Random Shenmue III Thoughts

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Random Shenmue III Thoughts

Postby Hazuki00 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:12 am

I'm going to buy several copies of Shenmue 3 for my family and friends, what I don't know is when to buy them. Is it better to buy them when they release the game or now? I want to help in the success of the game so I don't know what would impact more.. :-k

Hazuki00 has received a thanks from: Yokosuka
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Waiting for Shenmue 3

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:48 am

I'd speculate that, following the Deep Silver deal, those few additional $29/$60 donations aren't really needed for boosting development, so you'll probably accomplish more for the game by purchasing through conventional channels on release, thereby contributing to official sales figures that will help determine the future of the series.

Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby KidMarine » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:08 am

^ Yep, buy multiple copies at launch. That's my plan.

KidMarine has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
KidMarine
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: KiddMarine
Steam: KiddMarine

Postby Hazuki00 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:09 am

Let's Get Sweaty wrote: I'd speculate that, following the Deep Silver deal, those few additional $29/$60 donations aren't really needed for boosting development, so you'll probably accomplish more for the game by purchasing through conventional channels on release, thereby contributing to official sales figures that will help determine the future of the series.

That's what I want to do! We must do everything that's in our hands for this saga to end as planned.

Hazuki00 has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Waiting for Shenmue 3

Postby ShenGCH » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:45 am

Hazuki00 wrote: I'm going to buy several copies of Shenmue 3 for my family and friends, what I don't know is when to buy them. Is it better to buy them when they release the game or now? I want to help in the success of the game so I don't know what would impact more.. :-k

I'm going to gift copies to people at random on Steam. That's always been my plan.

Man, I really wonder if Shenmue III will hit the top spot on Steam's 'Top Sellers'...

ShenGCH has received a thanks from: Yokosuka
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Kiske » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:17 am

I was at the Bowling yesterday with the kids and I saw this...

I had to take a picture and imagine how it could look in Shenmue 3.

I think it could be fun as a QTE training machine :king:

Kiske has received 2 thanks from: Let's Get Sweaty, VukBZ2005
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby Yokosuka » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:43 am

You got me, I first thought it was an official screenshot since the material we got from kickstarter updates doesn't look so different.

Yokosuka has received a thanks from: Kiske
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby KidMarine » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:36 am

October 2016:

August 2017:

KidMarine has received 3 thanks from: Gromber, Mr357, Spaghetti
KidMarine
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: KiddMarine
Steam: KiddMarine

Postby WildManofBorneo » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:21 pm

If Shenmue & Shenmue 2 are to get HD remakes, they will be announced at the upcoming TGS (Sep 21-24) or else it's probably not happening.
WildManofBorneo
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:53 pm

How many times has that been said about an arbitrary date on the calendar...
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby Valascaziel » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:52 pm

WildManofBorneo wrote: If Shenmue & Shenmue 2 are to get HD remakes, they will be announced at the upcoming TGS (Sep 21-24) or else it's probably not happening.

Mmm, gonna have to say negative on that speculation, boss. TGS hasn't been known for announcements or even a large scale in years.

Shenmue I and II HD has a far more likely chance of appearing at PSX, because the series has now merged into synchronicity with the PlayStation brand, or E3..they won't reveal it too early, as they want it within a reasonable time frame of III for maximized interest.
Valascaziel
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby WildManofBorneo » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:13 pm

Valascaziel wrote:
WildManofBorneo wrote: If Shenmue & Shenmue 2 are to get HD remakes, they will be announced at the upcoming TGS (Sep 21-24) or else it's probably not happening.

Mmm, gonna have to say negative on that speculation, boss. TGS hasn't been known for announcements or even a large scale in years.

Shenmue I and II HD has a far more likely chance of appearing at PSX, because the series has now merged into synchronicity with the PlayStation brand, or E3..they won't reveal it too early, as they want it within a reasonable time frame of III for maximized interest.

#-o

I completely forgot about PSX. It's being held in LA from Dec 9 -10.
WildManofBorneo

Postby Yokosuka » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:02 pm

Another screenshots I made in 4K (10% compression) from UE4's Tomb Raider 2 remake.

Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Chaikilla » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:12 pm

>>>>>SPOILERS BELOW

Yu's revelation that "romance" will be a key theme in Shenmue 3 really got me thinking, especially since he said that Ryo's desire for revenge will fade.

Will his feelings for Shenhua kill his lust for revenge? I'm starting to think that Shenhua might become his goal in more ways than one in future titles. Shenhua has a power which is almost definitely being sought after by the Chiyoumen and she already has a muscly goon breathing down her neck from what looks like the beginning of the game. There's a good chance she'll be captured but I'd wager that won't happen before Ryo begins to develop feelings for her, causing him to shift his goal from revenge to rescue the princess.

At first, that sounds kind of lame/generic/cliched but I think this shift in Ryo's goal(s) could open doors to some really interesting possibilities and tie in neatly with the Virtua fighter rpg spoilers we got a few years back, namely what some people assumed to be Ryo cradling the dead body of Ren.
http://segabits.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/698943.jpg[/img]]
Remember that Ren's goal is the "treasure" of the Qing dynasty, something which requires both mirrors in order to locate. If Ryo's goal of seeking out Lan Di in order to destroy him changes, that could create conflict between Ryo and Ren. Lan Di doesn't strike me as the type of guy who'll voluntarily give up the dragon mirror, so if Ryo loses his desire to kill him the chance of learning the treasure's location will also die too. Something which will not please Ren.

If Ryo does indeed develop romantic feelings for Shehua, maybe he'll use the mirror as a bargaining chip to free Shenhua from the Chiyoumen's clutches, as seen in the Shenmue Online trailer
phpBB [video]
from Ren's perspective, an action like this from Ryo would be seen as a betrayal. Ryo did halfheartedly promise him a share of the treasure and Ren made several, life-risking sacrifices because of the mirror. If Ryo were to give it up like that it could definitely create tension between the pair.

The more I think about the mirror, the more I think about the ring from the LOTR series. The mirror, much like the ring, seems to have the power to corrupt people and bring out their worst desires. Ren didn't give a damn about Ryo's pursuit of Yuanda Zhu until he laid eyes on the mirror. The allure of the mirror sucked him and drove him to recklessly risk his life on nothing but a mere hunch that it was valuable. It makes me think about Zhao Sunming...did the same thing happen to him? Did the mirror(s) corrupt him in some way, ultimately leading to his death? The parallel of history repeating itself does seem possible if that were the case.

I've even started to wonder if Iwao's final message to Ryo to "Keep friends close to you" has a deeper meaning. Maybe Iwao said this regretfully, perhaps Zhao Sunming became increasingly distanced and isolated from Iwao and began to change (possibly as a result of the mirrors' corruption) and Iwao imparted this advice in order for history to not repeat itself.
Chaikilla

Postby WildManofBorneo » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:22 pm

I just finished rewatching the recent Gamescom interview with Cedric Biscay. Something of interest which had struck me that I'd not noticed before was the discussion of the annual MAGIC event and the mention of the games contest where the winner walks away with a $100,000 Euro reward.

This is no small chunk of change and it makes me wonder just what amount Shibuya Productions has invested into Shenmue 3. Any company that can financially award a sum of $100,000 must also be profitable enough to fund its primary business ventures.

Shibuya Productions and YSNet launched the Kickstarter in July '15 with only a $2,000,000 reserve goal, knowing full well that this amount may be all the money that they might raise and yet were expected to create a game from. But with a $2 million budget, Yu Suzuki would have realized that he was setting himself up for failure by expecting to create a game with the depth and complexity of Shenmue on such a minuscule budget.

There had to be another source of funds that could allow him to (at least in part) realize his vision for Shenmue 3. For Shibuya Productions, this amount has to be large enough to ensure that the realized game achieves a generally positively consensus so that it in turn leads to a certain commercial success. The last thing any company wants is a negative return on investment.

So what amount is this investment from Shibuya Productions? It's hard to gauge without knowing the exact development team size, but if I had to guess I would wager somewhere in the ballpark of $5 million.
WildManofBorneo

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III