Random Shenmue III Thoughts

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Random Shenmue III Thoughts

Postby Spaghetti » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:30 pm

We're pretty lucky in that respect.

Hiring Yuzo Koshiro might be too expensive, and Takenobu Mitsuyoshi is still at SEGA, but their compositions may still be included in the Shenmue music library for Ryuji Iuchi to clean up, rearrange, or re-record with better synths/mixed synths and live instruments.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Yokosuka » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:36 pm

A little glimpse of Shenmue III I randomly found in my folders.

Last edited by Yokosuka on Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby shredingskin » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:03 pm

Yokosuka wrote:
I had the initial idea to learn as less as possible about everything related to Shenmue for spoilers but I wonder if documenting the context is not better for gaming experience.

TBH Guilin is quite underwhelming in real life. The mountains are great, there are some boat trips that are pretty shenmuesque, but the caves were a little disappointing (the colors are just a light show).

I prefer the YS take on it, than the reality.

shredingskin has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby O Rei do Frango Assado » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:36 am

As far as we know, Shenmue 3 will take place entirely in Mainland China, in the 80s.
That got me thinking, I wonder how much, if at all, the game will portray some of the stuff that one would expect to see in communist China.
For instance, people wearing Mao suits, which were extremely common, both for men and women, at that time. For those who don't know, I'm talking about this.

Also, another thing that anyone who has ever been to China will tell you is that, even nowadays, ugly-as-sin red slogan banners (known in China as 横幅标语, "hengfu biaoyu") are all over the fucking place. Often, the message is not even political anymore, but they are still an extremely common sight.

We could even see some wall writings, left over in some of the buildings, from the time of the Cultural Revolution (1966 - 1976). One famous example are the ones seen in a beautiful ancient village, just outside Beijing city (but still in Beijing municipality), called Cuandixia, which I've been fortunate to visit.
Here are a few examples, saying such things as "Let us make use of Mao Zedong Thought to arm our minds" and "Hold high the great red flag of Mao Zedong Thought and forge valiantly ahead!"

Personally, I don't think we'll see any of this (especially any reference to the Cultural Revolution, which is something of a sensitive topic), as Shenmue seems to stay away from any political references and seems like it will focus more on China as a traditional, mystical place of kung-fu and whatnot. Not to mention that none of the character designs we've seen so far sport a Mao suit, which is understandable, as they want to create unique and visually appealing characters and if the majority of the NPCs wore Mao suits, that would be quite boring, no matter how accurate.
Still, I'm curious to see if the game will acknowledge that side of China at all.

O Rei do Frango Assado
Master of the Three Blades

Postby VukBZ2005 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:10 am

O Rei do Frango Assado wrote: As far as we know, Shenmue 3 will take place entirely in Mainland China, in the 80s.
That got me thinking, I wonder how much, if at all, the game will portray some of the stuff that one would expect to see in communist China.
For instance, people wearing Mao suits, which were extremely common, both for men and women, at that time. For those who don't know, I'm talking about this.

Also, another thing that anyone who has ever been to China will tell you is that, even nowadays, ugly-as-sin red slogan banners (known in China as 横幅标语, "hengfu biaoyu") are all over the fucking place. Often, the message is not even political anymore, but they are still an extremely common sight.

We could even see some wall writings, left over in some of the buildings, from the time of the Cultural Revolution (1966 - 1976). One famous example are the ones seen in a beautiful ancient village, just outside Beijing city (but still in Beijing municipality), called Cuandixia, which I've been fortunate to visit.
Here are a few examples, saying such things as "Let us make use of Mao Zedong Thought to arm our minds" and "Hold high the great red flag of Mao Zedong Thought and forge valiantly ahead!"

It's this question that perplexes me most. Like you, I personally don't think Suzuki will seriously go into that. However, I think some acknowledgment is necessary. China in the 1980's, while not what it is today, wasn't also a country that exposed to the world economy yet. That came the decade after, one which I remember greatly. Thus, it'd make sense to use mainland China's reality to craft Shenmue III in the same, semi-realistic fashion the first two games were.
VukBZ2005
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Steam: VukBZ2005
Currently playing: Shenmue III (PS4) ;)

Postby south carmain » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:24 am

O Rei do Frango Assado wrote: As far as we know, Shenmue 3 will take place entirely in Mainland China, in the 80s.

Personally, I don't think we'll see any of this (especially any reference to the Cultural Revolution, which is something of a sensitive topic), as Shenmue seems to stay away from any political references and seems like it will focus more on China as a traditional, mystical place of kung-fu and whatnot. Not to mention that none of the character designs we've seen so far sport a Mao suit, which is understandable, as they want to create unique and visually appealing characters and if the majority of the NPCs wore Mao suits, that would be quite boring, no matter how accurate.
Still, I'm curious to see if the game will acknowledge that side of China at all.

