Random Shenmue III Thoughts

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Random Shenmue III Thoughts

Postby BlueCreeperBoy12 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:44 pm

Wouldn't it be funny if Sega made back the money they lost from the original Shenmue by selling an HD remake?
BlueCreeperBoy12
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby mjq jazz bar » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:49 pm

Isn't the story that they made back the money they lost on Shenmue with the Virtua Fighter franchise?
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby mjq jazz bar » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:50 pm

Valascaziel wrote: Another year, another week of conferences with the rumor mill circulating...

I don't get my hopes up. These tweets are reassuring, but I'm really hoping to see something by years end, as they have hinted before.

Shenmue HD is the biggest elephant in the room these days. Something doesn't make nearly $7 million in funding from fans and you just sit back and ignore the previous entries. But...Sega, as we all know, gonna Sega.

https://twitter.com/SEGA_OFFICIAL/statu ... 3750149120

SEGA isn't stupid. They know what they're doing.
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby O Rei do Frango Assado » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:08 pm

mjq jazz bar wrote:
Valascaziel wrote: Another year, another week of conferences with the rumor mill circulating...

I don't get my hopes up. These tweets are reassuring, but I'm really hoping to see something by years end, as they have hinted before.

Shenmue HD is the biggest elephant in the room these days. Something doesn't make nearly $7 million in funding from fans and you just sit back and ignore the previous entries. But...Sega, as we all know, gonna Sega.

https://twitter.com/SEGA_OFFICIAL/statu ... 3750149120

SEGA isn't stupid. They know what they're doing.

After 3 trips to Japan, I finally decided to go and check out Yokosuka, just a couple of months ago.
Other than a few similarities in Dobuita Street and around, I didn't really get much of a Shenmue vibe from it, to be honest. Would have been nice to have that guide, as it's unlikely that I'll ever go there again. :sad:
O Rei do Frango Assado

Postby sutoji » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:50 pm

Are these pictures actually in-game of a previous playable Shenmue 3? I hope the game we get has this location.
sutoji
Banned
Banned

Postby delvec19 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:11 pm

When the heck is the R button?!
delvec19

Postby sutoji » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:40 pm

delvec19 wrote: When the heck is the R button?!

It's the Right Trigger. If you check the moves list it has the R icon just like in that picture.
sutoji
Banned
Banned

Postby delvec19 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:19 pm

Never saw a round purple one like that though. Weird.
delvec19

Postby south carmain » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:44 pm

sutoji wrote: Image

Are these pictures actually in-game of a previous playable Shenmue 3? I hope the game we get has this location.

I was told it was cut content from the shenmue 2 guilin section.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Mystere » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:50 pm

It's Bailu Village. Those pics surfaced around 15 years ago IIRC. The basic consensus is that Shenmue II on Dreamcast was originally developed to include it, but was probably cut to give Shenmue II a clearer ending.
Mystere
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Sappharad » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:45 pm

Mystere wrote:It's Bailu Village. Those pics surfaced around 15 years ago IIRC. The basic consensus is that Shenmue II on Dreamcast was originally developed to include it, but was probably cut to give Shenmue II a clearer ending.

No it isn't. It's Miao Village, which we also have loading screens for. The pics came from Shenmue.com in one of the "blog" posts there, and they were of the area cut out between Languishan and meeting Shenhua. It's the explanation as for why the scenery suddenly changes between two areas when you're on the path at the beginning of Disc 4.

Someone mentioned recently, in the last month I think, that this was even talked about in one of the video interviews posted during the Shenmue 3 kickstarter. That video explicitly confirmed that the screenshots were from the cut area.

He starts talking about it at 2 minutes 15 seconds into this video:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ys ... ts/1278225

Sappharad has received 3 thanks from: Abraham_1, Mr357, O Rei do Frango Assado
Sappharad
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby O Rei do Frango Assado » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:55 am

From a modern perspective, it's almost hard to believe that people (me included) used to consider Shenmue's graphics as absolutely amazing. Seeing those screenshots now almost makes my eyes bleed.

I've said this before, but if there's one good thing of us having to wait almost 20 fucking years for Shenmue 3, is that we'll be able to enjoy its world in a level of detail and beauty that would be unthinkable in the Dreamcast.*
In other words, even if Shenmue 3 isn't the most incredible-looking game of all times (and it probably won't be), it's still going to look a million times better than it would if it had been released way back when, even with Sega's support and a gazillion-dollar budget. So, there's always a bright side to things.

*Though if we had gotten Shenmue 3 back then, it would have looked amazing back then, just as Shenmue 1 and 2 did. Still, you get my point.
O Rei do Frango Assado

Postby Shenmue_Legend » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:21 am

O Rei do Frango Assado wrote:

From a modern perspective, it's almost hard to believe that people (me included) used to consider Shenmue's graphics as absolutely amazing. Seeing those screenshots now almost makes my eyes bleed.

I've said this before, but if there's one good thing of us having to wait almost 20 fucking years for Shenmue 3, is that we'll be able to enjoy its world in a level of detail and beauty that would be unthinkable in the Dreamcast.*
In other words, even if Shenmue 3 isn't the most incredible-looking game of all times (and it probably won't be), it's still going to look a million times better than it would if it had been released way back when, even with Sega's support and a gazillion-dollar budget. So, there's always a bright side to things.

*Though if we had gotten Shenmue 3 back then, it would have looked amazing back then, just as Shenmue 1 and 2 did. Still, you get my point.

But it does look amazing (to me anyway). Look at the environments, they are truly beautiful and it has that "magical" feeling that few games have.
Shenmue_Legend
Banned
Banned

Postby delvec19 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:32 am

Shenmue's graphics still hold up. Not sure what you're smoking.
delvec19

Postby south carmain » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:09 am

delvec19 wrote: Shenmue's graphics still hold up. Not sure what you're smoking.

Not really. The textures are low resolution and everything has rough edges due to the polygon limitations. It looked good for its day but it certainly doesn't hold up today from a graphical standpoint.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Currently playing: okami hd

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III