Random Shenmue III Thoughts

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Random Shenmue III Thoughts

Postby Spaghetti » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:52 am

Cedric Biscay, in 2015 - "The budget is about several million euros, funded widely by Shibuya Prod's own funds."

Take from that what you will. It's unlikely we'll ever hear an elaboration.

Source: http://www.shenmuedojo.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=49338

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: WildManofBorneo
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby SledgeNE » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:29 am

I remember me on a Shenmue-Reference in a Video Game. In "Fur Fighters" is a movie poster with the name "Shen-Moo". "Fur Fighters" is very underrated. I like that Game. It's really funny. :D

SledgeNE has received a thanks from: Truck_1_0_1_
SledgeNE
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Preparing for Shenmue III

Postby elfshadowreaper » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:56 am

Chaikilla wrote: >>>>>SPOILERS BELOW
The more I think about the mirror, the more I think about the ring from the LOTR series. The mirror, much like the ring, seems to have the power to corrupt people and bring out their worst desires. Ren didn't give a damn about Ryo's pursuit of Yuanda Zhu until he laid eyes on the mirror. The allure of the mirror sucked him and drove him to recklessly risk his life on nothing but a mere hunch that it was valuable. It makes me think about Zhao Sunming...did the same thing happen to him? Did the mirror(s) corrupt him in some way, ultimately leading to his death? The parallel of history repeating itself does seem possible if that were the case.

I was sort of laughing at this at first but then I remembered Chai. He's VERY Gollum-like. I don't think he so much wants the mirror as much as he wants to be useful to Lan Di. I wonder if Chai, like Gollum, will play a bigger part in the rest of the series. I know he has supposedly still been following Ryo since his defeat Yokosuka harbor. Very interesting.
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Chaikilla » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:52 am

elfshadowreaper wrote:
Chaikilla wrote: >>>>>SPOILERS BELOW
The more I think about the mirror, the more I think about the ring from the LOTR series. The mirror, much like the ring, seems to have the power to corrupt people and bring out their worst desires. Ren didn't give a damn about Ryo's pursuit of Yuanda Zhu until he laid eyes on the mirror. The allure of the mirror sucked him and drove him to recklessly risk his life on nothing but a mere hunch that it was valuable. It makes me think about Zhao Sunming...did the same thing happen to him? Did the mirror(s) corrupt him in some way, ultimately leading to his death? The parallel of history repeating itself does seem possible if that were the case.

I was sort of laughing at this at first but then I remembered Chai. He's VERY Gollum-like. I don't think he so much wants the mirror as much as he wants to be useful to Lan Di. I wonder if Chai, like Gollum, will play a bigger part in the rest of the series. I know he has supposedly still been following Ryo since his defeat Yokosuka harbor. Very interesting.

I'm glad somebody else is interested in the mystery surrounding Chai's character. The manual for the original Shenmue (and I'm paraphrasing from off the top of my head) says "who knows how he came to be" and his age is unknown. Pretty much everything about him is unknown, including whether or not he was acting independently during the time he stalked Ryo in Yokosuka or if he was instructed to do so. He's the only antagonist (that we know of) who knows that Ryo has the Phoenix mirror and his whereabouts during the events of Shenmue 2 were a mystery. The thought of him stalking Ryo off-screen during this time sends shivers down my spine :mrgreen: but that's what seems the most likely.

Who the hell is Chai? Where has he been since getting kicked into the middle of the ocean the night before Ryo landed in Hong Kong? What exactly are his connections to Lan Di? Has he revealed to anybody that Ryo has the other mirror? What is the explanation for his superhuman agility and reflexes? I really hope we find out more about him and he doesn't just make a short cameo for the sake of fanservice.
Chaikilla

Postby SledgeNE » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:57 am

Shenmue III is listed on Amazon.de.

Niao Sun is a enemy of Ryo, right? It will be very exciting how she will introduced in the game. Perhaps she knows Li Shao Tao?
SledgeNE

Currently playing: Preparing for Shenmue III

Postby KidMarine » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:11 am

KidMarine has received 3 thanks from: Chaikilla, SledgeNE, Spaghetti
KidMarine
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: KiddMarine
Steam: KiddMarine

Postby ShenGCH » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:38 pm

SledgeNE wrote: Shenmue III is listed on Amazon.de.

Niao Sun is a enemy of Ryo, right? It will be very exciting how she will introduced in the game. Perhaps she knows Li Shao Tao?

Niao Sun will indeed be an enemy of Ryo; she has been described as a manipulator who enjoys playing mind games with her adversaries, so it will be interesting to see how she will work this on Ryo. Little does she know, them titties probably ain't gonna have much of an effect on our boy ;-)

A fair amount of emphasis has been placed on her, so she may very well be Shenmue III's secondary antagonist.

