Yu Suzuki in China promoting Shenmue 3 (Video Included)

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Yu Suzuki in China promoting Shenmue 3 (Video Included)

Postby Amir » Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:35 am

Jibby wrote:
Amir wrote:
Spaghetti wrote: still using shameful papyrus font.

This I cannot defend. What is going on there? Are there rights issues with using the old Shenmue logo? We saw it at E3, but then Jibby was asked to use the awful Papyrus one instead for his Kickstarter video. Maybe this is one of those things Sega is being a dick about. Really hope it's not Suzuki's choice, if it is one of us needs to break it to him that it might as well be in Comic Sans...

If that ends up on the box art I think I'll just keep the disc and toss the case somewhere it can't be seen.

Completely agree here. Even if Yu Suzuki can't use the original logo, surely he and his team can come up with something better as the current one is just awful, generic and doesn't give off the Shenmue feel at all.

What makes it even worse is that the original logo is in the bottom left of the slides, tucked away out of sight.

I'd even take something like this if we can't get the original logo, at least it's not Papyrus:

Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Postby drunkensailor » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:47 pm

is there any reason though to believe anything chinese would be interested in funding this? china I don't think has evern funded anything gamingwise that isn't chinese
drunkensailor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: gjb1985

Postby Jibby » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:57 pm

drunkensailor wrote: is there any reason though to believe anything chinese would be interested in funding this? china I don't think has evern funded anything gamingwise that isn't chinese

With the recent unbanning of video games consoles, you can't deny that there's potential. Plus, there are lots of wealthy business people in China, so it's worth a shot regardless.
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby drunkensailor » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:46 pm

Jibby wrote:
drunkensailor wrote: is there any reason though to believe anything chinese would be interested in funding this? china I don't think has evern funded anything gamingwise that isn't chinese

With the recent unbanning of video games consoles, you can't deny that there's potential. Plus, there are lots of wealthy business people in China, so it's worth a shot regardless.

before 2001 there also wasn't a ban and everyone had fake dreamcasts with burned games. I know because my best friend back then was chinese and his dad would always go to hong kong and shanghai and take literally all games there were with him which he bought in shops that were all bootlegs, so how is that changed now? I doubt it has.
drunkensailor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: gjb1985

Postby Trent » Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:31 pm

Did someone try to translate the following page with Google Translation ? It could be interesting to understand the chapters and to bring some answers in this topic : viewtopic.php?f=5&t=48975
http://games.qq.com/a/20151116/029040.htm

Shenmue" Molding - from press to press sections of the upper and lower volumes sold on sale

Yu Suzuki to the contents of the 11 chapters of the novel, produced a conceptual design of each chapter. These concepts figures, the first figure is the "Shenmue" generation of Yokosuka, the story is the protagonist from Yokosuka to Hong Kong. Contrast these concepts figure we'll find, "Shenmue 2" and uses a part of the fifth chapter, and "Shenmue 3" intended to chapter V as a starting point. Of course, these are not even.

On "Shenmue 3" game plot, the choice of fiction screenplay Chapters 5 and 6 to build the content of the game.
Trent
Shenmue Master Staff
Shenmue Master Staff

Postby Technophilz » Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:31 pm

CoughShenmueOnlineCough
Technophilz
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Shenmue IIx

Postby TheSonicRetard » Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:31 pm

China is getting big into gaming. Offhand, they just bought SNK and have announced a new KOF, and tencent has made plenty of deals with western companies.

Plus, the series itself is a love letter to chinese culture.

drunkensailor wrote:so how is that changed now? I doubt it has.

The exact same way that Russia used to be a hotbed of piracy during the exact same time, and now is the top non-western market for digital games in the world. Aggressive, low-cost push by big PC players.

You doubt it's changed? I doubt it hasn't.

TheSonicRetard has received a thanks from: SheepheadCG
TheSonicRetard
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby Jibby » Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:44 am

drunkensailor wrote:
Jibby wrote:

before 2001 there also wasn't a ban and everyone had fake dreamcasts with burned games. I know because my best friend back then was chinese and his dad would always go to hong kong and shanghai and take literally all games there were with him which he bought in shops that were all bootlegs, so how is that changed now? I doubt it has.

Alright, that's all well and good when you could literally just burn a game to a CD-R, pop it in the Dreamcast and away you go. Things have changed. Piracy on consoles is no easy task anymore. I still see potential.
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Amir » Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:55 am

I remember seeing Treamcasts in my video game stores in Abu Dhabi as a kid and laughing at them, thinking who would buy such a hunk of crap.

Now I see them going for tons of money on eBay :(
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby gakucho » Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:47 am

Yu Suzuki Reveals Shenmue 3 Prototype(Completed version ) created by Chinese shenmue fans club
https://twitter.com/mantisjojo/status/666925117096660992

gakucho has received 6 thanks from: Amir, fittersau, johnvivant, SledgeNE, Technophilz, Yokosuka
gakucho
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Amir » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:00 am

gakucho wrote: Yu Suzuki Reveals Shenmue 3 Prototype(Completed version ) created by Chinese shenmue fans club
https://twitter.com/mantisjojo/status/666925117096660992

Video embed for the lazy:

phpBB [video]

Amir has received a thanks from: fittersau
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Amir » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:05 am

Screengrabs of gifts for Yu Suzuki along with fan art (not sure how much of art was given as gifts or is simply fan art from Chinese Shenmue community):

More here: http://imgur.com/a/LPDAA

Amir has received 2 thanks from: fittersau, Yokosuka
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Spaghetti » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:16 am

Amir wrote:

This I cannot defend. What is going on there? Are there rights issues with using the old Shenmue logo? We saw it at E3, but then Jibby was asked to use the awful Papyrus one instead for his Kickstarter video. Maybe this is one of those things Sega is being a dick about. Really hope it's not Suzuki's choice, if it is one of us needs to break it to him that it might as well be in Comic Sans...

If that ends up on the box art I think I'll just keep the disc and toss the case somewhere it can't be seen.

Well it was used during the E3 announcement, and as already said, it's on the presentation slides in the corner. I think I've seen in on a few production documents shown in pictures too. I don't know why they're using papyrus but I don't think it'll end up on the cover. It can't. Maybe it's just for readability purposes?
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Amir » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:22 am

Spaghetti wrote:
Amir wrote:

Well it was used during the E3 announcement, and as already said, it's on the presentation slides in the corner. I think I've seen in on a few production documents shown in pictures too. I don't know why they're using papyrus but I don't think it'll end up on the cover. It can't. Maybe it's just for readability purposes?

I think he can use what he wants for PowerPoints, though (look at all the Shenmue I and II footage, etc.). Hopefully someone comes up with a better title design and submits it to Ys Net.
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Spaghetti » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:31 am

Amir wrote:
Spaghetti wrote:
Amir wrote:

I think he can use what he wants for PowerPoints, though (look at all the Shenmue I and II footage, etc.). Hopefully someone comes up with a better title design and submits it to Ys Net.

I think we'll get the Shenmue logo we all know and love in the end. If it hadn't been used at all during the Kickstarter campaign I might have some doubt, but sporadic appearances combined with SEGA handing over a significant amount, if not all the existing assets of Shenmue for Yu to use as reference for 3, I can't see any real reason why the logo would be exempt.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III