Kickstarter Monthly update

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Kickstarter Monthly update

Postby Sonoshee » Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:47 pm

Esppiral wrote: Looking at the current 3d models for shenhua and ryo I can't help but thing that at least the artist responsible for those aren't Japanese at all, just comparing it to the output of western and japanese developers it is pretty clear to my eyes that they aren't japanese/asian.

I know we've got Shenhua's 3D modeller back, but what about the original modeller of Ryo...Any idea what he's upto these days? This would make the whole thing a lot less daunting.
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Spaghetti » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:03 pm

Sonoshee wrote:
Esppiral wrote: Looking at the current 3d models for shenhua and ryo I can't help but thing that at least the artist responsible for those aren't Japanese at all, just comparing it to the output of western and japanese developers it is pretty clear to my eyes that they aren't japanese/asian.

I know we've got Shenhua's 3D modeller back, but what about the original modeller of Ryo...Any idea what he's upto these days? This would make the whole thing a lot less daunting.

It's likely the 3D modellers worked on several characters. Shenhua's modeller could have worked on any number of models, but I suppose considering Shenhua was 'main cast' and one of the more detailed models, it's likely the modeller may have done Ryo's model too.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Kiske » Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:59 am

Spaghetti wrote:
shredingskin wrote: I just hope UE don't make all the characters "glossy", like most videogames.

Define glossy? The UE3 shine on everything is gone, but there is subsurface scattering now which is meant to replicate the look of skin, but it can give a kind shiny look.

If I'm not wrong, "Life Is Strange" uses UE4.

The "rain" effect is strange indeed, if that's what shredingskin talks about.

Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Spaghetti » Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:31 am

Kiske wrote:
Spaghetti wrote:
shredingskin wrote: I just hope UE don't make all the characters "glossy", like most videogames.

Define glossy? The UE3 shine on everything is gone, but there is subsurface scattering now which is meant to replicate the look of skin, but it can give a kind shiny look.

If I'm not wrong, "Life Is Strange" uses UE4.

The "rain" effect is strange indeed, if that's what shredingskin talks about.

That might be a stylistic/technical choice. It's hard to tell, I don't think there are all that many commercially available UE4 games out there to look at for other examples. We know it's a very versatile engine though with highly customisable shaders.

Examples:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gC0PdspqNYk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFPOsnC_ETQ
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Scrounder » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:05 am

Life is Strange uses Unreal 3 -- and Unreal 4 is a billion times better.
Scrounder
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Spaghetti » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:22 am

Scrounder wrote: Life is Strange uses Unreal 3 -- and Unreal 4 is a billion times better.

Ah! Yes, you're right.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby shredingskin » Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:27 pm

The default skin shader is pretty "glossy", you can tweak the regular pbr parameters, so they can do it "not that glossy".

But it's gonna look very different than the original.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Spaghetti » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:13 pm

shredingskin wrote: The default skin shader is pretty "glossy", you can tweak the regular pbr parameters, so they can do it "not that glossy".

Nearly 20 years removed from 1999, and after about 2.5 console hardware generations later, it was always going to look different than the original no matter the engine.

Once we start seeing more final assets I think we'll see more of the "Shenmue"-ness. Yu said a lot of the current assets are placeholders for the sake of prototyping mechanics, and we all know how he feels about those E3 Ryo and Shenhua models.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby shredingskin » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:38 pm

The thing I'm worried about it's that it can look generic.

I've used a couple of times UE, and it's freaking awesome, but I hope they don't conform to the regular shaders (has a pretty damn good node editor).

Maybe I'm just getting stupidly nostalgic right now (but the same I said about the jacket, the new material they did was pretty generic).
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Sh3ppy » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:50 pm

Spaghetti wrote:
shredingskin wrote: The default skin shader is pretty "glossy", you can tweak the regular pbr parameters, so they can do it "not that glossy".

Nearly 20 years removed from 1999, and after about 2.5 console hardware generations later, it was always going to look different than the original no matter the engine.

Once we start seeing more final assets I think we'll see more of the "Shenmue"-ness. Yu said a lot of the current assets are placeholders for the sake of prototyping mechanics, and we all know how he feels about those E3 Ryo and Shenhua models.

Apologies if I'm being dense, but I wasn't aware Yu had spoken about the models used at E3. What is it he said about them? Cheers.
Sh3ppy
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PSN: rambleon11

Postby shredingskin » Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:00 pm

That he knows that weren't "right" or something like that. And he'll make Shenhua better.

shredingskin has received a thanks from: Sh3ppy
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Sh3ppy » Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:44 pm

shredingskin wrote: That he knows that weren't "right" or something like that. And he'll make Shenhua better.

Cheers
Sh3ppy
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Spaghetti » Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:24 pm

Overall, I think Yu knows what looks like Shenmue and what doesn't. I don't think the final product will look out of place next to the originals, if you ignore the obvious technology gap.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Sh3ppy » Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:32 pm

I agree. I'm really looking forward to seeing the finalised, or close to finished, Ryo model.
Sh3ppy
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Spaghetti » Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:42 pm

Sh3ppy wrote: I agree. I'm really looking forward to seeing the finalised, or close to finished, Ryo model.

I think we'll at least get to see the progress by February when the Magic Monaco update rolls out, so not too long to wait to see some change.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III