ShenGCH has received a thanks from: SledgeNE
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Chaikilla » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:14 am

I wonder how kid Nocon feels about working on Shenmue 3. On one hand it must be a dream to help make the third installment a reality but I assume the game itself will be spoiled for him before it's released.
Chaikilla

Postby ShenGCH » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:38 am

Chaikilla wrote: I wonder how kid Nocon feels about working on Shenmue 3. On one hand it must be a dream to help make the third installment a reality but I assume the game itself will be spoiled for him before it's released.

It's not like he was stuffed into the back of a van and is being forced at gunpoint to work on the game; he knew, going in to the project, it was going to be spoiled for him, but, as you said, it's his dream to work on the game he so very dearly wanted to become a reality, so grievances about the plot being spoiled probably matter very little to him.

Heck, if I had even 1/10,000th of his talent, and they asked me to come aboard, I wouldn't give a fuck about the game being spoiled; I'd welcome it, in fact, because then I would have a much clearer vision and, with the new-found knowledge of exactly where the story goes, work my arse off to make sure the game turns out as great as the fans wish for it to be.
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby south carmain » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:53 am

Are 3d modellers told enough about the plot to have it significantly spoiled?
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:03 am

Let's Get Sweaty wrote:
mjq jazz bar wrote:
Let's Get Sweaty wrote:I asked this a while ago in another thread and no one answered me, so I'll try again to sate my curiosity: Why do some people call him KidNocon instead of NoconKid? His name on YouTube, where we all got to know him, is the latter, and it's taken from a TV show, No Con Kid, short for No Continue Kid, where the lead character is a young arcade whizz who therefore doesn't need to use continues. Are people presumptuously applying the custom of writing what we would consider their second name first, in spite of his known preference and the fact it isn't his actual name? There must be something I'm missing.

Didn't even know this was a thing.

It's an epidemic!

So far in this thread:

Spaghetti wrote:and individuals like KidNocon working from home.

shenhaZ wrote:KidNokon is working from home?

And then having already replied after me in this thread, someone goes and posts this:

WildManofBorneo wrote:Kid Nocon

Perverted reprobates, the lot of 'em! :hitrock:

sutoji wrote:Looking at this makes me want the passport model look to be used for Shenmue 3 instead, seeing how Kid Nocon most likely did all this himself, its already been done on the engine.

Chaikilla wrote:I wonder how kid Nocon feels about working on Shenmue 3.

:letitallout:

I realize everyone's going to start doing it now to push my buttons (I would), but still. :twitch:
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby Kiske » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:52 am

Now beware kids!

Kiske has received 2 thanks from: Let's Get Sweaty, Switch
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby Yokosuka » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:50 pm

How can you do that in Photofiltre lol?
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby ShenGCH » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:06 pm

south carmain wrote: Are 3d modellers told enough about the plot to have it significantly spoiled?

I'm not a 3D modeller, so I can only speculate and say it depends: if a 3D modeller is tasked with modelling, for example, damage/fresh scarring on a character, that would be quite spoiler-ish as context is likely to be part of the design document; if they're tasked with modelling certain story-related, important items, that would be quite spoiler-ish, too; and the same could certainly be said for locations (particularly interiors) and more, too.
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby OL » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:36 pm

I tend to stay out of the Shenmue areas of the forums for the most part, so excuse me if this gets talked about much.
But random thought: I really hope SIII maintains the replayability of the previous two games. I was thinking about it, and the first two have a very unique style of progression, where being at this place at this time will trigger a unique event, and there's absolutely no hints or indicators signalling exactly where and when they're placed. It all just happens organically, and as you play the game subsequent times you discover new little tidbits here and there, with no reward other than the experience of finding them. And yet, missing these scenes and then hearing about them later from others never makes it feel like you screwed up; it just gives you a little urge to try and see them next time. You're practically guaranteed not to see everything the first time through, and yet no playthrough of either game ever feels "incomplete."
Most games nowadays have absolutely nothing like that. Not that I can think of at least. Games nowadays tend to point you directly toward any additional scenes or events that might happen. And if they don't, then people label the un-marked events as easter eggs. By that logic, Shenmue and Shenmue II were just littered to the brim with "easter eggs," but never acted like they were anything super secret; they were just extensions of how lively the game world was.
I really hope Shenmue III follows through in the exact same way. I don't want any glowing indicators on a world map telling me where everything is; I want to stumble across it all myself, or hear about things on the forum here. I think "modernizing" the game too much with things like that would absolutely kill some of the appeal of subsequent replays.

OL has received 4 thanks from: Henry Spencer, Rakim, SickOctopus, Truck_1_0_1_
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III