There's a guy in shenmue 2 that looks very Similar to Mao wearing one of those jackets in shenmue 2 so we will probably see them in 3. I think they want to release the game in China too though so I doubt that they'll put anything politic in it at all or it won't get past censors. Shenmue didn't really have anything political to begin with though anyway.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Chaikilla » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:25 pm

I have these spells where I completely detox myself from Shenmue. I might not think about the series for months, busy myself with other interests but I always gets reeled back in when I decide to replay one of the games for the billionth time.

Each individual playthrough has a different focus; from fishing for obscure pieces of dialogue to mastering every move. Then I get dragged back into thinking about S3 theories, watching speedruns, experimenting with the map glitch in S2. I wish I opened this can of worms closer to Shenmue 3's release because now I'm hooked again and a year (assuming it's not delayed) will seem like an age now.
Chaikilla

Postby shredingskin » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:45 pm

I don't think YS will even glance at the political side of china.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Rikitatsu » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:09 am

The scene was begging to be captioned

Rikitatsu has received 2 thanks from: John Doom, Spaghetti
Rikitatsu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Amir » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:11 am

OK I snickered at that 2nd gif :lol:

EDIT: I just noticed he has a closed fist when he lands the counter elbow assault, and then his palm is open in the infamous reverse shot.
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Postby Enigma » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:24 am

Just throwing this out there: I think now would be a perfect time if everyone wanted to resurrect the idea of sending a fruit basket to YS Net. Not only just as a thankful gesture for releasing the trailer, but also to drown out the venom currently being hurled at him which could dampen his spirits.

Shall we create a new thread to finally send this over to him from us, the Shenmue Dojo? (I wouldn't know where to start so kind of relying on the original organisers here for input).
Enigma
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Currently playing: SWOTOR

Postby Fei Fong Wong » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:40 am

I think it's best to leave them, constructive criticism is always good, Yu Suzuki is a smart person and i think he will know how to differentiate that to the poisonous rant of ignorant kids from the internet.

Fei Fong Wong has received a thanks from: Enigma
Fei Fong Wong
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PSN: Fei1984
Steam: Fei Wong
Currently playing: Pillars of Eternity

Postby Verderame » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:31 am

Almost completely off-topic but somehow still relevant:

Yesterday came out the first demo of Tomb Raider: The Dagger of Xian, a fan-made TR2 remake.

What does this have to do with Shenmue 3? Well, it's a Unreal Engine 4 game and its first level it's set up in China!

Can we expect Shenmue 3 to run and look like this on PC? I would be extremely satisfied in that case :-o

Verderame has received 2 thanks from: VukBZ2005, Yokosuka
Verderame

Currently playing: Outrun

Postby WildManofBorneo » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:19 pm

That Tomb Raider remake looks very good and really it's a testament to the versatility of Unreal 4.

With regards to art directions however, Tomb Raider and Shenmue 3 appear to have different aims. Where the recent Tomb Raider games have been occupied with achieving a certain sense of realism, Shenmue 3 has opted for a more whimsical or idealized approach.

One recent game which recalls the Shenmue 3 aesthetic is Namco's Summer Lesson (also an Unreal 4 powered game.)

phpBB [video]
Last edited by WildManofBorneo on Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WildManofBorneo

Postby qwerty3w » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:27 pm

VukBZ2005 wrote:It's this question that perplexes me most. Like you, I personally don't think Suzuki will seriously go into that. However, I think some acknowledgment is necessary. China in the 1980's, while not what it is today, wasn't also a country that exposed to the world economy yet. That came the decade after, one which I remember greatly. Thus, it'd make sense to use mainland China's reality to craft Shenmue III in the same, semi-realistic fashion the first two games were.

It would actually be great if the dev team can depict 80s China authentically, but I think it is likely beyond their capability. And Japanese market is too accustomed to their Orientalist stereotypes for Chinese people, like odangos and qipao etc.

The economic reform and opening-up of China started since 1978, and 80s was probably the most liberal period in its contemporary history. People got exposed to "Capitalist" products and ideas, and the government implemented significantly less censorship on medias compare to now. The indie film scene was prosperous, with a lot of topics that can't be touched nowadays. Chinese rock musics started during this time, and many earliest songs have political undertones. It was also the height of modern Chinese poems, with poets like Bei Dao and Gu Cheng etc, and poetry writing was really popular among college students. Ultimately all this cultural shift and liberty lead to June Fourth Incident.

Many Chinese people first came into contact with animes and Japanese video games during 80s, and China-Japan relationship was pretty good during this time, whether at the state level or civilian level. It was probably one of the reasons Suzuki choose this setting.

qwerty3w has received 2 thanks from: O Rei do Frango Assado, VukBZ2005
qwerty3w
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III