Monaco Magic 2016 - Official Discussion Topic

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Monaco Magic 2016 - Official Discussion Topic

Postby abaww » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:41 pm

Ziming wrote:
Yokosuka wrote:
Esppiral wrote: Seems that nobody noticed it, or haven't pointed to it yet, but all the footage from the MAGIC Mocaco was 21:9 instead of 16:9 I hope it doesn't mean that we will have to deal with black bars like The order 1888

I think it's just a way to put forward the artistic quality of the content. The screens are also incredibly small like if they wanted to hide something (the bland grass for instance).

A 21:9 compatibility on PC would be awesome. I don't know for Yu but it's the Kojima's favorite ratio and mine's too.

Cedric is in charge of the PC version and is aware of 21:9 aspect ratio.

Great to hear that, I just bought a new 21:9 monitor and it's awesome. :D
abaww
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Steam: abaww

Postby mrandyk » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:41 pm

Spaghetti wrote: Hm... Yu's comments on Shenmue games past III intrigues me. He's being coy, which is understandable, but I have the feeling they've got some idea in place if III is a success. Definitely ties into Cedric's comments about a million sales being their goal.

I get the impression that he would like to give us the series as it was originally meant over the course of five games, but should Shenmue 3 flop he would try to compress the remainder of the story and complete the series in Shenmue 4.
mrandyk
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Hyo Razuki » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:52 pm

@ rdk_nl:

Three lovely daughters, a beautiful wife with enough understanding for your passion for Shenmue to accompany you to MAGIC and enough money to take a family of 5 from Holland to Monaco. You're a winner, dude! You win at life. Even though I don't know you, these pictures just make me very happy for you. :D Congratulations! You must be a happy man, I guess. =D>

Especially[ the picture with Yu's mile-wide grin and these two young "2nd generation" Shenmue fans. :king: I'd totally print that one out extra large and frame it on my living room wall.

Hyo Razuki has received 2 thanks from: FlagshipFighter, rdk_nl
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Spaghetti » Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:23 pm

mrandyk wrote:
Spaghetti wrote: Hm... Yu's comments on Shenmue games past III intrigues me. He's being coy, which is understandable, but I have the feeling they've got some idea in place if III is a success. Definitely ties into Cedric's comments about a million sales being their goal.

I get the impression that he would like to give us the series as it was originally meant over the course of five games, but should Shenmue 3 flop he would try to compress the remainder of the story and complete the series in Shenmue 4.

Well the full quote says something along the lines that he doesn't want to do 6 games but is still taking a few shortcuts to compress the story, so I wouldn't say five games is "as originally intended".

I'm just speculating on what's happening behind the scenes for the future of the series really.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Master Mo » Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:30 pm

I have to say it looks amazing what they`ve showed in this event. The new places are just so lush and gorgeous and the new interior they showed off screams Shenmue.

I don`t want to be nit picky though because I know most people will say we should be grateful that Shenmue III exists in the first place but I will still address things that are irritating to me:

-The Shenhua-model: I know it is probably just a place-holder model that is not updated but I still find it very weird that Shenhua still has these sleeves on her dress. She looks very off with them.

-The logo: This got brought up quite a bit but I think they should have consistency with this. Either use the papyrus one (which I personally think is quite ugly) exclusively or the one from Shenmue I and II just adapted to Shenmue III. Choose one and stick with it.

-The Shenmue Tree: Even though I think they did a phenomenal job with Shenhuas house and the scenery surrounding it the tree is not how it was in Shenmue. It lacks majesty as of right now. I know this is work in progress but for me the first time I saw that tree was mesmerizing and the way it is depicted right now lacks most of the things it needs to have that impact again!

The way they depict the tree in Shenmue III right now is like a larger version of the cherry tree in front of the dojo. In Shenmue II you see how massively big and old the tree is. The root sticks out of the ground, massive, the tree stump partially covered in moss and the blossoms so tight surrounding it like a big crown. The tree sitting in front of Shenhuas house and that rocky cliff majestically. It felt very special!

Hopefully they will be able to invoke that feeling again when wee see Shenmue for the first time in Shenmue III in gorgeous HD.
Master Mo
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby BlueMue » Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:50 pm

I know I'm pretty late here but I just have to write about this.

I was very pleased with the screenshots and footage they presented at this event. Shenhua's house was just marvelous, both on the outside and inside. Definately the most "Shenmue" we've seen so far from Shenmue III.
Of course that's easy since it's a recreated scene from Shenmue II but the attention to detail is just astonishing. The bad side effect is that it also screams to be in a Remake, something we desire for a long time.

The grass and trees are something I have yet to adjust to. I like how full they look but they also seem more unnatural than the old flat textures in a way. But yeah, it's just way different then it used to be.

