Random Shenmue III Thoughts

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Random Shenmue III Thoughts

Postby munchmunch » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:04 pm

KidMarine wrote:
Henry Spencer wrote:My random thought: Has the notebook been confirmed as coming back for III?

Yes, you can definitely see it in one of the dev room videos.

Here:

munchmunch has received 2 thanks from: Henry Spencer, KidMarine
munchmunch
Master of the Three Blades

Postby SledgeNE » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:39 pm

I love the making of-Video from the official Youtube-Channel of Shenmue. It's very interesting to see how Yu managed the Development, it must be a Deja Vu when he began his work with Shenmue 3. Do you think Yu can be angry?
SledgeNE

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Preparing for Shenmue III

Postby shenmue852 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:51 pm

ShenGCH wrote:
shenmue852 wrote:Ren either sacrifices himself or betrays Ryo in a way that he's forced to kill him.

I kind of think that with Yu Suzuki's statements about Ryo not being driven by revenge later in the story, and how much the theme of the games themselves seems against the idea of Ryo killing Lan Di to avenge his father, that Ryo will defeat Lan Di and stop his Chi You plot without killing him, and soon afterwards there's a twist where Ren betrays and ambushes him and Ryo is forced to counter in a way that's fatal, despite not having wanted to kill, and this has a deep effect on him afterwards. Ryo has never killed, is probably unlikely to kill anyone in Shenmue III, and I think there's strong indications that he won't deliberately kill Lan Di, so it would be a pretty strong twist.

One of the biggest reasons I think this is the case is because in the final chapter card, Ryo wanders off into the desert in Northwest China, presumably leaving Shenhua and Xiuying behind. To me that suggests a kind of bittersweet or not entirely happy ending.

Before I saw the chapter cards I kind of assumed the final chapter would end with Ryo returning to Yokosuka and taking over the Hazuki dojo, and that all the good guys back in Hong Kong and China also lives happily ever after, but I guess the story is more complex and interesting than a standard RPG.

Ren may be driven by material greed, but would he really be so petty as to betray Ryo for whatever 'reward' is up for grabs, even after everything they've been through? I wouldn't be surprised if Ren even considered Ryo a friend after their ordeal; the latter having proven himself as being much more than the "stupid kid" he was originally viewed as. Is Ren even that skilled of a fighter either? He's a scrapper, that's for sure, but going up against Ryo? He'd be stupid for even trying, especially after the amount of skill and knowledge Ryo would have gained by that point in the story.

Ren sacrificing himself seems the more likely scenario, but perhaps I'm being too optimistic and the dude really is just a black-and-white scumbag.

shenmue852 wrote:Xiuying is alive in the final chapter card. It's not proof that she's alive at the end of the story, but there's certainly nothing to suggest that she dies either. Whereas with Ren it's more than suggested that he dies, and that Ryo wears his bandana as a headband afterwards.

Ah, of course; Xiuying's right there in the last card. Stupid me. Nice catch regarding Ryo wearing Ren's do-rag as a bandanna, too, though I'm a little sceptical that he would be wearing it so soon after Ren's death. Had he been wearing it in the final card alone, I would be 100% convinced, but perhaps their intention was to highlight, and be somewhat poetic about, it. You're good at this :)

i think Ren is a loveable rogue, but that's not the same as having a heart of gold. He is no Han Solo. He bonds with Ryo over their near death experiences and against-the-odds triumph in Kowloon, but at no point has his motive changed.

the game goes out of its way to illustrate that Ren is widely considered dangerous and not trustworthy, to the extent that even Xiuying thinks it's a horrible idea for Ryo to seek him out. after his initial antagonism, Ren's portrayal shifts to being an ally with antiheroic traits, but his last scene in Shenmue II shows that as much as he may have a bit of affection for Ryo, he has not changed as a person. treachery is specifically about betraying friends. and even once they were on the same side, Ren has been somewhat treacherous, what with the double sided coins and always making Ryo do the more difficult/dangerous thing.

Ren is not only extremely tough but also a dirty fighter with a penchant for ambush, which makes him a dangerous enemy despite his disadvantage in martial arts training compared to Ryo.

also, one of the fortune tellers in the first game predicts betrayal in Ryo's future. So far Ryo hasn't been betrayed by anyone. the current list of people in a position to betray Ryo are: Shenhua, Xiuying, Joy, Guizhang, Master Chen, and Ren. There's only one person out of that list that would make any sense.

all that being said, I could be wrong, and there's only so much you can tell from those pictures. but I think that Ryo killing Lan Di is too predictable an ending, and Yu Suzuki has already said Ryo abandons his revenge motive, while Ren's betrayal makes sense with all the stuff I've just gone over, but I never would've predicted it without seeing the chapter cards.

also, come to think of it, although Ryo and Ren themselves may not yet realize it, their objectives are inherently at odds- Ryo will probably be seeking to protect the ancient artifacts that Lan Di seeks to use along with the mirrors in some occult way, while Ren wants to steal them because they're worth a lot money.
shenmue852
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby ShenGCH » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:55 am

Not sure if this has been posted here before, but I was just leafing through the Guinness World Records 2017 - Gamer's Edition (my sister got it for me last Christmas) on a whim, and happened to come across these:

Neat!

