Random Shenmue III Thoughts

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Random Shenmue III Thoughts

Postby Kiske » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:18 am

Spaghetti wrote: Seems like a repost (video theft?) of an old Super Bunnyhop video from July 2015.

*owned*

Thanks for the "Hawk Eye" Spags! :heart:

Kiske has received a thanks from: Spaghetti
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Ziming » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:20 pm

phpBB [video]

Ziming
Banned
Banned

Postby Switch » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:33 am

Spaghetti wrote: https://www.famitsu.com/news/201703/09128374.html

The Famitsu interview with Cedric is now online. There's some Shenmue III stuff halfway down.

Google Translate's wonky take:

Shibuya Productions is also involved in the development of " Shen Mu 3 ", why did you become involved in " Shen Mu 3 "?
Bis Kai was originally a " Shen Mu " fan, playing "1", "2", I was very sorry that there was no "3". So, whenever I see the European event with Mr. Hiroshi Suzuki, I was jokingly asking "Is Shenmue 3 still"?

- Originally, we had a chance to interact with Suzuki.
As Vizukai Suzuki san, he was always proceeding with other projects as Shibuya Productions . Unfortunately the project was gone, but when I heard that " Shenmue 3 " development took on reality, I decided to be involved as Shibuya Productions. That is before Kickstarter's support recruitment began.

- Specifically , how is involved in " Shen Mu 3 "?
Biscay <a As a Co - producer as one of the investors, i = 23> I am checking whether development is proceeding smoothly or not.

- I think that many fans are interested, but how is the current development situation?
Biscay is doing fine. As long as Mr. Suzuki's wrist breaks, I think that I will proceed as planned! Please look forward to.

Seems Cedric still thinks the December release can happen, if Yu & co work hard enough?

Almost done with translating the interview which should help straighten out some of the kinks introduced by Mr Google. Up tomorrow.

Update: now ready. I've made a thread for it here.
Last edited by Switch on Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Switch has received 4 thanks from: John Doom, KidMarine, Mr357, Spaghetti
Switch
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Spaghetti » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:47 pm

Thanks Switch!
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby celsowm » Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:14 pm

Ziming wrote:
phpBB [video]

celsowm has received 3 thanks from: Mr357, Spaghetti, Switch
celsowm
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: celsowmbr
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Anonymous81 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:58 pm

As long as Mr. Suzuki's wrist breaks, I think that I will proceed as planned! Please look forward to.

Lmao! Let's not work the poor man THAT hard.

Anonymous81 has received 2 thanks from: John Doom, Switch
Anonymous81
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Witcher 3

Postby Spaghetti » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:57 pm

https://youtu.be/T6fVDAjs9f0?t=34

Me, thinking about Shenmue III.

Spaghetti has received 4 thanks from: Anonymous81, FlagshipFighter, kkenny23, SickOctopus
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Kiske » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:11 am

Ziming wrote:
phpBB [video]

This is... this is... awesome! :heart:
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby Spaghetti » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:41 am

Just caught up on a UE4 panel from this year's GDC about animation and physics, and it included a short piece on a procedural generation process for NPCs using a technology called Gene Splicer. Procedural generation of NPCs isn't a new thing, but Gene Splicer pulls from a database of face-scanned features into a user friendly artist's tool that mimics a character creator in video games. The results are pretty impressive. It happens about 40 minutes into the video showcase.

Just got me thinking about how we found out Shenmue III may be using procedural generation for its NPCs because of something left on a whiteboard in some photos from last year in the studio (during Cedric's visit, I think?). No idea if they're using this technology or if it'd be appropriate to do so, but it's an interesting little connection all the same.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby O Rei do Frango Assado » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:18 am

I'm really hoping that, in Shenmue 3, they won't be using Japanese character variants in Chinese writing, as they did in Shenmue 2.
I'm talking about stuff like this:

Notice, in the fist pic, the 図 instead of 圖, and, in the second pic, on the red sign on the right, the 広 instead of 廣.

Now, when I played Shenmue 2, all those years ago, on the Dreamcast, I didn't notice any of that. But a lot has happened in the meantime and one of the things that happened is that I've learned Chinese, learned about China, lived and studied there and travelled all over the country. And while this means that now I'll be able to appreciate lots of new details in Shenmue 2 (waiting for the HD remaster to replay it, hopefully, not in vain) and in Shenmue 3, it also means that Japanese character variants in China stick out like a sore thumb. That's what happened when I came across these screenshots. And there are probably more examples. I'm pretty sure I've also seen a 仏 instead of 佛 (Buddha) in some screenshot too.

Frankly, I think they really dropped the ball on this one and find it very odd that, considering the fact that they even used real-world weather data for Yokosuka in 86, 87 (which, while a cool story, adds nothing to the experience, to be honest), they went ahead and used Japanese character variants for writing in China.