BlueMue has received 2 thanks from: Miles Prower, Shenman
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby johnvivant » Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:08 pm

i do like the way the shenmue tree branches sway in the wind. i agree that its not big enough, and they should shape it more like the original. maybe the other smaller versions of the Shenmue tree in bailu village should be more like the one in the video, but THE MAIN shenmue tree should more closely resemble the one in shen 2.

also they removed the swing seat from it.
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Hyo Razuki » Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:14 pm

As for the future of the Shenmue series, I am happy Yu isn't willing to rush the story and finish it in part 3. But on the other hand, I am not concerned about Shenmue 4, 5 or even 6 (WTF?!) right now.

I think, right now, Shenmue 3 should be our biggest worry, concerning the Shenmue series. I'm more worried about something delaying the development of S3 or making the costs of S3 explode than I am worried about S4 and so on.

I really Shibuya and Sony will make some good marketing moves and S3 will get a lot of media exposure during the months before release.

Still, I think that selling 1 million copies is a very ambitious goal, especially not knowing if physical releases will happen outside the KS/Slacker Backer campaign. Don't get me wrong, I think it's great to have ambitious goals, but we might have to live with the fact that Sega may be unwilling to make S1 & 2 HD or licence it to a third party.

Well, anyway. Right now, I think we need to contribute as much money to the Slacker Backer as we can and hope for the development to go smoothly. And Yu Suzuki and Ys Net have to work hard to make Shenmue 3 a great game. We need a great S3. After that, we have to pray for good sales figures. It is after S3's sales figures will be clear - at that point we can start worrying about S4.

Hyo Razuki has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby SMDzero » Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:28 pm

rdk_nl wrote: I got a lot of support on my way to Monaco through reactions on this Twitter Image:

It's not easy to have a trip from the Netherlands to Monaco by plane with a young family at 3:30AM on Friday 26th.

My most valuable moment of MAGIC was during the signing session; My eldest daughter was showing the Ryo Statue to Yu Suzuki (before she had a bad feeling about drawing with a permanent marker on her statue :P )
Yu pushed his Golden iPhone 6Plus to our side of the table and asked to make picture with him and the kids.

The interpreter took some pictures; 1,5hours later we discovered this tweet from Yu himself:

https://twitter.com/yu_suzuki_jp/status ... 4409245697

Thankful for the support I got from my beloved wife :heart:

That little girl stole Suzuki's shirt!!!!!!!!!!!!

SMDzero has received 4 thanks from: Axm, Hyo Razuki, Let's Get Sweaty, Yokosuka
SMDzero
Banned
Banned

Postby Yokosuka » Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:42 pm

Yu Suzuki interview at MAGIC Monaco 2016 by Gameblog.fr

http://www.gameblog.fr/interview_948_sh ... bisc/page2

Julien : Hello Mr. Suzuki. I'm glad to meet you again today, even more in these fortunate circumstances where Shenmue III finally happens!
Yu Suzuki: Thank you very much!

What progress has been made in the development after 7 work months?
YS : Nothing has obviously been done properly. At the story writing level, I can tell you that the story is done at 95%.

You've been clear about the fact that Shenmue III will not conclude the complete story of the saga. But what will be the percentage of what remains to be told in Shenmue III ?
YS : The Shenmue story in its entirety will be normally divided, from the beginning to the end, into 11 chapters. Shenmue III will cover chapter 5 and 6.

Even a Shenmue 4 might not be enough to conclude the saga. Ideally, do you think a fifth or even a sixth episode would be necessary at this rate ?
YS : No, I wouldn't go that far ! Rather than going until Shenmue 6, I would like to rearrange things in order to reach the end sooner, even if it means to take some shortcuts... No I don't want to go until a sixth episode.

Five is the ideal ?
YS : I can't tell you more. Anyway I would like to especially focus on the third at the moment !

In the Kickstarter, a "trial version" has been mentioned. It's a playable demo which will be offered to the backers before the Shenmue III release. Have you an idea about when you will be able to bring it to us?
YS : This year, I fear that will be pretty complicated. It will be next year.

Can you tell us when Shenmue III will begin exactly?
YS : It will be just after the Shenmue II end.

Do you mean it will begin exactly there? In the cave?
YS : All I can tell you is that I don't want to skip a chapter. For instance, it might be the day after the Shenmue II end.

You talked about a lot of stuff during the conference like the combat system but not the QTEs. How will they evolve in Shenmue III?
YS : Yes that's true, I would like to add a new system to the QTEs. I will test different things to see what happens, then I keep the best. It's difficult to tell you more before the tests end.

But could these new systems change our habits?
YS : No, not that far. It would rather be an "advanced" QTE system. What would be revolutionary is to create QTEs in a world where they don't exist yet. Here, they do. The idea is more about adding things to what it exists. Ideally, I would like to create revolutionary things beyond the QTEs level. But with a release planned for 2017, the time is limited. I wonder if introducing them would be possible.

