Random Shenmue III Thoughts

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Random Shenmue III Thoughts

Postby BalHan » Sun May 13, 2018 4:16 pm

With the releases of both Shenmue HD and S3 currently scheduled for 2018, it’s quite conceivable that both games could be released around the same time. This leads to a quagmire (albeit a rather pleasant one) of getting copies of both games around the same time and not being sure which one to play first lol.

As there was a clarion call for the longest time for Shenmue HD, there’s a danger that the release of sHD could be overshadowed by the release of S3. I mean could you really rein yourself in and not play S3 first? I know I couldn’t. Play sHD first whilst S3 sits on the shelf for weeks collecting dust? Not a chance.

Now, releasing S3 in early 2019, well that just seems like the logical thing to do with the impending release of sHD. It allows us to really sink our teeth into sHD without giving in to the temptation to play both games intermittently.

This may sound silly but I kinda wanna get sHD out of my system, so to speak, before I even get my copy of S3 so that I’m fully prepared for, and can give my undivided attention to, S3.
Last edited by BalHan on Mon May 14, 2018 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
BalHan
Asia Travel Representative

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby darksniper » Sun May 13, 2018 11:43 pm

I'm almost starting to believe a delay would be the best case scenario for Shenmue III. I think a delay would cause an unintended increase in hype for Shenmue III. Yeah there will be some "journalists" criticizing the delay for their own motives. But given the forecast of I and II HD on the upward trend, there will be a whole new generation of gamers who will understand why we feel the way we do about Shenmue III. This will do nothing but add to the mystique surrounding it.

Money talks, and Shenmue HD is the alarm clock that is finally going to get Sega to wake the fuck up.

If a delay means getting Sega officially on board for Shenmue III and/or future installments, Kiwami remakes and a consistent release schedule for titles beyond III, then I'm all in.

darksniper has received 2 thanks from: BalHan, FlagshipFighter
darksniper
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby SledgeNE » Mon May 14, 2018 1:52 am

I don't like the vocable "delay". :P If there is a reason, then okay, but i'm good things and i want to think positive. :)
SledgeNE
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Preparing for Shenmue III

Postby MJMW » Mon May 14, 2018 11:39 am

(incessant twaddle)

I'm sure Yu Suzuki knows what he's doing and I trust in him to deliver us the full Shenmue experience. While part of me still wishes it would've been made on the DC, I'm still grateful that we've been given the chance to continue the story and I look forward to seeing what new features there are within the game.

Also, and no offence to the English voice actors, but I hope there's an option to choose the Japanese voices.
Last edited by MJMW on Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
MJMW

Currently playing: FFXII

Postby Spaghetti » Mon May 14, 2018 12:06 pm

A game engine is just a tool. How much it "feels" like Shenmue is based on a lot more than just that, and obviously there are going to be differences thanks to a 20 year march of technology.

For what it's worth, Cedric considers it the real deal from what he's played.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Rikitatsu » Wed May 16, 2018 5:43 am

Eric Kelso still hasn't been contacted by YsNET to reprise his role, it's looking likely that there will be a new voice actor for Ren, which would be a shame. According to the last AM2 podcast he is looking forward to reprising his role, he even cleared his schedule and refrained from taking vacations.

I thought it was suspect last year when they've said that the English voice actors for most main characters have already been cast, but Eric, Paul, and Lesle weren't contacted at all... Fast Forward 6 months and they still haven't been approached. With the recording starting later this month, I'd say the chances that they'll be cast again is pretty low.
Rikitatsu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby johnvivant » Wed May 16, 2018 6:17 am

Rikitatsu wrote: Eric Kelso still hasn't been contacted by YsNET to reprise his role, it's looking likely that there will be a new voice actor for Ren, which would be a shame. According to the last AM2 podcast he is looking forward to reprising his role, he even cleared his schedule and refrained from taking vacations.

I thought it was suspect last year when they've said that the English voice actors for most main characters have already been cast, but Eric, Paul, and Lesle weren't contacted at all... Fast Forward 6 months and they still haven't been approached. With the recording starting later this month, I'd say the chances that they'll be cast again is pretty low.

what a disappointment.

