with the creator Yu Suzuki and his other great jobs.

I have never played SII GD4 \:D/
Still have ~2 years.
rdk_nl
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Kiske » Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:02 am

DEVILLE_David wrote: I wouldn't worry too much. From what I've seen, they're working on character models. ;-)

But it will probably take them more time to show us some gameplay videos.

Talking about gameplay, did you personally have the chance to look at some gameplay?
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby DEVILLE_David » Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:45 am

Kiske wrote:
DEVILLE_David wrote: I wouldn't worry too much. From what I've seen, they're working on character models. ;-)

Talking about gameplay, did you personally have the chance to look at some gameplay?

Not yet, sorry. :mrgreen:
DEVILLE_David
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: RavanaEX
Currently playing: God of War

Postby Kiske » Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:17 am

DEVILLE_David wrote:
Kiske wrote:

Not yet, sorry. :mrgreen:

Well, there are still some suprises waiting for you too then :mrgreen:
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby Peter » Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:38 am

That why I was confused when Cedric said he had, "played" Shenmue 3. I wouldn't have thought they would have been thay far. I don't think any motion capture has even been completed.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby TerryWolf » Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:35 am

Great interview. Very interesting :)
TerryWolf
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Postby Giorgio » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:07 am

Peter wrote: That why I was confused when Cedric said he had, "played" Shenmue 3. I wouldn't have thought they would have been thay far. I don't think any motion capture has even been completed.

I think he played it like Tak Hirai is playing here: https://youtu.be/LkQiTyvkxM0?t=27s

Also, I believe we will see (real) gameplay starting around from January 2017 and onwards (close at the time the trial version will be out); 2016 will be spent mostly on prototyping and building the structure/blueprint for the final dressing of Shenmue III in 2017.
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza series

Postby drunkensailor » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:28 am

Rikitatsu wrote:
Spaghetti wrote:
Amir wrote:
Spaghetti wrote:
Let's Get Sweaty wrote: To give the devil their due, Eurogamer's report on MAGIC is shockingly reasonable.

Eurogamer's reporting isn't actually that bad, it's just the title of their Yu Suzuki interview/wording of their PayPal backer hoo-ha that has annoyed me greatly in the past.

Yeah their interviews with Suzuki have actually been really good, both before and after the Kickstarter. Just a shame their editorial policy is to have awful clickbaity titles like every other site.

Basically. No idea why games sites aren't seeing a great story in the former superstar legend game dev getting another shot at continuing his magnum opus with the overwhelming support of fans. It's a great story, and it's positive too. Games media is crazy negative in general though, it's like an epidemic of pessimism.

I'd say they hate underdogs too, but that's not really the case as indie and small devs get championed all the time. They love THEIR underdogs, and I have no clue how they decide who's worthy of that support or not.

I think it's because Suzuki's legacy isn't well known to most, even journalists. Whom I suspect grew up with with their NES-es and SNES-es, completely oblivious to Suzuki's achivements on Arcades and SEGA platforms. He isn't given the respect he deserves not because he is hated, but because they are ignorant to who he is. His name has became synonymous with "yeah, the creator of that niche game Shenmue where you ride forklifts and look for sailors lol" . It's such a shame, but to the mainstream scene, Suzuki's not a "superstar legendary gamedev" ... The current journalists are either too young to have known him, or just Nintendo centered folks.

this is far from the truth. I don't know where the concept of "everyone was nintendo" comes from but during the 16 bit era genesis was superior for most of the important periods (1991-1994) and I won't even go into europe where nintendo wasn't much more than a footnote compared to sega during the master system and megadrive era's. Only some countries had relative good sized nintendo percentages like netherlands, france and germany, but in none of those countries nintendo was more popular while in every other country, especially uk, spain, portugal and italy nintendo was nothing save for some gameboy. in fact nintendo was never really popular in europe until the wii

while in the arcades sega ruled the whole world and being a child from the 1990s I know how popular they were at least in europe then. people grew up on daytona usa, sega rally, virtua cop, virtua fighter, crazy taxi, virtua tennis, house of the dead and so many more.

also note that after the 16 bit era nintendo got relegated pretty much as well. n64 was not popular anywhere except in the us and the gamecube failed everywhere. europe moved on to sony and north america moved on to sony and microsoft.
drunkensailor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: gjb1985

Postby Spaghetti » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:36 am

Giorgio wrote:
Peter wrote: That why I was confused when Cedric said he had, "played" Shenmue 3. I wouldn't have thought they would have been thay far. I don't think any motion capture has even been completed.

I think he played it like Tak Hirai is playing here: https://youtu.be/LkQiTyvkxM0?t=27s

Also, I believe we will see (real) gameplay starting around from January 2017 and onwards (close at the time the trial version will be out); 2016 will be spent mostly on prototyping and building the structure/blueprint for the final dressing of Shenmue III in 2017.

Pretty much agree with this. Cedric likely had a run around in an early Bailu Village and not much else. That was a long while ago now that he said that though, right?

They've at least set up some basic movement, camera, and maybe conversation systems by this point, but I don't think they should show that stuff until they're nearing what they consider final. At least by the time the demo comes out they need to have that locked up, so any feedback to those elements from demo users will actually be useful in refining them, instead of just telling the team what they already know.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Peter » Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:03 am

Edit: Thanks David for the correct link. :nice!:
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Hanzumon » Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:19 pm

The Shenmue III conference was only about five minutes? Really? ](*,)
Hanzumon

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: lollipop chainsaw

Postby DEVILLE_David » Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:21 pm

Hanzumon wrote: The Shenmue III conference was only about five minutes? Really? ](*,)

Here's the link :

phpBB [video]
DEVILLE_David
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: RavanaEX
Currently playing: God of War

Postby Jibby » Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:51 pm

Wow, I still can't believe this is happening.
I can't even listen to the Shenmue theme anymore without hearing the "shing" noise where the logo was revealed in the E3 video. It's literally been burned into my mind.
This new material is so exciting. If it looks this good in a prototype stage, then I just can't imagine how good it will look upon release. Thanks to everyone involved for providing live updates and translations.

Jibby has received a thanks from: rdk_nl
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Spaghetti » Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:28 pm

To be honest, I can't wait to move away from the graphics chat into more about the gameplay, but I know we've got another six or more months of pixel peeping left.

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III