ShenGCH has received 4 thanks from: alexironaek, KidMarine, Mr357, SledgeNE
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby BlueCreeperBoy12 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:27 am

Are there actual spoilers in this thread or is it just speculation? How can anyone have got their hands on the story?
BlueCreeperBoy12

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby Sonoshee » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:41 pm

BlueCreeperBoy12 wrote: Are there actual spoilers in this thread or is it just speculation? How can anyone have got their hands on the story?

Some of it has been revealed by Yu in interviews and the Shenmue postmortem.
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby BlueCreeperBoy12 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:13 pm

Sonoshee wrote:
BlueCreeperBoy12 wrote: Are there actual spoilers in this thread or is it just speculation? How can anyone have got their hands on the story?

Some of it has been revealed by Yu in interviews and the Shenmue postmortem.

If people have access to the rest of the story it's time for me to leave the forums until the game comes out (probably a good thing because my posts were all bad). I haven't read those spoilers, only the first few lines before I stopped.
Well. See you in a year, everyone. Unless I need to say something important.
Last edited by BlueCreeperBoy12 on Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BlueCreeperBoy12

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby sand4fish » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:55 am

Yeah the GDC postmortem way back in 2014 pretty much gave out Ryo's entire story arch, though in a generalized manner and very lacking in details. Had Shenmue 3 not moved forward, I still would feel like that itch in the back of my head about Ryo's journey has already been scratched.

What keeps me excited about the future games storyline wise is actually to see how the supernatural aspect of the plot and the nature of Shenhua's prophecies are going to be played out, which would open an entire new world to Ryo and us players. Definitely I'm not hoping for Dragonball Z levels of absurdity but rather some Indy's Temple of Doom low key type of magic mysticism.
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Rikitatsu » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:19 am

I wish the daylight sky looked more deep blue-ish like in the previous games.

Not a fan of the cyan looking skies we've seen so far in S3 personally.

Rikitatsu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby KidMarine » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:09 pm

It's looking a bit deeper here

I don't think you have too much to worry about.
KidMarine
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: KiddMarine
Steam: KiddMarine
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Shenmue_Legend » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:01 pm

KidMarine wrote: It's looking a bit deeper here

Wow, the graphics look awesome! Very underrated.
Shenmue_Legend
Banned
Banned

Postby ShenGCH » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:15 pm

Not sure if this has been brought up before, but has it been confirmed whether the yuan is going to be the currency used in the game? If so, I wonder if players will be given the opportunity to exchange the money themselves or whether it will be done automatically.
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby mrandyk » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:24 am

ShenGCH wrote: Not sure if this has been brought up before, but has it been confirmed whether the yuan is going to be the currency used in the game? If so, I wonder if players will be given the opportunity to exchange the money themselves or whether it will be done automatically.

I was going to say that the Yuan must have been used in Shenmue 2, given that it's in Hong Kong (China). I now know that Hong Kong has their own currency.

Was there an exchange from Yen to Hong Kong Dollars that I don't remember?
mrandyk
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby SickOctopus » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:13 am

mrandyk wrote:
ShenGCH wrote: Not sure if this has been brought up before, but has it been confirmed whether the yuan is going to be the currency used in the game? If so, I wonder if players will be given the opportunity to exchange the money themselves or whether it will be done automatically.

I was going to say that the Yuan must have been used in Shenmue 2, given that it's in Hong Kong (China). I now know that Hong Kong has their own currency.

Was there an exchange from Yen to Hong Kong Dollars that I don't remember?

There was. At the beginning of the second game, it's mentioned in Ryo's notebook that he converted his money while on the ferry.

SickOctopus has received 2 thanks from: Truck_1_0_1_, VukBZ2005
SickOctopus
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PSN: AJK1986
Steam: AllyK86
Currently playing: Life is Strange

Postby Rikitatsu » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:08 pm

KidMarine wrote: It's looking a bit deeper here

Unfortunately it's off-screen, so it's hard to tell if the colors are accurate or not.
Rikitatsu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III