Yu Suzuki: Le Maitre de Sega - Book Review

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Yu Suzuki: Le Maitre de Sega - Book Review

Postby Hyo Razuki » Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:24 pm

Hi everyone! I just finished reading Benjamin Berget's extensive Yu Suzuki Biography and since an English version of the book is coming too, I wanted to share some thoughts about the book with the Shenmue community. Here we go!

First off, the presentation of the book is outstanding and far more than one can expect from a small publisher such as Geeks Line. The book comes in a beautiful book jacket with the words "Yu Suzuki" printed in a slightly convex way which gives the reader an interesting feeling while touching the book's cover. The paper is pearly white and the font size makes it a very agreeable reading experience. The book spans 500 pages plus a roundabout 30 color print pages which show pictures of advertisement flyers for Yu's Arcade machines. The quality of those pictures is very good and the colors come out vividly. Unfortunately there are no pictures of Yu Suzuki himself in the book.

The book's content covers Yu's entire life starting with his childhood in a small coastal town, his beginnings at Sega, Yu at the peak of his power at Sega in the late 90's/early 2000's all the way till the emotional E3 followed by the succesfull KS campaign for Shenmue 3 earlier this year.

As a long time Yu Suzuki fanboy, I wasn't expecting a lot of new information from the book, but there was actually a lot of small details in the book which I had either previously overlooked or forgotten about as time went by. Anyway, Benjamin Berget did one hell of a job accumulating heaps of old interviews from magazines dating back as far as the 80's and also loads of online interviews and other source material.

Also, I think most western readers didn't know a lot about Yu Suzuki's early years, unless they were able to read Japanese and thus understand Yu Suzuki Game Works. I found it really interesting to learn that Yu was a die hard fan of Ritchie Blackmore's in the 70's and in his teenage years spent most of his time practing guitar, trying to become a guitar hero just like Blackmore. But fortunately for all of us, just before the final exams in high school were about to happen and with his parents worried about his long hair and indifferent attitude towards studying, young Yu came to the conclusion that despite all his dilligent practice, he lacked the musical talent to become a rockstar. So our Yu got a haircut and enrolled for programming in University. The rest is history.

Benjamin Berget covers all the games of Yu's career, regardless if he was involved as a director, producer, supervisor or something completely different. He gives detailed information about the development, the technical specifications of each arcade machine, the console conversions and the commercial performance (sales) of each game. That alone is an achievement in itself but it is the small anecdotes and details where Berget's book shines. Hitting the letter G in the fourth stage of Hang-On gives you a million extra points, not just Nintendo but also Sega was super close to striking a deal with Sony in the early 90s but the narrow-minded executives of Sega of Japan fucked it up which led to Sony taking bitter revenge on both Sega and Nintedo by releasing the Playstation. Yu worked for Lockheed as an advisor and helped them create a tank simulator of which Sega released a civilian version as "Desert Tank". Shenmue 3 was almost announced for Xbox at E3 2004 and for some reason we still don't really know the announcement got cancelled at the very last minute. Yu initially wanted to do a Shenmue 3 Kickstarter in 2012, but Sega asked too much for the license.

Granted, all those things may not be new to some of us but as I said before I had either forgotten or never learned about them. And God, how much this book made me hate Peter "I put the nail in the Dreamcast's coffin in order to take its IPs to Xbox" Moore and Hajime "I want Sonic on my Pachinko machines to seduce a younger audience to gambling" Satomi and Sammy again. :lol: Yeah, I know, I need to calm down and there's nothing I can do about Peter Moore being an asshole and Sammy being a money-grubbing piece of shit company which unfortunately has taken over Sega. :D Still, the truth needs to be said from time to time. :)

Shenmue gets most attention of all games in this book with S1 & 2 being covered in a massive 100 pages chapter, Shenmue Online and it's cancellation being examined in great detail and Shenmue 3 being the finishing sub-chapter of the book with about a dozen pages. I also found particularly interesting the way Yu underwent the development of Shenmue. He first took a ton of location pictures which he showed them to the composers (Mitsuyoshi, Iuchi, Koshiro and so on) who he would then ask to compose some music for those locations. After they were done, Yu listened to what the composers had created and when he found a track he liked, he would play it to everybody involved (graphic artists, programmers,etc.). He asked them to listen closely and to go to work with the music in mind. In that sense, Shenmue's development started with its music and the incredible athmosphere could be created because everybody had the music in mind while working on Shenmue.