Can we get some precisions about these possible new features? Are they linked with the free battle for instance?
YS : Yes it might involve the combat systems. But above all, there is a new interface system and I'm thinking a lot about it. But I'm not sure yet if I can implement it in time. So I'm unable to tell you more.

It's so mysterious and exciting ! Let's go on to another topic. Can you give us precisions about the Shenmue I & II flashbacks which will occur in Shenmue 3?
YS : For instance, these flashbacks will occur at moments when Ryo touches objects that make him thinking about some things and memories. The kind of this.

So, will these flashbacks be videos captured from the previous episodes or fresh cutscenes powered by the new engine in order to keep a visual unity?
YS : I'm not sure yet but according the time it would require to make these cutscenes with the new engine, I fear that would take too much time. Once again, the remaining development time might be problematic.

I have a pretty specific question about something I loved in Shenmue 1 and disappeared in Shenmue 2. It's about the possibility to practice alone, for instance on the parking, then see the level of each move goes up... Will we be able to do so in Shenmue III ?
YS : Hmmm...

It was awesome! You have to make this happening in Shenmue III !
YS : I'll remember this!

I also would like to know if we will find back the same pace than the two first episodes. The same progression based on investigation where you had to ask questions to that person, who told us to meet another one, etc.
YS : Yes we'll continue in that direction. However the general feel is going to change as some systems will evolve.

Will you continue the idea of giving absolutely an identity to each NPC with their own house, workplace and individual schedule ?
YS : We will see if we can make it for all of them. In any case, that's what I want, yes.

My interview deadline has already expired. Here a little bonus question: at the Shenmue I end, Guizhang told to Ryo to leave Japan without him and said he will join him later... Does it mean we'll find back this character in Shenmue III?
YS : It's not planned at the moment.

Thank you Mr. Suzuki and good luck for the future!
YS : Thank you!

Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Hanzumon » Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:49 pm

@ Yokosuka:

Great Interview. Thank you very much ;)
Hanzumon
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: lollipop chainsaw

Postby Spaghetti » Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:36 pm

That clears up any worries of a timeskip.

I would like Yu to have the development time to implement his Advanced QTE system though, it sounds like it would try to bring more freedom to QTE systems which would solve some complaints about this function in games today.

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Amir » Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:48 pm

Just to clarify, we didn't discuss Shenmue HD at the weekend. We sat in on an interview where someone did ask about it, and it was the same answer as before, i.e. it's up to SEGA. So keep up with the #SaveShenmueHD campaign!

Amir has received a thanks from: Let's Get Sweaty
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Postby Axm » Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:50 pm

Yokosuka thank you for the interview! GREAT JOB!
Also wow, Guizang.. I guess he doesnt want to spoil things for us. But I imagine he will eventually come back. If not in 3 then in 4 or 5.
Cant believe we might actually have a Shenmue 5! Haha 4 was already hard to cope with. But you know what, I trust the process and Yu Suzuki. The story should be fleshed out in his vision only. I think we will have it all.

Yokosuka wrote: Gameblog : We recently got an interview with Phil Spencer. He told us that he met Yu Suzuki before things have been settled with Sony, that some things happen and some other ones not, that all cannot be done. Then you reacted pretty curtly on Twitter. Can you tell more about what happened ?
Cédric Biscay : What it made me a bit annoyed is that he was like to say it was our fault. But it's not. Things haven't been made because he didn't have the arguments which would have make this possible. He didn't have the adequate offer to be considered.

So, he made you an offer but you found it inadequate ?
CB : Well in any case, the content of the discussions was not enough. At the timing level, they also woke up a bit late.

Then while you're discussing with Sony, you felt a lot more of enthusiasm ?
CB : Sony has immediately been a super partner. They wanted to do it. They proposed to do something exceptional at the E3. Like them or not, they really support Shenmue III.

source : http://www.gameblog.fr/news/57133-shenm ... ric-biscay

The remaining part tomorrow.

Always knew it. MS really just couldn't care to lift a finger be it monetary, promotional or both. Meanwhile Sony does what Sony has been doing this generation. Be pro-gamer, pro-3rd party support and pro-common sense.
Last edited by Axm on Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Spaghetti » Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:58 pm

From the Google translate version of the Cedric interview:

GB: To quickly return to my question about Shenmue Saturn, this is of assets owned by SEGA, and I wonder if they really all open their doors for you?

CB: Yes of course, and that's thanks to Yu Suzuki. They opened the doors, but obviously we can not do what we want. We must negotiate with them to know what to use, etc.

I know this is referring to Shenmue Saturn, but it can also explain the Papyrus Shenmue font. The original logo is part of the assets provided by SEGA and they must be negotiated with each time regarding its use. To save time I imagine the Papyrus logo is their way of giving the game a recognisable logo for use at short notice without having to negotiate with SEGA all the time.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III