Also, since, as far as we know, Shenmue 3 will be set entirely in mainland China, they should use the simplified writing system which is used over there (thanks, commies!). For instance, the above-mentioned 図, which in Hong Kong (where they use traditional characters) should be 圖, in Guilin should be 图. The 広, which in Hong Kong should be 廣, in Guilin should be 广 (keeping in mind, however, that traditional characters are often still used in mainland China in certain situations, as in temple signs, paintings and all sorts of art, and, as a general rule, anything that should feel traditional).

I mean, c' mon, I'd say that using the proper writing system in the game's setting is far from a small detail, so I hope they won't disappoint in that regard with Shenmue 3.
Last edited by O Rei do Frango Assado on Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

O Rei do Frango Assado has received 2 thanks from: Switch, Yokosuka
O Rei do Frango Assado

Postby Switch » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:50 am

O Rei do Frango Assado wrote: I'm really hoping that, in Shenmue 3, they won't be using Japanese character variants in Chinese writing, as they did in Shenmue 2.

Notice, in the fist pic, the 図 instead of 圖, and, in the second pic, on the red sign on the right, the 広 instead of 廣.

Now, when I played Shenmue 2, all those years ago, on the Dreamcast, I didn't notice any of that. But a lot has happened in the meantime and, one of the things that happened, is that I've learned Chinese, learned about China, lived and studied there and travelled all over the country. And while this means that now, I'll be able to appreciate lots of new details in Shenmue 2 (waiting for the HD remaster to replay it, hopefully, not in vain) and in Shenmue 3, it also means that Japanese character variants in China stick out like a sore thumb. That's what happened when I came across these screenshots. And there are probably more examples. I'm pretty sure I've also seen a 仏 instead of 佛 (Buddha) in some screenshot too.

Frankly, I think they really dropped the ball on this one and find it very odd that, considering the fact that they even used real-world weather data for Yokosuka in 86, 87 (which, while a cool story, adds nothing to the experience, to be honest), they went ahead and used Japanese character variants for writing in China.

Also, since, as far as we know, Shenmue 3 will be set entirely in mainland China, they should use the simplified writing system which is used over there (thanks, commies!). For instance, the above-mentioned 図, which in Hong Kong (where they use traditional characters) should be 圖, in Guilin should be 图. The 広, which in Hong Kong should be 廣, in Guilin should be 广 (keeping in mind, however, that traditional characters are often still used in mainland China in certain situations, as in temple signs, paintings and all sorts of art, and, as a general rule, anything that should feel traditional).

I mean, c' mon, I'd say that using the proper writing system in the game's setting is far from a small detail, so I hope they won't disappoint in that regard with Shenmue 3.

Interesting point that I hadn't been aware of. By the way, does the "Man Mo" found on various signs around the streets approximate the Cantonese pronunciation?

Switch has received a thanks from: O Rei do Frango Assado
Switch
News Poster
News Poster

Postby O Rei do Frango Assado » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:58 pm

Switch wrote:
O Rei do Frango Assado wrote: I'm really hoping that, in Shenmue 3, they won't be using Japanese character variants in Chinese writing, as they did in Shenmue 2.

Now, when I played Shenmue 2, all those years ago, on the Dreamcast, I didn't notice any of that. But a lot has happened in the meantime and, one of the things that happened, is that I've learned Chinese, learned about China, lived and studied there and travelled all over the country. And while this means that now, I'll be able to appreciate lots of new details in Shenmue 2 (waiting for the HD remaster to replay it, hopefully, not in vain) and in Shenmue 3, it also means that Japanese character variants in China stick out like a sore thumb. That's what happened when I came across these screenshots. And there are probably more examples. I'm pretty sure I've also seen a 仏 instead of 佛 (Buddha) in some screenshot too.

Interesting point that I hadn't been aware of. By the way, does the "Man Mo" found on various signs around the streets approximate the Cantonese pronunciation?

Thanks! Love all of your translation analysis you regularly put out, by the way.
Well, I've never really learned Cantonese, but rather Mandarin, but I'm pretty sure I've seen, in some Cantonese context before, 文武 (which, in Mandarin, would be "Wen Wu)" written as "Man Mo" (and maybe also as "Man Mou"?), so it seems about right to me.
Having said that, this reminds me of something that now I remember having mentioned in another thread, back when Shenmue 3's locations were made known...