With its sheer amount of information and all his little dietails, this book is a great read for every Yu Suzuki fan and all those interested in Sega or Shenmue. However there is one thing about the book I didn't like one bit. While the price (25 Euros) is reasonable, the binding is very cheaply executed and very poor quality. Geeks-Line really need to find a new partner for their bindings. I read about 20 to 30 books a year, some digital but most of the still physical. I have never before experienced this with a new book. I have only read it once and I've treated my copy in an absolutely normal way but still the binding is so bad, some of the pages just came loose and fell out of the book! :no: :2gunfire: :letitallout:

However, I'd like to stress, that this is in no way related to Benjamin Berget's work or the contents and reading value of the book. It's an issue the publisher needs to deal with.

I advise every Shenmue fan to read the book, but if you buy the original version, treat your copy with extra care. Hopefully the English language publisher will do a better job with the binding.

Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Re: Yu Suzuki: Le Maitre de Sega - Book Review

Postby LucBu » Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:34 pm

So Shenmue 3 was pitched in 2012 but Sega asked for too much money. Sega, for shame.

Also, mind spilling more details on Peter Moore being a dick?

Thanks for the read.
LucBu
Master of the Three Blades

Postby NeoShredder » Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:45 pm

Excellent review Hyo! I'd heard about Lockheed Martin supplying the chip for Virtua Fighter board but didn't even know about the Desert Tank game.

I'd guess there were no images of Yu because it is unauthorized, and I guess the book generally must be taken with a pinch of salt. Mind you, wouldn't get the inside scoop like this if it was.

Might pick this up!
NeoShredder
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PSN: NeoShredder5
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Amir » Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:25 pm

Funny coincidence, I was on my way back from lunch at my uncle's, was trying to explain Yu Suzuki to him, then I read in Hyo's book review that Suzuki was a huge Blackmore fan. My uncle is really into Deep Purple and Rainbow, and liked Suzuki tried to pick up the guitar before going into coding instead.

We know that Suzuki first heard about Kickstarter in 2012 from Ryan Payton after Republique was Kickstarted that year, but I can't see how he would have wanted to launch his own Kickstarter that same year without more research and planning being done first.

The E3 2004 Xbox rumour is an interesting one as that was one E3 rumour out of the many that really seemed to gain a lot of traction, but I can't see it ever having been greenlit for that console after Shenmue II performed so poorly on it.
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Postby Giorgio » Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:16 pm

I want to see Yu-san as a rebellious teenager with long hair, haha.

Hyo Razuki wrote: [...] the narrow-minded executives of Sega of Japan fucked it up which led to Sony taking bitter revenge on both Sega and Nintedo by releasing the Playstation. [...]

And now Shenmue 3 is supported by Sony and it is going to be on the PlayStation 4 console. 8)

Hyo Razuki wrote: [...] Yu initially wanted to do a Shenmue 3 Kickstarter in 2012, but Sega asked too much for the license.
Hyo Razuki wrote: [...] Hajime "I want Sonic on my Pachinko machines to seduce a younger audience to gambling" Satomi and Sammy again.

This is brilliant (and old quote on this):
Hyo Razuki wrote: [...] the way Yu underwent the development of Shenmue. He first took a ton of location pictures which he showed them to the composers (Mitsuyoshi, Iuchi, Koshiro and so on) who he would then ask to compose some music for those locations. After they were done, Yu listened to what the composers had created and when he found a track he liked, he would play it to everybody involved (graphic artists, programmers,etc.). He asked them to listen closely and to go to work with the music in mind. In that sense, Shenmue's development started with its music and the incredible athmosphere could be created because everybody had the music in mind while working on Shenmue.

Giorgio has received a thanks from: Hyo Razuki
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza series

Postby shredingskin » Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:24 pm

Hyo Razuki wrote: I found it really interesting to learn that Yu was a die hard fan of Ritchie Blackmore's

8) 8)
Fuck yeah.

At least SEGA gave him the license (eventually), and Yu-san had the huevos to keep going.

Great review man, thank you.

shredingskin has received a thanks from: Hyo Razuki
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Hyo Razuki » Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:03 pm

Just to try to answer some of the questions quickly. I have to work early tomorrow so I'll have to go to bed soon.

The question about the 2012 KS: Maybe my wording was a bit cofusing. I don't really know how far Yu's plans for a KS went back in 2012 but Cedirc Biscay said he would have liked to do it back then. Here's the quote (page 470 in the book).

So it starts with some guy from Sumo Digital asking why Yu doesn't use KS to get S3 going. Benjamin Berget then quotes Cedric Biscay for the answer. In his footnote (footnote 404), Berget hints at a May 9th 2012 article which he calls "Le financement de Shenmue III par les fans via Kickstarter". So here's what Cedric allegedly said:

Yu Suzuki est bien entendu au courant des operations du type Kickstarter, mais la licence appartient a SEGA qui n'envisage pas cette option, et qui lachera pas cette licence sans contrepartie.

My attempt at a translation. Take it with a grain of salt. I'm neither a native speaker in English nor in French. :lol:

YS is of course up-to-date with things like KS but the license belongs to Sega who have no plans for that option and will not let go off the license without a trade-off.