#SaveEricKelsoAsRen
#SavePaulLucasAsLanDi

I hope its not too late for them to return.
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Spaghetti » Wed May 16, 2018 6:27 am

Unfortunate but not expected. I had a feeling this might happen when we found out the plan was to record Corey in LA for the English dub, they may just be hiring/recasting locally to remove travel, accommodation, and expenses costs of bringing Eric from Japan or Paul from Singapore. Although that said, I seem to remember Lisle lives in California these days so...?

I'm gonna miss Eric's Ren, but these things happen.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Supa » Wed May 16, 2018 10:51 am

Maybe it was semantic, and he hasn't been contacted by YS Net, but someone else...?

I didn't listen to the podcast yet. But just throwing that out there.
Supa
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Rikitatsu » Wed May 16, 2018 1:22 pm

It's not just Ren, that's the issue.

All these characters will sound different:

Ren
Chai
Lan-Di
Joy, Guizhang, Fuku-san (Phone Call)

That's honestly troublesome, especially as someone like me who's experience with Shenmue 2 was that of the dub (XB).

I wonder if Yu Suzuki knows that these three voice actors are actually looking forward to be recast? And how much the fans want them to return?

Supa wrote:Maybe it was semantic, and he hasn't been contacted by YS Net, but someone else...?

I didn't listen to the podcast yet. But just throwing that out there.

Well, he didn't exactly say YsNET in the podcast, he said "They didn't contact me yet"
Rikitatsu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby darksniper » Wed May 16, 2018 1:38 pm

MJMW wrote: ' there will be a whole new generation of gamers who will understand why we feel the way we do about Shenmue III'

I don't know about that. I know I should be grateful that we're even getting Shenmue 3 at all, but I think part of Shenmue's charm came from AM2/Dreamcast and that's the reason why we're so nostalgic about it. Ever since 3 was announced I've been pessimistic about it running on Unreal Engine because I don't think it'll give it the same feel.

If it has the graphics of Yakuza but still plays like Shenmue, I'd be fine with it.

I don't know to what degree, but I've seen random forum posts & comments across several sites from several people over the years who have said they have not played Shenmue due to it's unavailability and have always been interested in checking it out. There is definitely an intrigue for some people who are brand new to the series. Those are the people I think we need to reach as the existing fans are going to buy the game anyway.
darksniper
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Henry Spencer » Wed May 16, 2018 6:37 pm

That's a shame about Eric Kelso and Paul Lucas since they voiced a lot of Shenmue characters and voiced them well. Paul's Lan Di's voice has such a great sound to it that's intimidating and also his Chai voice is also perfect for that character. Will be interesting to hear what the new VAs sound like, then. Hopefully similar. Chai needs to sound similarly mad and Lan Di needs that deep intimidating sound. here's hoping they cast them well. Not too fussed over the Ren recast, I personally preferred Kelso's Guizhang voice (which I couldn't believe was the same VA who did Fuku-san, since it sounds so different).
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby GYO6161 » Wed May 16, 2018 6:53 pm

Man it bumps me more if Eric/Paul/Liesel don't come back than any delay could. :cry:
GYO6161
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: God of War

Postby Elevensixty » Wed May 16, 2018 7:00 pm

I'm behind the news here- have other VAs been cast? Is it confirmed? Or maybe it hasn't been done yet and we're jumping the gun?
Elevensixty
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PSN: elevensixty
Currently playing: Polybius

Postby Spaghetti » Wed May 16, 2018 8:40 pm

Elevensixty wrote: I'm behind the news here- have other VAs been cast? Is it confirmed? Or maybe it hasn't been done yet and we're jumping the gun?

No cast outside Corey or Masaya Matsukaze are confirmed yet, but the Christmas update told us most main parts in either language had already been filled. Could be argued the returning characters aren't main parts, but I don't figure they'd remain uncast by the point where recording is due to imminently start.

Also we know a new Japanese Shenhua actress was cast without an announcement, so they're definitely not sat on their hands not getting this stuff done.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III