Baisha (白沙; lit. White Sand) and Bailu (白鹿; lit. White Deer) are both the Mandarin reading of those characters (as seen in that stretch goal artwork), but Choubu (鳥舞; lit. Bird Dance) is definitely not Mandarin and I'm pretty sure it's a Japanese reading. In Mandarin, it would read "Niaowu".
I find it very odd that they are naming two of the towns according to its Mandarin reading and then one of them according to its Japanese reading, as all three of them are in China. This inconsistency is somewhat troubling and it does make me worried that in Shenmue 3, once again, we may get Japanese character variants in China...
However, since I don't know Japanese, I don't actually know what Ys Net has been calling those towns in Japanese. I'm only going by what we get in the translated press releases and interviews. So maybe they've actually been using the Japanese reading for all three of them, but, for some reason, whoever translated it into English, decided to only keep the Japanese reading in Choubu and use the Mandarin reading for Baisha and Bailu?
Switch?

EDIT: Funnily enough, I missed an even more obvious Japanese character in that second pic I posted. There's a big red 実 there where there it should be, in fact, a 實, as that is the traditional Chinese form used in Hong Kong. So, in that one screenshot, we have two Japanese character variants (広 and 実 in place of 廣 and 實) on the shop signs. Which makes me think that, for all the Chinese writing, the developers simply used a Japanese program without taking into account the fact that Japanese uses certain variants not used anywhere in China. Seems pretty negligent, if you ask me, especially in a game with such minute attention to detail in its other aspects.

O Rei do Frango Assado has received a thanks from: Yokosuka
O Rei do Frango Assado

Postby Switch » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:38 pm

O Rei do Frango Assado wrote:
Switch wrote:

Thanks! Love all of your translation analysis you regularly put out, by the way.

You're welcome, and glad to hear that!

O Rei do Frango Assado wrote:Well, I've never really learned Cantonese, but rather Mandarin, but I'm pretty sure I've seen, in some Cantonese context before, 文武 (which, in Mandarin, would be "Wen Wu)" written as "Man Mo" (and maybe also as "Man Mou"?), so it seems about right to me.

I see, so at least here for the English they chose not to use the Japanese pronunciation ("Bunbu").

O Rei do Frango Assado wrote:Having said that, this reminds me of something that now I remember having mentioned in another thread, back when Shenmue 3's locations were made known...

Baisha (白沙; lit. White Sand) and Bailu (白鹿; lit. White Deer) are both the Mandarin reading of those characters (as seen in that stretch goal artwork), but Choubu (鳥舞; lit. Bird Dance) is definitely not Mandarin and I'm pretty sure it's a Japanese reading. In Mandarin, it would read "Niaowu".
I find it very odd that they are naming two of the towns according to its Mandarin reading and then one of them according to its Japanese reading, as all three of them are in China. This inconsistency is somewhat troubling and it does make me worried that in Shenmue 3, once again, we may get Japanese character variants in China...
However, since I don't know Japanese, I don't actually know what Ys Net has been calling those towns in Japanese. I'm only going by what we get in the translated press releases and interviews. So maybe they've actually been using the Japanese reading for all three of them, but, for some reason, whoever translated it into English, decided to only keep the Japanese reading in Choubu and use the Mandarin reading for Baisha and Bailu?
Switch?

Actually it's a mix of readings on the Japanese side as well: the names for Baisha (as you say, the Mandarin reading of 白沙) and Choubu (Japanese reading of 鳥舞) are the same as used in English, while Bailu village is called Hakkason (白鹿村) i.e. a Japanese reading. I guess they would want to keep the same pronunciation as used in Shenmue II for that one though.

Switch has received a thanks from: O Rei do Frango Assado
Switch
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Valascaziel » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:51 pm

I look forward to the soundtrack of Shenmue III.. I hope it contains the same ambience, bass and melody that the originals had.

My father's passion was music. He had an entire room dedicated to listening to classical music and soundtracks. Growing up, he often snatched up my game soundtracks and played them on his big speakers..

I lost him last night..at age 84..and I miss him so...but as I wandered, lost, into his music room, I hit the button on his player and out popped the Shenmue soundtrack.

It's the little things.
Valascaziel
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby ShenGCH » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:50 am

Valascaziel wrote: I look forward to the soundtrack of Shenmue III.. I hope it contains the same ambience, bass and melody that the originals had.

My father's passion was music. He had an entire room dedicated to listening to classical music and soundtracks. Growing up, he often snatched up my game soundtracks and played them on his big speakers..

I lost him last night..at age 84..and I miss him so...but as I wandered, lost, into his music room, I hit the button on his player and out popped the Shenmue soundtrack.

It's the little things.

Holy fuck... So sorry to hear about your loss, man, though how wonderful he was able to share at least some part of a beloved hobby with you, especially music which is such a powerful and important element of video games.

Take comfort in all the good memories you had together, and please stay strong :)

ShenGCH has received 2 thanks from: FlagshipFighter, Let's Get Sweaty
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III