So to me it seems Yu just lacked the funds to make the KS happen back in 12. Maybe Sega asked for some money up front (before the start of the KS) or asked for too much so it took Yu 3 years to scrape together enough cash to attain the license.

About Peter Moore: The idea of leaving the console business first came from Sega of America and initially led to all Japanese executives leaving the room without saying a word when first introduced at a conference. One of the most passionate adversaries of leaving the console market was Yuji Naka. It seems that on one occasion Peter Moore told the interpreter to tell Naka to go fuck himself.

Also Moore became VP of Microsoft's video game division after leaving Sega and took with himself Shenmue 2's exclusivity for the US market which became a desaster for the franchise as a whole. Microsoft basically didn't do as much marketing for the game as they had promised and didn't even publish the European version but left it to French publisher Infogrames who screwed up. In the end Big Ben Interactive had to take over the PAL version publishing and Shenmue 2X came to Europe as late as October 2003, as far as I remember.

I'll give you guys the exact quotes from the book about Moore and the other questions next week, but for now, I have to go to bed. :)

Hyo Razuki has received a thanks from: LucBu
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Yokosuka » Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:08 pm

Your translation is accurate. Looks like the negotiations turned around the amount of royalties. If Sega "gave" him finally the licence, that does not mean it was necessarily made freely.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby LucBu » Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:12 pm

About Peter Moore: The idea of leaving the console business first came from Sega of America and initially led to all Japanese executives leaving the room without saying a word when first introduced at a conference. One of the most passionate adversaries of leaving the console market was Yuji Naka. It seems that on one occasion Peter Moore told the interpreter to tell Naka to go fuck himself.

Moore is dick. A talentless, opportunistic fuck. This book is interesting. I'm looking forward to any details Hyo.

EDIT* Didn't realize this was actually already known. I'm behind the times. Still interested in those details Hyo. :)
LucBu

Postby Zoltor » Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:23 pm

Yokosuka wrote: Your translation is accurate. Looks like the negotiations turned around the amount of royalties. If Sega "gave" him finally the licence, that does not mean it was necessarily made freely.

Sigh that's screwed up, thought Sega gave such to him for free, as a thank you to Yu, for all that he has done for them. Although according to the book, Yu basically had to drop to his knees, begging.

Considering how accurately it covers other things, that most of the industry seem to usually ignore, I'm incline to believe that factual as well.

I really hope this book gets a English release
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby shredingskin » Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:27 pm

It's business they haven't done a thing with the IP (but that it's worthy).

By giving him the IP for a third they made a lot of virtual money on the IP worth.

But yeah, this is the real win of the Shenmue community, we did what Rare and Konami (lol) didn't do.

Great move by SEGA, keep those you love close to you.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Sonoshee » Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:56 pm

Zoltor wrote:
Yokosuka wrote: Your translation is accurate. Looks like the negotiations turned around the amount of royalties. If Sega "gave" him finally the licence, that does not mean it was necessarily made freely.

Sigh that's screwed up, thought Sega gave such to him for free, as a thank you to Yu, for all that he has done for them. Although according to the book, Yu basically had to drop to his knees, begging.

Same. Not only Sega, but us as well, owe this man so much.
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Amir » Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:43 pm

Here's the Sumo Digital guy rhetorically asking about a Shenmue III Kickstarter: http://videogamewriters.com/sega-all-st ... rter-45797

Here's Biscay with the "contrepartie" quote: http://shenmueangel.free.fr/news2.php?id=315

And here's another post from Biscay on the Shenmue Master Facebook from April 2013: https://www.facebook.com/Shenmue.Master ... 8789002463

He says that the photo with Mark Cerny was just a publicity shot for GDC 2013 (i.e. no confirmation of deal with Sony), and that Suzuki is thinking about Kickstarter as well as trying to find funding partners and convincing Sega.

Here's more context to Moore telling Naka to fuck off: http://www.gamesradar.com/when-peter-mo ... yuji-naka/

Amir has received 4 thanks from: Giorgio, sand4fish, shredingskin, Yokosuka
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Postby sand4fish » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:36 pm

^ Thanks so much Amir for providing back up sources!

And thanks Hyo for the extensive review! I mean to ask if you know if this book is an authorized biography and if there are sources backing up every quote written on this book? Thanks again!
Last edited by sand4fish on Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby SegaMon » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:41 am

Thanks Hyo for sharing all of that information. I didn't realize just how much pain we can give thanks to Peter Moore for. He truly was a large reason for Shenmue's poor sales. Shenmue 2 on the Xbox was a poor move as it may have actually sold better if it was released on the Dream cast in the U.S.
SegaMon
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Currently playing: Zelda: Skyward Sword

Next

Return to Shenmue III